2018 5.0L = Dual Injectors: Direct + Port = Confirmed

simonp83

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Simon
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT S550
My wife's JGC has start stop and we turn it off the second we start the car up. It becomes habit just like turning off traction control lol. It definitely has a heavy duty starter and battery and I think something is still circulating oil while the engine is off so it all doesn't just drain into the pan. Honestly it's annoying especially when you forget to turn it off and you're at an intersection and you only have a little gap to go and "oops my engine is off" so you miss your chance to go.
The whole idea behind stop/start is that when you're at a junction and the engine automatically stops, as soon as you stick the car back into gear, the car starts again? Never had a car that uses it but I never put the car into neutral when I'm at lights so foot is always on the clutch when I'm stopped.
Sponsored

MustangJoe84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 GT, 1998 GT Sport, 2003 Mach1, 2015 GT
Unfortunately the word is that the auto start/stop will be incorporated into all Fords and even Lincolns possibly by 2018. They need the credits from the government.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
The whole idea behind stop/start is that when you're at a junction and the engine automatically stops, as soon as you stick the car back into gear, the car starts again? Never had a car that uses it but I never put the car into neutral when I'm at lights so foot is always on the clutch when I'm stopped.
Probably need to stop doing that if you want the throwout bearing to last.

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Yea, auto start/stop is incredibly annoying and doesn't really have that much of an impact on fuel economy for most people. That said, it makes sense why new cars would have it, but I wish it would be more common to be able to permanently disable it.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
[MENTION=9236]simonp83[/MENTION] I'd say at a red light or 4 way intersection with a stop it works best but if you're trying to get into a busy intersection where the cross traffic doesn't have a stop that little delay of the motor restarting is enough where you miss your opportunity to go. I've been next to cars with start stop technology and in heavy traffic their car will turn on and off every time we just creep forward a few feet. I don't care what the engineers say that just sounds bad for the engine and transmission.
The Mazda my buddy has uses he brake pedal for if the engine shuts off or not.
Like you press the brake pedal deep enough when stopped, it would cut the engine but if you just barely pressing it when stopped, it won't. There is also an indicator on the dash that tells you when stop/start is available.
Also start/stop is only working when engine is fully warmed up so engine wear would be minimal when warm.
Transmission especially automatic don't care about starting engine in gear.

Sponsored

MRose

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Auto start/stop is not that bad unless you're one of those people who is constantly creeping forward at red lights for no reason.

moubayed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2015
Just imagine the following: you are at a red light, enjoying that awesome v8 rumble while the engine idles, suddenly - nothing, no sound, just a dead engine, and you could just as well sit in a prius.
Might be beneficial for some, but not for me, i love that idle sound the mustang makes and while i love to drive, i just as well enjoy standing at a red light:)

v8hgt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
Race Red GT PP Coupe
Vehicle Showcase
It brings back memories of my 2012 BMW 5 series. It had stop start and an auto gearbox. It worked just fine until one day the lights went green, I lifted off the brake peddle and nothing. nada... horns behind, red light etc.
After 3 trips to the dealer they eventually diagnosed the "intelligent battery sensor" had died, which in turn killed the highly expensive battery. From that day on, I disabled it every time i started the car. A right royal pain the arse. From that day on, I vowed never to buy a car with it on that couldn't be over ridden permenantly.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
It brings back memories of my 2012 BMW 5 series. It had stop start and an auto gearbox. It worked just fine until one day the lights went green, I lifted off the brake peddle and nothing. nada... horns behind, red light etc.
After 3 trips to the dealer they eventually diagnosed the "intelligent battery sensor" had died, which in turn killed the highly expensive battery. From that day on, I disabled it every time i started the car. A right royal pain the arse. From that day on, I vowed never to buy a car with it on that couldn't be over ridden permenantly.
Would be a deal breaker for me too. I'd mainly want an 18 for the Magneride, but auto start stop could shift me right back to a 17..................

Hopefully, when Magneride becomes more mainstream, someone will offer a kit to integrate it into earlier models.

Sponsored

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
NOS on 2018 Ford Mustang

Just imagine a turbo 2018 5.0L = Dual Injectors: Direct + Port, could that be the big surprise? Ford said the only thing they kept from the original 5.0 coyote engine was the crank. That combo can be tuned to beat Camaro, Vette or Lexus and still leave something on the table for any tuner out there to exploit. :cheers:
:ford:

Last edited:

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Unfortunately the word is that the auto start/stop will be incorporated into all Fords and even Lincolns possibly by 2018. They need the credits from the government.
That means no more Fords for me...:paddle:

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
You should be able to disable it by the press of a button every time you start it. Bmws have this feature. Unfortunately i doubt they would allow you with a press of a button to permanently turn it off. Maybe in tuning. I know tpms sensors in dodges can be turned off by making them all zeros. Id hope something similar would eventually be available for turning the start/stop off.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
Is this fact?? Do you have a link or confirmation??
I would ABSOLUTELY HATE this on a Mustang.

Just imagine the following: you are at a red light, enjoying that awesome v8 rumble while the engine idles, suddenly - nothing, no sound, just a dead engine, and you could just as well sit in a prius.
Might be beneficial for some, but not for me, i love that idle sound the mustang makes and while i love to drive, i just as well enjoy standing at a red light:)
^^Amen brother!!!! :thumbsup:
:cheers:
Sponsored