Sponsored

Mantic 9000 Cerametallic shudder

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
Hey guys, I just got a new Mantic clutch, they were out of the organic and upgraded me to the cerametallic clutch. This thing is the worst drive I have ever felt. The shudder in 1st is unbearable.

Does anyone know how to fix this or if it is just my life for the next 100k?
Sponsored

GTBOB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT, Royal Crimson, 10 speed, Active Exhaust
Vehicle Showcase
That is a characteristic of a ceramic disk'd clutch. Even with a sprung center hub, they will chatter a bit until you get some more miles on it. Also, you cannot engage these like an OEM clutch. You will need to be quicker on your clutch pedal while increasing your engine rpm vs stock rpm during take-offs.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
It is very bullshit they call this a "street" clutch. This thing has 0 manners.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
http://www.manticclutch.com/products/9000-series.html
Sprung Street Cerametallic: This is a sprung centre cushioned button type disc that offers a level of performance above organic discs, while offering little compromise in driving style and vehicle usage. Rated up to 1010 ft lbs torque.

1010 lb ft is probably too much for the MT82.

Heavy duty organic clutch sounds better :

http://www.phoenixfriction.com/t-clutch-materials-explained.aspx
Clutch Friction Materials Explained - Organic, Kevlar, Ceramic, etc.

Heavy-duty organic clutch facings are similar to normal organic clutches in terms of engagement smoothness, but with more temperature resistance and durability.

Heavy-duty organic clutch facings feature more metallic content, which boosts heat resistance and reduces fade.

This gives these clutches resistance to temperatures as high as 700°F, at least for short periods, as well as increased burst strength.

OP
OP

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
I ordered the Organic but they were out so they upgraded me to the Ceramic. I was worried about it but read that and their claim of keeping drive ability and figured ehh... free 400 dollars. Guess I made the wrong call.

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
did you order directly from Mantic ? I did see that their website shows Out of Stock. Some of the other distributors on here may have had the Mantic organic clutch.

OP
OP

Legionofone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Base
What I have started to do is clutch out till it starts to move then in a bit then all the way out quickly. It has helped a bit.

TooSoonJunior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP M6
Def feel your pain....

Have a few hundred miles on mine, and about 8 track passes.

All the rave was stock driveability. Not the case, if you ride the hell out of in first at half pedal, it will engage almost near stock. If you get too close to the final engagement point and hold it there at all, itll shudder like crazy. Not saying this is any worse than any other ceramic clutch I have driven, but for near $2 grand, I am a bit disappointed. It has the manners same as my $800 ACT 6 puck from my neon, lol.

Also I have a good amount of chatter (sounds like marbles in a coffee can) at moderate loads under 1500 rpms. Best example of the scenario is coming to about 5mph in 2nd and not going back to first, accelerate from 5mph in 2nd and listen close near the trans tunnel, you will hear it. Again all normal stuff for a twin disc, just figured they would have addressed it in their design; some companies use tethers or posts to keep both discs and flywheels moving together.

Draklia

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
What I have started to do is clutch out till it starts to move then in a bit then all the way out quickly. It has helped a bit.
Def feel your pain....

Have a few hundred miles on mine, and about 8 track passes.

All the rave was stock driveability. Not the case, if you ride the hell out of in first at half pedal, it will engage almost near stock. If you get too close to the final engagement point and hold it there at all, itll shudder like crazy. Not saying this is any worse than any other ceramic clutch I have driven, but for near $2 grand, I am a bit disappointed. It has the manners same as my $800 ACT 6 puck from my neon, lol.

Also I have a good amount of chatter (sounds like marbles in a coffee can) at moderate loads under 1500 rpms. Best example of the scenario is coming to about 5mph in 2nd and not going back to first, accelerate from 5mph in 2nd and listen close near the trans tunnel, you will hear it. Again all normal stuff for a twin disc, just figured they would have addressed it in their design; some companies use tethers or posts to keep both discs and flywheels moving together.
Curious for an update? With break in time have they gotten any better?

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Feeling the mantic shudder here as well.
Got about 350 miles so far on the break-in, no hard pulls as of yet.
First gear is a little tricky for sure, the engagement point on this clutch/to bearing combo is different than stock.
You definitely have to push it a bit closer to the floor. A little awkward to get used to, but I just moved my seat a little closer and it sort of remedied it.
First gear is a bit difficult at times, but from what i've read about this clutch the shudder will go away with miles on the clutch.
It doesn't happen everytime, but when you have the engagement at a certain point in low rpm/speed she'll shudder on ya.
I'll try to get back in here to post once I get more miles on this thing.

EDIT:
Only at about 550 miles now and I can't get the thing to shudder anymore.
Definitely goes away with more miles.
Sponsored

Last edited: