Sponsored

Extra outputs

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Does the factory ECM have an extra output? Meaning, is there an extra spot on the ECM to plug something in and have a tuner control a signal to that output based on variable A?

Reason I ask is because I'm wondering what it would take to make a variable control butterfly valve on the exhaust based on RPM. It's cool that you can use cutouts with a button (open/close) but I'm wondering if there is an opportunity to use something to automatically keep the valve closed at lower RPM, throttled at midrange, and wide open at high RPM.

My hunch is it will take splicing and some creative work but it doesn't hurt to ask the question.
Sponsored

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Would be much easier to use an rpm window switch.

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
Would be much easier to use an rpm window switch.
Easier, yes. But that is still binary. Looking for something analog and part of the existing system with minor mods. Likely the answer is a definitive "no" which means splicing and maybe a black box of some sort. Just wanting to see first though, folks are pretty darn creative on these forums.

Jn2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Does the factory ECM have an extra output? Meaning, is there an extra spot on the ECM to plug something in and have a tuner control a signal to that output based on variable A?

Reason I ask is because I'm wondering what it would take to make a variable control butterfly valve on the exhaust based on RPM. It's cool that you can use cutouts with a button (open/close) but I'm wondering if there is an opportunity to use something to automatically keep the valve closed at lower RPM, throttled at midrange, and wide open at high RPM.

My hunch is it will take splicing and some creative work but it doesn't hurt to ask the question.
What you need is something like this, it's vacuum actuated. You can adjust the rods length to have it slightly open or a better way to use t hem would be to cut the bottom or top off of the valve so it only blocks about 50% of the exhausts path, then when you hit 0 vacuum the flapper will open all the way and get louder and flow more. the 3" size should make up for the .25" think flapper stem in the middle too so once 100% you should flow as much as the stock 2.75" pipe anyway
Screen Shot 2017-03-03 at 2.36.34 PM.png

OP
OP
Performance nut

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
What you need is something like this, it's vacuum actuated. You can adjust the rods length to have it slightly open or a better way to use t hem would be to cut the bottom or top off of the valve so it only blocks about 50% of the exhausts path, then when you hit 0 vacuum the flapper will open all the way and get louder and flow more. the 3" size should make up for the .25" think flapper stem in the middle too so once 100% you should flow as much as the stock 2.75" pipe anyway
Yep, familiar with those and they are awesome... except when they create a vacuum leak and then they aren't so cool.

Like where your mind went though, thanks for the input.

Sponsored

ninjawasaki

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Random thought...may not even work hah, but might want to look into using parts of an EXUP system off a motorcycle. Most people will ditch em when putting a full system on. Yamaha has been using them forever.

Sounds like it accomplishes what you are looking for...though for an entirely different RPM and throttle range haha. Who knows, maybe the older servo motors would be easier to work with.

http://www.yamahapart.com/page/exhaustultimatepowervalveexup

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
It seems like you want something that works like a tachometer. This maintains a certain angle at certain RPM signal.

I'd imagine though, a "better" solution would be more based on load (throttle as well as RPM), which vacuum does automatically, but I have a similar distrust of vacuum.

You might need to build (or have built) an electronic gadget to take an RPM signal and control a stepper. Perhaps you could frankenstein something from an electronic tacho, though I'm not sure of exactly how they work.
Sponsored