Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
That's the cheapest I've seen R wheels. With how much Ford has invested in aluminum though I'd think they could produce them for much less then CF.
I'm sure Ford can produce aluminum wheels cheaper. My GT350 has aluminum wheels. They aren't nearly as light as the CF wheels though.
Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
I just went to Fords web site and built an GT350R and it was just shy of 70k. How are people suggesting the new SE is only going to be 5k more than the 350R?! I would think that is extreme wishful thinking! Dodge is selling every Demon they can build at 90-100k and I bet they end up making more due to demand. If we see the carboned up, twin turbo, DCT super stang we are all lusting for it ain't going to be 75k!!! Not realistic at all. It would cost more than that just to slap a SC on the 350R. I predict the Halo stang will be in the Demon price range and Ford will sell everyone they make!!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I'm sure Ford can produce aluminum wheels cheaper. My GT350 has aluminum wheels. They aren't nearly as light as the CF wheels though.
Do you know roughly what the weight difference is? I'd much rather see them use CF on subframe and frame where they could easily cut 100+ pounds or more, rather then expensive wheels I'd be scared to get a scratch on!

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
I just went to Fords web site and built an GT350R and it was just shy of 70k. How are people suggesting the new SE is only going to be 5k more than the 350R?! I would think that is extreme wishful thinking! Dodge is selling every Demon they can build at 90-100k and I bet they end up making more due to demand. If we see the carboned up, twin turbo, DCT super stang we are all lusting for it ain't going to be 75k!!! Not realistic at all. It would cost more than that just to slap a SC on the 350R. I predict the Halo stang will be in the Demon price range and Ford will sell everyone they make!!
I think it'll start around 75k with a manual, not end there. I think with DCT and some packages/options it'll be in the 90k range. I'm definitely thinking this SE car will have many more options and customization then the 350R.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
Do you know roughly what the weight difference is? I'd much rather see them use CF on subframe and frame where they could easily cut 100+ pounds or more, rather then expensive wheels I'd be scared to get a scratch on!
52lbs give or take a pound for all four over the base GT350 wheels.

50lbs of unsprung rotational mass is said to be worth up to 10 times the amount in sprung structural weight.

However, a more reasonable number is five times which is accurate in my opinion.

Sponsored

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06

50lbs of unsprung rotational mass is said to be worth up to 10 times the amount in sprung structural weight.

However, a more reasonable number is five times which is accurate in my opinion.
Really, wow I had no idea it was so much. Well I hope they use a good a aluminum wheel that can make the difference roughly 20-25 lbs then do some CF on the frame to save another 125-150+ lbs.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
It will be interesting to see where they use the carbon fiber.
Like this thread states the DCT could be standard on this car and not even have a manual option, though I'd find it hard to believe.
If that's the case, it will need to start out with that price in mind.
I still don't see a supercharged GT500 that's going to compete with the zl1 being more than 10k over their price - loaded for loaded.
A twin turbo v8 - THAT is ☆ different ☆ than the competition. I could see that bringing an extra 10k into the mix.
So basically if a zl1 is 73k loaded I could see a TT gt500 in the high 80s.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro

Light wheels make a big difference in acceleration, but also in handling and ride quality, which is more difficult to quantify. Any/every part of a car that gets used will get damage over time. I agree with trying to save more weight, but I think the CF wheels are a significant part of the reason why the GT350R has gotten such terrific reviews.

I think CF wheels are a really great idea. They won't corrode like aluminum. Since they are painted you can bodywork scratches out and repaint.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'd be pleasantly surprised if this new GT500 or KR version is 3900 lbs or less. Would be a total BEAST at 3900- and 800HP. 300 lbs less than the demon without any passenger seats, but it may take ripping out the rear seat of the GT to be able to get that weight.
Either way...60 hp right there if ford can get it to 3900 which I'm sure isn't impossible.
My 350R is 3600 lbs so if there can be a few other weight saving measures, the super charger/intercooler/lines/ coolers/ fluids shouldn't be over 300lbs...but it depends on that DCT.
Could you imagine a 3800lb 800hp car in stock form...yikes!.. not impossible but very difficult and pricey. 800hp with a DCT = 1 quick mother.

ProblemHouston

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1965 Mustang Fastback GT350 replica
CF front fenders and truck lid to start. Maybe the roof after that. Then mover over all the carbon composite items from the 350 and put a different style CF wheel on it as well. With all of that I wouldn't be shocked at a $80-85k base sticker.

Sponsored

tws123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang gt premium
your probably right! when I was thinking of price I was working with a base gt350 at a msrp of 56 then add a10 and tvs for a msrp of around 70. I wonder what cost difference is between a10 vs dct tvs vs turbos and aluminum vs carbon fiber wheel? I just hope the cars power to weight ratio is .2 or 5lbs per 1 horsepower.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
CF front fenders and truck lid to start. Maybe the roof after that. Then mover over all the carbon composite items from the 350 and put a different style CF wheel on it as well. With all of that I wouldn't be shocked at a $80-85k base sticker.
Doing all that I'd force the check into their hands.

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
your probably right! when I was thinking of price I was working with a base gt350 at a msrp of 56 then add a10 and tvs for a msrp of around 70. I wonder what cost difference is between a10 vs dct tvs vs turbos and aluminum vs carbon fiber wheel? I just hope the cars power to weight ratio is .2 or 5lbs per 1 horsepower.
Doing all that I'd force the check into their hands.
+1

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
Light wheels make a big difference in acceleration, but also in handling and ride quality, which is more difficult to quantify. Any/every part of a car that gets used will get damage over time. I agree with trying to save more weight, but I think the CF wheels are a significant part of the reason why the GT350R has gotten such terrific reviews.

I think CF wheels are a really great idea. They won't corrode like aluminum. Since they are painted you can bodywork scratches out and repaint.
I really don't know that CF wheels are that big of an advantage. They did a test of the 350 vs the 350R and it was only marginally faster and that was with less weight the more aggressive suspension settings, wing, CF wheels and probably the biggest advantage is the tires on the R.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917

After reviewing (link above) of what materials they used, I think they could save a lot of weight incorporating CF to the frame and a CF roof would really help lower the center or mass. Also CF hood and fenders would be good as CF is a little better at handling heat then aluminum.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I really don't know that CF wheels are that big of an advantage. They did a test of the 350 vs the 350R and it was only marginally faster and that was with less weight the more aggressive suspension settings, wing, CF wheels and probably the biggest advantage is the tires on the R.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15917

After reviewing (link above) of what materials they used, I think they could save a lot of weight incorporating CF to the frame and a CF roof would really help lower the center or mass. Also CF hood and fenders would be good as CF is a little better at handling heat then aluminum.
You are correct. You don't know. I don't either. You could be right as those other components do make a difference in how the GT350R functions. I still believe that super light wheels have much less inertia and road feel/handling will be significantly improved.

Everyone who has reviewed the GT350 and GT350R has said that the GT350 is great, but don't drive the R first or you will want it.

The Mustang is a unibody car. There's no frame to replace with CF.

CF is not better at handling heat than aluminum. That's why there is a ceramic coating inside the front CF rims on the R to shield the CF rim from the brake heat. The regular aluminum GT350 rims don't need that shield. To be super detailed about it, the actual carbon fibers can handle heat, but the epoxy component in the carbon fiber rims doesn't handle heat nearly as well.
Sponsored