Sponsored

Oil cooler failure - first hand experiences?

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Please find my letter to Ford Australia.
I apologize for the delay.

[MENTION=15912]Bushranger[/MENTION] Hi Peter any word from Ford? Seems they've had the letter for nearly 2 months by now?

Cheers
Sponsored

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
ACCC have some good info on their website.
Cadogan on one of his vids went through the process recently.
If your car has not been abused and serviced according to the handbook, should be place to go and try.

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
[MENTION=15912]Bushranger[/MENTION] Hi Peter any word from Ford? Seems they've had the letter for nearly 2 months by now?

Cheers
Well I just got back from a few weeks in NZ (a lot of nice Mustangs over there). No mail from Ford. I'm going down to the post office tomorrow to see if there is any reason my letter may not have reached its intended receiver. Then a follow up email to them asking why no reply. A painfully slow process but I won't give up.

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
https://www.motoring.com.au/ford-mustang-springs-a-leak-110686/

Ford Mustang springs a leak

Leaky oil-cooler in Ford's popular V8 Mustang GT subject to dealer fix – but not safety recall
Asked how customers could find out if their Mustang GT has a faulty engine oil-cooler, Ford Australia’s PR boss said it will be up owners to take their car to a Ford dealer and request an inspection.

No correspondence will be issued to customers to alert them to the potential fault.

“We have issued a Technical Service Bulletin to dealers who will inspect Mustangs on customer request or at their normal service intervals,” said Gunsberg.

Sponsored

Streetfighter Mustang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.streetfighter.net.au
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Mustang
They just keep avoiding the real issue. What happens after warranty expires???????
This is the problem.
Regardless of warranty or replacement, the issue is that the factory oil cooler is housed under the exhaust manifold.
As an oil cooler this is not ideal as temperatures are extreme in this area.

Oil is both fed and returned through this cooler , however surrounding temperatures are not suitable for optimum are even average oil cooling.

Our Streetfighter Engine oil cooler system replaces the problematic factory cooler with a high performance unit behind the front grill , where it receives maximum ram, cool dense air.
It will also completely eliminate the chance of failure as per the OEM factory cooler.
https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/product/streetfighter-engine-oil-cooler-package-gt-v8/

OzS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
GT Fastback
Had mine serviced yesterday and quizzed them about this issue.

My dealership has not seen a failure so far but they were well aware of it. I've got just over a year to run with my warrantee. One of their suggestions was to consider the extended warrantee but you shouldn't have to do this just because of their poor oil cooler.

I asked if I could (at my expense) have a new oil cooler fitted (presumably they have fixed the problem on the new ones by now) but that idea wasn't met with much enthusiasm.

There's room here for someone to make an aftermarket design that is similar to the OEM rather than Streetfighter's more track focused one.

I think before the end of my factory warrantee I will make sure I've changed the cooler one way or another.

jank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT TY
There's room here for someone to make an aftermarket design that is similar to the OEM rather than Streetfighter's more track focused one.

I think before the end of my factory warrantee I will make sure I've changed the cooler one way or another.
That sounds like a smart plan. If the new OEM oil cooler part is really new, it should make sense to at least swap it out.

The Ford Australia PR guy was quoted as saying:

“Anything built [in] 2018 is unaffected. But keep in mind some dealers might have 2017 stock,” he said.
So assuming the dealer gets a new part, it should be right?

MUS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
This is the problem.
Regardless of warranty or replacement, the issue is that the factory oil cooler is housed under the exhaust manifold.
As an oil cooler this is not ideal as temperatures are extreme in this area.

Oil is both fed and returned through this cooler , however surrounding temperatures are not suitable for optimum are even average oil cooling.

Our Streetfighter Engine oil cooler system replaces the problematic factory cooler with a high performance unit behind the front grill , where it receives maximum ram, cool dense air.
It will also completely eliminate the chance of failure as per the OEM factory cooler.
https://www.kpmmotorsport.com.au/product/streetfighter-engine-oil-cooler-package-gt-v8/
My concern is that having the aftermarket oil cooler fitted may result in ford Aus denying a warranty claim if anything else goes wrong with the engine as this would not be an oe part ?

Josh_TypeX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue GT
Rob Herrod shared the following statement on the S550 Australia Mods Facebook Page today:

"Oil cooler issues .

Updates I have direct from Ford Managment .
Anybody who has an issue with a mustang even modified are to call 13ford and speak to them direct .
I asked the question regarding cars coming out of warranty and these will be covered as well .
If anybody has a problem that they feel is not being treated right contact me .
Even when a car is out of warranty the car will still be covered ."

Sponsored
OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
[MENTION=8774]Street[/MENTION]fighter

David in this thread you state:

Yet on the Streetfighter oil cooler upgrade thread post # 93 https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2132046#post2132046 you state:

'We are still unsure if the standard oil cooler is failing due to it positioning under the exhaust manifold'.

Pretty sure I'm not missing anything here or quoting out of context, so can you clarify what you mean please.

Thanks

Bushranger

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT auto fastback
Rob Herrod shared the following statement on the S550 Australia Mods Facebook Page today:

"Oil cooler issues .

If anybody has a problem that they feel is not being treated right contact me .
Even when a car is out of warranty the car will still be covered ."
Could you please assist my understanding of this statement. Who is "me" in the above quote. Is it Ford Management? Is there a name?

12baller12

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ciaran
Vehicle(s)
Ruby Red GT Fastback
Vehicle Showcase
Could you please assist my understanding of this statement. Who is "me" in the above quote. Is it Ford Management? Is there a name?
‘Me’ is Rob Herrod.

Maaaark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic 2016 Mustang GT Fastback Manual
[MENTION=8774]Street[/MENTION]fighter

David in this thread you state:

Yet on the Streetfighter oil cooler upgrade thread post # 93 https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2132046#post2132046 you state:

'We are still unsure if the standard oil cooler is failing due to it positioning under the exhaust manifold'.

Pretty sure I'm not missing anything here or quoting out of context, so can you clarify what you mean please.

Thanks
He also said "I suspect a combination of both the position and build quality of the factory oil cooler is resulting in failures."

So the bottom line is that the factory cooler is rubbish.

OP
OP

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
Agreed, and the kit appears to be a solution.

But if we know the cause - as yet unconfirmed - there might be an option to spend $200 on something like a heat shield, or a filter boss that removes the cooler all together, instead of $1200 on a fitted cooler kit that's generally overkill for a street driven car.

Just interested in getting clarification or an update.
Sponsored