Sponsored

Exhaust set up to make most of the FPC sound!?

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Well, my car isn't here yet, but I figured I should already start modding her by buying parts!

From what I read, stock GT350 headers were made in a way to give it some V8 cross-plane character like sound. Am I right in saying that?

Now, I want to get away from that. I want exotic in tone and I'm sure plenty of people here are looking for the same thing!

What are the options? Long tube vs short tube? Equal length? Resonator delete + Kooks headers? X pipe vs H pipe? H pipe with Kooks headers?

Kooks headers by themselves? I saw the Instagram video and thought it sounded higher pitched with just Kooks headers on an otherwise stock x-pipe/stock muffler set up + you can keep the Selective Mode exhaust.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!
Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
...and to take advantage of the firing order of the engine and the exhaust pulses.

Kooks is the only aftermarket supplier that has released a full system. No equal length short tube offerings yet. Personally, the only exhaust mod I would consider other than a resonator delete, which is for me by default, is equal length short tubes ASSUMING the sound profile is what I would think it would end up being. We just don't know yet.

OP
OP
VoodooV8

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
...and to take advantage of the firing order of the engine and the exhaust pulses.

Kooks is the only aftermarket supplier that has released a full system. No equal length short tube offerings yet. Personally, the only exhaust mod I would consider other than a resonator delete, which is for me by default, is equal length short tubes ASSUMING the sound profile is what I would think it would end up being. We just don't know yet.
Well yeah, I figured to take advantage of it would be to design it around the firing order and whatnot. :p
Well, what do short tubes do? Instead of long tubes? All I could read off here is that long tubes are significantly louder?

Would short tube + x-pipe + resonator delete on stock exhaust most likely be the formula for high pitched wail?

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Also, keep in mind that Joe gained 24whp with the long tubes before tuning, then he gained another 53whp on a lower reading dyno after tuning and adding a JLT. Properly tuned long tubes are worth a lot of power! 77whp is tough to do with typical NA motors with such minimal changes.

Sponsored

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
77whp? was this the full kooks exhaust with green cats and mufflers? I hadn't seen any tuned results yet. What did it do to torque?

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
77whp? was this the full kooks exhaust with green cats and mufflers? I hadn't seen any tuned results yet. What did it do to torque?

That's with Kooks full exhaust, catted LTs, JLT CAI, and a 93 octane tune. I don't know about the changes in torque or power curves because he hasn't posted the dyno sheet yet. Still anxiously waiting for that myself. :)

In his Z28 vs. GT350 half mile race thread, he said he gained 53whp more after the JLT and 93 tune.

superman07

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350
A LT with cats back to the stock mufflers minus resonator would probably be my preference as I need the quieter option. Not sure if this will be possible.

krt22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Also, keep in mind that Joe gained 24whp with the long tubes before tuning, then he gained another 53whp on a lower reading dyno after tuning and adding a JLT. Properly tuned long tubes are worth a lot of power! 77whp is tough to do with typical NA motors with such minimal changes.
Im not really sure you can just add it up like that. 2 different days, 2 different dynos. The baseline on the MD without the tune might not have been as healthy as the run on the DJ. He would need to go back to the first dyno and do a pull with the new tune and see what the final delta was.

Sponsored

Nataphen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Mustang GT
Im not really sure you can just add it up like that. 2 different days, 2 different dynos. The baseline on the MD without the tune might not have been as healthy as the run on the DJ. He would need to go back to the first dyno and do a pull with the new tune and see what the final delta was.

That's true, but it's probably pretty close still. Even if it's only a 53whp gain combined, that's pretty impressive. The stock headers may be just that bad of a bottleneck. Any header that completely changes the sound of the engine is probably going to change a lot of the engine's ability to breathe.

FPC engines typically gain a lot more from headers than CPC engines do too. I don't know exactly why, but 60-80whp is a pretty common gain from headers and a tune amongst Ferraris. Let's cross our fingers that that's the case with the GT350 too.

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
What if one just wants to remove the resonators? Can that be done easily?

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A LT with cats back to the stock mufflers minus resonator would probably be my preference as I need the quieter option. Not sure if this will be possible.
Long tubes kill the cats or make you go with high flows which in most cases, might as well not even be there in terms of sound. Lethal Performance proved that killing just cats on this car makes it INSANELY loud.

OP
OP
VoodooV8

VoodooV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Long tubes kill the cats or make you go with high flows which in most cases, might as well not even be there in terms of sound. Lethal Performance proved that killing just cats on this car makes it INSANELY loud.
So longtubes are basically headers with no cats?

So Kooks headers with xpipe and stock muffler so far is the highest, most highest pitched system out? Is it that raspy in person.. or is that the cell phone video? :p

EDIT: Also.. check this out!

[ame]
Sponsored