Sponsored

Spacers, lugnuts, torque spec

ManBearPig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have a set of 25mm coyote brand spacers at all 4 corners with my OEM PP wheels. I used the supplied small acorn nuts to secure the spacer to the hub, and the OEM lugs to hold the wheel to the spacer, all torqued to 130 ft/lbs.

I have not had any problems with this, but I'm wanting to swap to a set of 20mm for the rear and leave the front as-is (I am aware I will have to trim the OE studs slightly for this). In my research I have found conflicting info on what lugnuts should be used, what brand spacers are good and which are junk, and how much they should be torqued. One of my biggest fears with these spacers is twisting a stud out of the spacer, leaving the wheel stuck on the car and being unable to remove anything. I want to take all precautions I can to avoid that, so thought I'd try to get a feel of what I should be doing.

-Are the coyote spacers seen as an ok brand? I've not had any problems but I don’t know if any particular spacers are more prone to problems than others.
-What lugnuts should be used to secure the spacer to the hub, and what should they be torqued at? Does the OE 150 spec apply here since it is the factory studs being used?
-What should the wheels be torqued at? ? Does the OE 150 spec apply here since it is the factory lugnuts being used?

Thanks
Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Adapter to Hub: 150
Wheel to Adapter: 89 (listed torque spec for those studs)

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Backwards. I have to say this so often.

The torque is for the stud stretch, not the lug. You want to elastically stretch the stud enough to achieve the right clamp load. The torque spec of 89 for wheel to adapter sounds right, as the aluminum will also deflect some, contributing to the clamp load. As such, those need a lower torque value. The adapter to hub should have the factory torque value.

If they are including fasteners that cannot take 150 ft-lbs to the hub, run far away from those.

Sponsored

Gurjit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium performance pack
I have had them for 2 years
torqued the spacer to car = 120 ft/lbs
wheel to space = 150 ft/lbs
no issues yet

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Coyote Premium Wheel Accessories
Read paragraph 4. Says to tighten the adapter to hub to factory specifications. Paragraph 5 says to tighten the wheel to the adapter to the torque spec in their provided chart.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I must be reading it wrong. Paragraph 4 to me was the factory adaptor specifications. Paragraph 5 would have you put the provided adaptor nuts on the wheels, haven't seen anyone do that.
The provided nuts are supposed to go on the factory studs to hold the adapter to the hub. That's why they're so short. Then you use your lug nuts on the adapter studs to hold the wheel on.

There is no factory adapter. Section 4 is securing the adapter to the hub. Section 5 the wheel to the adapter.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Didn't know YouTube views > engineers. The instructions clearly say what the respective torque values should be. Those instructions are inline with proper joint design. I don't mean to be rude, but I don't find it wise to be cavalier with what holds your wheels on. Only trying to help people.

Most people having trouble removing didn't put antiseize on the hub face, and they galvanically corrode. The included nuts with adapter have the same 60 deg seat as the factory lug nuts.

Sponsored

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
Since CJPP's video has 52K+ views I reckon I'll stick with his torque specs.
What does number of views have in relation to correctness of the message?

If I make a video on Youtube that says you should torque your wheels to 1000ftlbs and it gets 53k views then does that all of a sudden make it correct?

I'll trust whatever Ford and/or the manufacturer of the spacers says to do, not what some Youtuber comes up with based on their quick mafs.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
What brand of spacers is in that picture?
Sponsored