Sponsored

0w40?

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP, Recaros, Koni Yellow, 350r springs.
I've heard excellent things about 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, and I'm considering using it in my 2016 GT. I'd like to hear what you think.

I'm amazed how high my oil pressure is on cold start (90psi at idle), which is a good indicator the oil is not flowing well. I wait until it drops to 60psi or so before revving higher than 4000. This is why I'm leaning toward the '0' - better flow at low temp. Also, the car is frequently driven around at 1500rpm when warm. I never use full throttle at those low rpm, but I also hope the '40' will provide more support for the plain bearings at normal temps and low engine speeds. For normal street conditions 0w40 seems a good choice for me.

I also track my car - very hot; very high rpm. I'm actually concerned in these conditions that '40' might be too heavy, even when very hot. I think at these elevated rpm, a very thin oil will provide plenty of support (i.e., the 5w20 Ford recommends). Of course, a thicker oil will provide more support, as long as it can get into the bearing.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This got no traction in the Maintenance section, so here goes ...

I've heard excellent things about 0W40 Mobil 1 “FS” European Car Formula, and I'm considering using it in my 2016 GT. I'd like to hear what you think.

I'm amazed how high my oil pressure is on cold start (90psi at idle), which is a good indicator the oil is not flowing well. I wait until it drops to 60psi or so before revving higher than 4000. This is why I'm leaning toward the '0' - better flow at low temp. Also, the car is frequently driven around at 1500rpm when warm. I never use full throttle at those low rpm, but I also hope the '40' will provide more support for the plain bearings at normal temps and low engine speeds. For normal street conditions 0w40 seems a good choice for me.

I also track my car - very hot; very high rpm. I'm actually concerned in these conditions that '40' might be too heavy, even when very hot. I think at these elevated rpm, a very thin oil will provide plenty of support (i.e., the 5w20 Ford recommends). Of course, a thicker oil will provide more support, as long as it can get into the bearing.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The engine is suppose to get 5-20. They make 0-20 if you think the 0 will help. But 0-40 is probably fine too.

I'd just go with quality synthetic in the proper weight, it's what the engine was engineered around.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
I missed this part;

The 2013-2014 BOSS 302/5.0 Track Pack cars called for 5W50. I'd think that means a heavier oil when the engine sees max loads and temps is fine.

Under heavy load and temps is exactly when you'd want the heavier oil.

Sponsored

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
It depends on if the crank bearing is designed for such thick oil or not. If you are using too thick of oil for the crank bearing gap, the heat can't be taken away as fast as a thinner oil, you can create more problem. The Boss has a thick oil bearing design so it will be fine.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If you are really interested in oils and viscosity go to bobistheoilguy.com. You will learn a lot. Among other things, oil viscosity is not 100% consistent manufacture to manufacture and synthetics are very different from conventional oils. The forums there will have lots of info. I just checked the manual on Ford's website and it calls for 5w30 not 5w20. Motocraft 5-30 may not be exactly the same viscosity as Mobile 1 5-30 as each of these have a tolerance band.

The Mobile 1 0-40 European blend is an interesting choice. That is BMW LL01 certified, which is also true of the old Castrol 5-30 sythetic (black bottle). If you really want to get into experimenting with oils, it gets pretty complicated.

OP
OP

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It depends on if the crank bearing is designed for such thick oil or not. If you are using too thick of oil for the crank bearing gap, the heat can't be taken away as fast as a thinner oil, you can create more problem. The Boss has a thick oil bearing design so it will be fine.
This is exactly what I'm worried about. On one hand the 0w40 will give more support in the bearing, but I'm not certain the bearing was designed for oils of this viscosity.

I'm pretty damn sure Ford does a great job of making durable engines for normal use. I'm not sure my use is 'normal'. When I'm at the track, I use all the power available, meaning max rpm. On the street I'm pretty gentle, with the occasional blast to redline.

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
This is exactly what I'm worried about. On one hand the 0w40 will give more support in the bearing, but I'm not certain the bearing was designed for oils of this viscosity.

I'm pretty damn sure Ford does a great job of making durable engines for normal use. I'm not sure my use is 'normal'. When I'm at the track, I use all the power available, meaning max rpm. On the street I'm pretty gentle, with the occasional blast to redline.
0-40 oil performs as 0 viscosity oil cold, and 40 viscosity oil "hot". All oils are thinner hot and thicker cold. A single weight oil is a more or less straight line from it's cold viscosity to hot viscosity. A multi-weight is like drawing a line from the left (cold) side of the "0" graph to the right (hot) side of the "40" graph. So a 0-40 oil is going to be thin (like 0 weight) when cold, and it's going to be thinner hot, but not as thin as 0 (which would be like water hot). It's going to have the viscosity of hot 40 (which is thinner than cold 0). I would go on some oil forums and discuss there. I doubt that 0W40 would hurt anything as 5-30 overlaps the range. The only real difference is really hot, heavy load you are going to have a little higher viscosity.

I'm doing a bad job of explaining that. Go to some oil forums.

Absent significant experimental research I would stick with recommended 5W30 API SN. I would go synthetic in any case.

TruBlu16GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darrin
Vehicle(s)
'16 Blue GT Base
Another Armchair engineer.

Run the recommended oil viscosity or run the risk of voiding your warranty. That's pretty much the long and short of it.

Sponsored

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
If you are really interested in oils and viscosity go to bobistheoilguy.com. You will learn a lot. Among other things, oil viscosity is not 100% consistent manufacture to manufacture and synthetics are very different from conventional oils. The forums there will have lots of info. I just checked the manual on Ford's website and it calls for 5w30 not 5w20. Motocraft 5-30 may not be exactly the same viscosity as Mobile 1 5-30 as each of these have a tolerance band.

The Mobile 1 0-40 European blend is an interesting choice. That is BMW LL01 certified, which is also true of the old Castrol 5-30 sythetic (black bottle). If you really want to get into experimenting with oils, it gets pretty complicated.
And expensive.

I had a boat once, inboard Chevy 350, the manual called for straight 30 in it. I had been racing a turbo engine on 20W50 synthetic, which I felt could stand anything that just about any engine could throw at it. So I decided since I got cases of that synthetic 20W-50 free I'd put it in the boat engine. Two hours later, I hear a good solid low end knock. Two thousand dollars later (this was 1992) I got a new engine. Well, they saved 7 rods, the crank (needed some welding) and the block and heads. Everything else was junk from bearing material going all through the engine.

I pretty much follow manufacturers recommendations since and have had no other issues, race or street or boat engines.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
I think at these elevated rpm, a very thin oil will provide plenty of support (i.e., the 5w20 Ford recommends)
I wouldn't trust a 5w20 oil at 260* that are often seen on the track. At that point, it's not a 20 weight anymore as the rating is taken at 212*. You want a thicker oil that will maintain at least 20 if not 30 weight properties at such elevated temperatures, which is where the thicker oil comes in.

I am running a quality 0w40 oil on the track.

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
The 5w-20 oil has a lot to do with the CAFE standards the OEM's have to meet. Was the engine designed to run that oil, doubtful. Will it run it, sure. The most likely scenario was it is designed to run 5w-30, but the 5w-20 gives a very small increase in MPG, which is a huge savings for manufacturers. It's not just Ford that does this either, everyone does. Good example is the Subaru WRX. In the US it calls for 5w-20, same exact engine in Japan calls for 5w-40.

Will either make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not unless your a track junkie. Ford only cares that the motor will last 5yrs 60k miles which the engineers said it would on 5w-20 under normal conditions. If you call Ford Performance and ask about track duty they will tell you 5w-40.

These are good engines, well designed and built. Difference running 5w-20 vs 5w-40 is probably negligible under normal conditions.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
The 5w-20 oil has a lot to do with the CAFE standards the OEM's have to meet. Was the engine designed to run that oil, doubtful.
Coyotes have run 5W-20 since their introduction. It what they were designed around.

OP
OP

ansibe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Will either make a huge difference in the grand scheme of things, probably not unless your a track junkie. These are good engines, well designed and built. Difference running 5w-20 vs 5w-40 is probably negligible under normal conditions.
I'm not a track 'junkie', just an addict!

I mentioned earlier that I'm not a proponent of high viscosity oils for track use. I run my BRZ on 0w20 at the track, and that engine is tight as a drum. The opposite side of that coin is the e9x BMW M3 engine, which calls for 5w60, and has issues spinning bearings.

Someone called me an 'armchair engineer', which I happily accept - I'm a mechanical engineer who enjoys the occasional sit in my armchair! This is also the best forum I visit, with incredibly knowledgeable and experienced posters. I've learned a lot from you guys.

Please forgive me for this: A plain bearing develops support (hydraulic pressure) by rotation (rpm) and oil viscosity. I can't remember the equation, but basically the faster the engine spins the more support your bearings provide. Same for viscosity, the higher weight of oil, the more support (at the same rpm). The bearing 'gap' is also important (less gap, more support), but we can't change that so I don't consider it. So much support (bearing oil pressure) is developed at high rpm that viscosity is almost irrelevant.

For the track, I believe light oils are better. Opposite of what most people believe. I could be wrong, it's happened before!

For the street, I believe thicker oils are better. But don't beat on your engine until it's warm!

Maybe '40' hot is too thick for the track. I may take Nuke's advice and look into 5w30.
Sponsored