Sponsored

MT Head 2 Head - 2018 Camaro SS 1LE vs 2018 Mustang GT

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
GM is definitely killing it in the performance department these days. Cadillac, Camaro, Vette, some of the best handling cars around right now. I think Ford is right there with the GT350, so it would be nice to see some of that trickle down to the standard Mustang. The PP2 is close, but some coolers would make it just about perfect.

Love what Ford did with the Ford GT. Probably the only car I’d be willing to spend $500,000 on. Will probably “settle” for a mid-engine vette at some point, assuming it maintains the pace of improvements that the Vette has been seeing. Hopefully Ford will continue pushing the performance envelope as well, but I honestly don’t have much faith given their recent cuts and strategy. A Lincoln GT based on the Mustang would be a good start.

-T
That mid-engine Vette looks like it could be amazing. The C7 was a great platform as is.
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Exactly. They have their place, but it's foolish to think it's somehow an advantage for cars that will never see the track.
Internet bragging rights my dude.

"My car has an extra 50lb of track-focused-gear that I never use"

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Welll I would assume most people optioning for PP2 do intend to track the car more than someone who is buying stock or even PP1. If cooling will be an issue why not address it? Ford addressed it with the GT350 in 2017+ by just making the track pack standard after the reports/negative press about people having cooling issues (I know, why these people did not buy the track pack to start is beyond me, but Ford clearly felt the need to get in front of it).

I guess we need to see some runs with the PP2 equipped cars but I gotta think there will be cooling issues that owners will be forced to address with aftermarket parts or from Ford performance.

millhouse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT PP
Welll I would assume most people optioning for PP2 do intend to track the car more than someone who is buying stock or even PP1. If cooling will be an issue why not address it? Ford addressed it with the GT350 in 2017+ by just making the track pack standard after the reports/negative press about people having cooling issues (I know, why these people did not buy the track pack to start is beyond me, but Ford clearly felt the need to get in front of it).

I guess we need to see some runs with the PP2 equipped cars but I gotta think there will be cooling issues that owners will be forced to address with aftermarket parts or from Ford performance.
I think everyone is in the agreement that the PP2 should have come with adequate coolers.

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
There are a lot of misconceptions here as to how the "magnetic suspension" works and what it can do.

First, there is no such thing as "magnetic suspension". They are magnetic shocks. The shocks are the only things that can be adjusted electronically.

The mag shocks only work well, if:
1 - The rest of the suspension (geometry, springs, anti-roll bars, attach points) also works well.
2 - Their programing is done well.

Ford just started using magnetic shocks. GM (and its subsidiaries) invented the technology and have been using it and learning to tun it for the better part of a decade - on Corvette, Camaro, CTS-V, ATS-V, etc.

Who do you think has a better chance of getting it right?
FORD.

Sponsored

cgreen5150

cgreen5150
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, Premium, PP, Recaros
The Gt350 is magical?? I have not seen any track times for the GT350, the SS1LE does on the other hand have many track time's listed. Has there ever been a SS1LE GT350 H2H on any track? For 10k more and 70 horse power more I would hope it would be competitive. The GTLM class that the GT competes in, Corvette won the Manufacture's title. For a street car you are correct, GM has nothing on the $500,000 car, but the $100,000 ZO6 was only 1.6 seconds slower on the VIR, and the $70K ZL11LE was 2.7 seconds slower.

Huge difference in price, but the word "only" in front of 1.6 seconds and 2.7 seconds slower?! That amount of time on a racetrack is eternity! :lol::lol:

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner

Sponsored

1320'

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Avenger...sadly
This comment is hilarious:
"My call out remains. I'm still waiting to see a '18 GT on the street so I can fkn smash em. Shoot, even a blowered GT will not run with a Zl1. Sorry."

Has to be joking. SC Mustang GTs on here are running much faster than the ZL1 in the 1/4.
Notice how Syphon23 ignores the non-professional driver times of 11.9x...
He's a real piece of work..apparently he street races with his wife and kids in the car.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Will probably “settle” for a mid-engine vette at some point, assuming it maintains the pace of improvements that the Vette has been seeing. Hopefully Ford will continue pushing the performance envelope as well, but I honestly don’t have much faith given their recent cuts and strategy.
Or maybe magical things will happen to C7 Grand Sport prices and I'll get my taint tickled and do something stupid... :D

A Lincoln GT based on the Mustang would be a good start.

-T
For a long time I disagreed with this. But then I remember Audi has something called the "A5" and BMW has this thing called the "4 Series Coupe". I just think the biggest roadblock for that happening is the Lincoln name itself. It's just not bespoke to that platform language, at least not now anyway.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I saw that post, and it just made me laugh... especially because I have a video on my phone of a tune/tire only 2018 pulling hard on a ZL1... FROM A ROLL :lol:

Syphon23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Corvette
Awwe you guys have to follow me to the Camaro Boards. How sweet. Love you too!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
Honestly, I just browse over there sometimes when I'm bored at work. It's nice to stay updated on the poster boys for Autism Speaks
Sponsored