OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Got the rear from Shelby on evilbay for $350 but it cost $150 for shipping so $500 and $300 for the install. The GT wheels and tires cost me $585. Both takeoffs from new cars at Shelby.
I got lucky. Got a Ford Motorsports Limited Slip 3.55 complete differential from a CL Ad (turns out he was a member here) that only had 5K miles on it. Paid $450. I'll do the install myself. The IRS in these things makes it too easy. Pull the rear wheels, remove and hang the calipers, remove each axle half shaft, vent tube, unbolt and drop.
Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So after taking a friend for a ride in it the other night - he was bugging me when I was going to get to the local 1/4 mile track to get some baseline runs before I start changing anything. Turns out Saturday Test and Tune is back on at my local track 11/17 and 11/25. And since I already have a set of Nitto drag radials mounted on Acura 17x8 wheels - which just so happen to bolt right up to the Mustang and fit well - I've decided to go for it.

@ 800 miles on the car right now.

Just ordered (2) Motorcraft TPMS sensors to get installed on the drag radial / Acura wheel and a TPMS reset tool. Should be here in the next few days.

The Boomba shifter is supposed to be here Wednesday, so I'll pull the car in the garage and do that install when it gets here.

If everything comes together, I should be posting some 1/4 mile slips in the next couple of weeks.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Boomba racing shifter installed tonight. Much better than stock. I need to get used to it. Only had the chance to really wind it up and bang through the gears once - that 2-3 shift will take getting used to. I already added the Energy suspension bushing for the rear tranny mount, I may end up with the Boomba Racing mount.

If that doesn't do what I want, I'll end up biting the bullet and going with a complete new shifter.

Tires came in (1 day shipping from Tire Rack to VA for the win) and will get mounted on the 18" Base GT wheel tomorrow morning. I'm going to Plastidip two of the wheels black to see how I like the look. If I like it, I might end up running Plastidip until Spring. Don't really have access to a booth anymore to spray 'em in BC/CC - will do that once the weather warms up.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Well after a ton of searching the forum -ordered the Steeda transmission mount insert last night. Will likely order the BG fluid change as well for the 6 speed. If that doesn't get it where I want it - I'll start wading into the MGW vs Barton debate.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Got the Nitto Drag Radials I already had, mounted on 2 of my 17" stock wheels. Ready for Test and Tune next Saturday.
Mustang wheels 1.JPG

Sponsored

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
So after having the Boomba shifter installed for a few days, I was experimenting with different shift knobs. I've used the same Hurst metal T-handle on every one of my daily drivers / project cars for probably close to 20 years. I'm used to shifting with one, especially at the track, and it's a personal choice.

But after the shifter install, it just didn't feel 'right' to me. So I used the factory shift knob for a bit, then used a heavy weight round knob (amazon cheapie) that I had laying around the garage that happened to be the right thread to work with the Mustang.

After installing the Energy suspension bushing, changing to RP Syncromesh fluid (did that last weekend), installing the Steeda clutch spring and then finally the Boomba shifter - figured that would cure any high rpm lockouts.

Wrong. :doh:

Only happens on high rpm shifts and only on the 2-3 shift. I decided it might be ME - and not the transmission - so I tried changing how I shift the car. I can tell you from experience - after daily driving and racing 3 speeds, 4 speeds, 5 speed and other 6 speeds - that each transmission has its own quirks.

The MT82 is no exception.

Apparently it "likes" to have some upward pressure on the shifter for better shifts - at high RPM and fast shifts - and the 2-3 shift in particular likes to be 'slapped' into gear. Sort of letting the shifter guide itself into the gate / gear.

Tried this technique with all 3 shifter knobs and ended up with the old T-handle back on.

The Steeda transmission insert bushing came in the mail yesterday so I'll be adding that Thursday or Friday night as well. And hopefully Test and Tune on Saturday - it's calling for rain early in the AM.

Also - I finally broke down and bought the SCT X4 and the 3 MPT tunes. It should be here in the next couple of days. HOPEFULLY I can have the 91 Octane tune (93 is too much of a pain to find around here on a consistent basis) flashed AFTER getting some baseline 1/4 mile runs with the stock tune and drag radials.

I really wanted the HPTuners software - and it's only $499 compared to $449 for SCT X4 and 3 tunes - but work is picking up to where I just won't have the spare time to play with the drive by wire and other settings on this car. I still plan on tackling this, but it will likely be Spring.

So right now - the plan is to get some baseline stock (aFe drop in filter and 3" MBRP Catback only "mods") runs at the track. Then try it with the 91 Octane MPT tune. Then in the week preceding the last Test and Tune of the season, get the 3.55 pumpkin swapped in and make a stock tune run with the gears and a 91 Octane tune with the gears.

We shall see if I can pull it off and if the weather cooperates.

Next up for the car is ordering the Performance Pack front and rear swaybars. The front bar comes with the bushings / brackets have to order new bushings for the rear (brackets are the same PT# according to Ford). I had hoped to score a used set, but I can get all new stuff (OEM) shipped to my door for less than a used front bar on Ebay + shipping. @ $135 for all of it shipped.

I'm also hoping to score a 4 piston GT brake setup for my car as well.

Did get a chance to detail it a bit after adding the 18" base GT wheels I scored cheap - along with new tires.
new wheels.jpg

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda jacking rails came in. Will install those tonight and use them to install the Steeda transmission insert.

Also just ordered all the stuff do upgrade to the 4 piston GT brakes. Calipers, new hoses, new rotors, new pads, and caliper rebuild kits (want to take the calipers apart and base coat / clear coat them).

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
I'd been eyeing the "Speed Daddy" BBK knock off stainless shorty headers. Their website was out of stock. Ebay showed he had a few left, recently sold a bunch of the performance parts I had on my last car - so why not. For $168 I can't complain. I'm going to order black exhaust wrap, metal ties and black silicone spray. Ceramic coating them defeats the purpose of getting them cheap.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Steeda jacking rails came in. Will install those tonight and use them to install the Steeda transmission insert.

Also just ordered all the stuff do upgrade to the 4 piston GT brakes. Calipers, new hoses, new rotors, new pads, and caliper rebuild kits (want to take the calipers apart and base coat / clear coat them).
The Steeda Jacking Rails are great, for those waiting, keep your eyes out during our Black Friday Sale :)

TJ

Sponsored
OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
The Steeda Jacking Rails are great, for those waiting, keep your eyes out during our Black Friday Sale :)

TJ
Ironic you are in here. Just got through installing the Steed jacking rails and the Steeda trans mount bushing. The jacking rails aren't perfectly level (yes I made sure seam sealer wasn't interfering) regardless they worked great.

Not sure if I got the trans insert bushing in the trans oem mount / bushing far enough. Best I could do with the supplied grease, + c clamp with a piece of wood to even the pressure.

Regardless - no NVH increase that I could tell. But I can tell you I doubt I'll be looking to do anything more with the shifter. It's tight and shifts GREAT now with this, the Boomb shifter and the energy suspension bushing.
steed insert1.jpeg

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
And quick shipping by MPT - tuner came in, filled out the custom tune form and waiting now.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Ironic you are in here. Just got through installing the Steed jacking rails and the Steeda trans mount bushing. The jacking rails aren't perfectly level (yes I made sure seam sealer wasn't interfering) regardless they worked great.

Not sure if I got the trans insert bushing in the trans oem mount / bushing far enough. Best I could do with the supplied grease, + c clamp with a piece of wood to even the pressure.

Regardless - no NVH increase that I could tell. But I can tell you I doubt I'll be looking to do anything more with the shifter. It's tight and shifts GREAT now with this, the Boomb shifter and the energy suspension bushing.
Hmm - usually the sealant is the culprit, not sure why they wouldn't sit flush :shrug: - you have some photos you can share?

The bushing looks far enough in - looks like you did enough to get it there, lol!

Thank you for the feedback.

TJ

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
Hmm - usually the sealant is the culprit, not sure why they wouldn't sit flush :shrug: - you have some photos you can share?

The bushing looks far enough in - looks like you did enough to get it there, lol!

Thank you for the feedback.

TJ
I'll try to remember to take some pics of the jacking rails. Thanks.

OP
OP

ctandc72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT 6 speed Base
Vehicle Showcase
No need for pics. Ran across this video:

My rails look exactly like his - the bottom portion tilted just a bit. Guess it's normal.
Sponsored