Sponsored

Will there be a GT500R version?

MustangGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R, LB / White OTT
Forgive me if I'm short on the history of the GT500 and I honestly have not been following the GT500 buzz until recently, but is it likely Ford will follow the same model with the GT500 as they did with the GT350 and offer an R model?
Sponsored

Last edited:

NEO Auto

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
First Name
NEO
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Forgive me if I'm short on the history of the GT500 and I honestly have not been following the GT500 buzz until recently, but is it likely Ford will follow the same model with the GT500 as they did with the GT350 and offer a R model?
I think it is definitely a possibility.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'm hoping so.....

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe

Sponsored

Big Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda6
I would believe so. If they really want to go after the ZL1, they would need a vehicle that comes in at a similar price point as the base ZL1. Then if they want to go after the Z1LEm I would think they would need to have an R version.

Or they split the difference with a vehicle that outperforms the ZL1 handily, but not quite the levels of the Z1LE

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
I, too, would hope any Hi-po GT500 would be badged KR. If they're sticking with the GT500 theme, then that makes sense.

If you recall, "our man" indicated there might be two versions and we were able to surmise that the later version would feature some form of additional electric motors.......and that could be the KR.

Given that S650 appears to be cancelled, this would also give Ford that "Hybrid" Mustang for the '21MY that was announced almost a year ago. Whilst I think most of us assumed at the time (and was quite possibly Ford's intention) it would be an Ecoboost 4 with added electric motors.......this is quite possibly the best way to introduce a hybrid Mustang without upsetting the purists :)

On a separate theme, I wonder if Shelby American will produce a SuperSnake version of the new GT500. As you know, the current SuperSnake is based on the 5.0 GT......although at the reveal of the '18 SuperSnake widebody, Gary Patterson indicated it would feature the new FP/Roush blower, so possibly not.

However, a Shelby'd '19 SuperSnake using the '19 GT500 as a base would certainly be interesting!

9secondko

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 cobra
I would believe so. If they really want to go after the ZL1, they would need a vehicle that comes in at a similar price point as the base ZL1. Then if they want to go after the Z1LEm I would think they would need to have an R version.

Or they split the difference with a vehicle that outperforms the ZL1 handily, but not quite the levels of the Z1LE
The zl1 1le should be outperformed by the base gt500.

Ford has the engine and suspension tech to do it without overinvesting and can do more at a better price should they choose.

cosmo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Mustang GT
The zl1 1le should be outperformed by the base gt500.

Ford has the engine and suspension tech to do it without overinvesting and can do more at a better price should they choose.
Base GT500 won't come with comparable tires or aero to the ZL1 1LE. It will be faster than the standard, ZL1, but not as fast on track as the ZL1 1LE. It will be closer to a ZL1 1LE than the ZL1 though.

That's what the GT500 R will be for. Wasn't in the original scope of the program, until the ZL1 1LE came out.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Base GT500 won't come with comparable tires or aero to the ZL1 1LE. It will be faster than the standard, ZL1, but not as fast on track as the ZL1 1LE. It will be closer to a ZL1 1LE than the ZL1 though.

That's what the GT500 R will be for. Wasn't in the original scope of the program, until the ZL1 1LE came out.
That’s right. No Cup fires for the regular 500.

Also the ZL1 1LE is fucking fast, Ford might not be able to match it. I’d also say, they couldn’t match it AT ALL with comparable hp. The reason the 500R (if it exists) will win is because of the 50-150 more hp.

Sponsored

Flat Plane Drifter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
WTB- a 50th anniversary Shelby GT500 vert-;)
I, too, would hope any Hi-po GT500 would be badged KR. If they're sticking with the GT500 theme, then that makes sense.

If you recall, "our man" indicated there might be two versions and we were able to surmise that the later version would feature some form of additional electric motors.......and that could be the KR.

Given that S650 appears to be cancelled, this would also give Ford that "Hybrid" Mustang for the '21MY that was announced almost a year ago. Whilst I think most of us assumed at the time (and was quite possibly Ford's intention) it would be an Ecoboost 4 with added electric motors.......this is quite possibly the best way to introduce a hybrid Mustang without upsetting the purists :)

On a separate theme, I wonder if Shelby American will produce a SuperSnake version of the new GT500. As you know, the current SuperSnake is based on the 5.0 GT......although at the reveal of the '18 SuperSnake widebody, Gary Patterson indicated it would feature the new FP/Roush blower, so possibly not.

However, a Shelby'd '19 SuperSnake using the '19 GT500 as a base would certainly be interesting!
I remember reading Shelby American stating that the 2014 GT500’s were the last ones to get the Super Snake package added to the GT500.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
No way a base GT500 on street tires would beat the aero-heavy and almost racing slick 1LE. :crazy:

I just hope it doesn't have the lame (probably fake) hood scoops on some of the renditions.

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
That’s right. No Cup fires for the regular 500.

Also the ZL1 1LE is fucking fast, Ford might not be able to match it. I’d also say, they couldn’t match it AT ALL with comparable hp. The reason the 500R (if it exists) will win is because of the 50-150 more hp.
Bmac made it sound like it'll come with cup tires. I at least hope its a stand alone option for upgraded tires not requiring an over the top aero package. If it comes with SC2 or similar it'll DESTROY the 1LE on the strip and with that huge power advantage it'll hang with the 1LE on track. For comp purposes the 350R down over 100 hp is 1 sec behind the ZL1 at lighting lap and the 1LE is about 5-6 seconds faster. You add that much power, DCT and SC2 or equally grippy tires as the 1LE, it'll be very close. I bet track type will decide the winner.

https://www.caranddriver.com/featur...torical-data-every-lap-time-every-car-feature
Sponsored