Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Order - Question

amfm144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2012 Mustang V6
Hey Guys,

I'm getting ready to place my order for 2018 Mustang GT premium this weekend. I want to know if you guys received your Stang within 2 to 3 months or did it take more than that ?
Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
When I ordered our 2010 it took 13 weeks because of the weather (snow) in the north. That was a long wait. When I ordered our '13 it only took 4 1/2 weeks as everything went smoothly, and luckily Ford was running a line of convertibles at the time. The dealers will give you a window of 6 - 8 weeks, but there are variables always in play. I've ordered four vehicle in the past, and three fell into the 6 -8 weeks window though.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
I just spoke with an autonation dealership near my work and he quoted 8-12 weeks to receive an ordered mustang. He also told me x plan can't be used when placing orders so I'm a little hesitant to take his word for it.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I just spoke with an autonation dealership near my work and he quoted 8-12 weeks to receive an ordered mustang. He also told me x plan can't be used when placing orders so I'm a little hesitant to take his word for it.
Any of the plans can be used for an order but dealers can decide if they will accept a plan. So basically, the dealer is betting you'll take a car from stock.

ApollosWar89

Analyst
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cody
Vehicle(s)
In the Market
Any of the plans can be used for an order but dealers can decide if they will accept a plan. So basically, the dealer is betting you'll take a car from stock.
I told them exactly what I wanted and nothing else. He also told me there was a markup on ordering a vehicle... he also had no idea what color Orange Fury was when I told him the color of choice.

Sponsored

OP
OP

amfm144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm talking to Autonation dealer too, the saleman didn't know a lot about the trims and packages but he did say they accept X plan.

I told them exactly what I wanted and nothing else. He also told me there was a markup on ordering a vehicle... he also had no idea what color Orange Fury was when I told him the color of choice.

OP
OP

amfm144

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the response. Guess, it all comes down to how lucky you are :)

When I ordered our 2010 it took 13 weeks because of the weather (snow) in the north. That was a long wait. When I ordered our '13 it only took 4 1/2 weeks as everything went smoothly, and luckily Ford was running a line of convertibles at the time. The dealers will give you a window of 6 - 8 weeks, but there are variables always in play. I've ordered four vehicle in the past, and three fell into the 6 -8 weeks window though.

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
As I said, he is betting you will buy a car from stock (or be suckered into paying extra to order). That could be the individual salesperson who needs money NOW or a dealer who has way too much in stock (or otherwise dumb).

Any dealer CAN order a Mustang on an X plan (or other plan). Any car bought on an x (or other) plan has to be sold for an exact amount set by Ford with no additional fees or markup.

Its possible, your salesperson has sized you up wrong and sticking with that assessment. The earmarks are there.

I would talk to the sales manager and if that doesn't get you a special order on an x plan, then move on to another dealer.

why not

never fast enough
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steven
Vehicle(s)
2018 gt fastback (ordered 7/28/17)
Find another dealer! X plan is an easy sale for them. They still make money. As for Orange Fury, most dealers won't order it into stock so they want to steer you away. Find another dealer and get it placed soon. The order banks for the 2019 open in March!!!!!

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
Simple: find another dealer. Go in person, be real, and know EXACTLY what you want.
1st question to the dealer: will you order a Mustang for me on XPlan. If yes proceed, if no say thanks and leave.

Dealers do not have to take XPlan- just be aware.

In most states a custom order is not binding--buyers can walk. Thus dealers are often shy about a custom order that is 'unusual' as they do not want to get stuck with the car if the buyer disappears.

An unnamed dealer here in NorCal famous for years on no ADM (now sold and new owner plays adm games) but good luck getting the old owner to Order a Grabber Blue car (maxed out GT)--they did it once and got stuck with the car..took them 8 months to sell it at a loss. Not sure about how touchy dealers will be over Orange Fury. Dealers like safe girly man colors like: white, black, grey, silver and freak at the thought of real color (bright red, light blue, yellow, orange, green).

Lastly-- allocation. Many do not understand allocation. Most dealers have stock (and credit) limits with Ford and cannot just 'order away' (It ain't Amazon). So your Order may sit and sit for a while before the Zone manger picks it up for the build. 2 guys order the same car, same town, same build specs but from two different dealers in the same town on the same day and arrival time between the 2 cars could be 4-6 weeks apart. The dealership that is moving cars and constantly rolling over inventory is gonna get their order filled a lot faster then the dealer that has sitting inventory.

Last edited:

Sponsored

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
As others have said, he's hoping your a sucker. I would move on to another if possible.

jesse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT vert
Lastly-- allocation. Many do not understand allocation. Most dealers have stock (and credit) limits with Ford and cannot just 'order away' (It ain't Amazon). So your Order may sit and sit for a while before the Zone manger picks it up for the build. 2 guys order the same car, same town, same build specs but from two different dealers in the same town on the same day and arrival time between the 2 cars could be 4-6 weeks apart. The dealership that is moving cars and constantly rolling over inventory is gonna get their order filled a lot faster then the dealer that has sitting inventory.
THIS... I wish I had known more about this before I put in my order. I went to a smaller family owned dealership to order thinking I would get better service from people who had been in business for a while. The closer dealership had about $1,200 of dealer add ons on ever single vehicle on the lot and I did not want to support a dealer that does this. I flat out asked about allocation and timing as well as about a dozen other items items including X-plan. The answer went from "I will have to check on the allocation, but it only takes 8-10 weeks to get the car" to "The owner is working with the ford rep. for the allocation" after the dealer got my deposit. (I should have known better, but I was excited to order the car exactly as I wanted it)

At this point I am hoping they move a few Mustangs so that my order will be processed by Ford with feb allocation.

section30

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Auto Lightning Blue
I'm in the Houston area too. Houston is a very competitive market and most dealers will beat X-plan (at least as of today's date), plus you can't get some of the current cash rebates using X. As mentioned somewhere else in this thread, either contact the sales or internet manager directly, or better, simply do the same with all the other dealers in the area and ask. There are a bunch of them here and you have nothing to lose by trying........

The 8 - 12 weeks is probably close, or at least it was when I ordered mine.

sbrenskell

Waiting for OF
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stacie
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Gt Premium FB Orange fury
Vehicle Showcase
Mine took more than 5 months from when I originally ordered it. And less than 5 months when I edited the order. But I ordered before they were building them. Do I regret it? Absolutely NOT! I love my baby! He's getting ceramic coated right now. But I do have to say that this car will catch attention especially if someone knows it's a 2018. Mine is the only 2018 I've seen on the roads. Which makes it that more special.
Webp.net-resizeimage.jpeg
Sponsored