Sponsored

Whipple & Converter Guys

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT - Magnetic Automatic
Any whipple guys out there running an aftermarket converter? Would love to get some feedback on stall, streetability, and performance increase before and after install.

I ran a 4000 stall in my Procharged Mach 1 back in the day and had it go into lock up right away at part throttle to tame the looseness. Drivability was not bad and almost unnoticeable for around town driving. My centrifical blower really needed the extra stall to get it moving. I'm not totally sold on a converter for a PD blower car in the 750-800RWHP range.

Any feedback good or bad is welcome.

Thanks
Sponsored

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Best thing I ever did for my Whipple car. Driving with the stock converter was boring as shit. I was incredibly disappointed.

With a Circle D 2b, it's a beast! I love it, would do it all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Without a heavy foot, drives like stock.

OP
OP
cmylxgo

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Best thing I ever did for my Whipple car. Driving with the stock converter was boring as shit. I was incredibly disappointed.

With a Circle D 2b, it's a beast! I love it, would do it all day, every day and twice on Sunday.

Without a heavy foot, drives like stock.
Looks like we have similar power levels based on your sig. What does that converter stall at in your car? Have you thought about or used the JMS LauchMAX transbrake?

-CMY

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Looks like we have similar power levels based on your sig. What does that converter stall at in your car? Have you thought about or used the JMS LauchMAX transbrake?

-CMY
I haven't played with it extensively. Talking to Brian at Circle D ended up with something around 3200 RPM advertised stall. I'm still trying to figure out launch techniques. My car just spins through 1 & 2. I had thought I'd go with something more aggressive like 3800, but with the PD cars, it's a no go.

I've foot-braked it up to 2000 just fine.

Never thought about a TB. I probably will when I go turbo.

OP
OP
cmylxgo

cmylxgo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bringing this post back from the dead. I had planned on restalling my stock converter but when it was cut open it was busted up...which is the reason the trans is out of the car.

I'm now going the Circle D route but I'm getting some conflicting information. I talked to Circle D and they told me I should run a 258mm 2C. They said its about 1000rpm over stock...not sure what that means since I don't know where the stock unit actually stalls. Looking at the their site the lowest RPM for a 258mm is 3000-3200. I've read that on the PD cars that the advertised stall is typically 500rpm higher (I don't believe everything I read on the internet). Not sure I want to have a 3700rpm stall in my daily.

The shop I have doing the work suggests getting the 265mm 2500-2700rpm unit, which should stall around 3000-3200rpm on my PD car. The shop has also confirmed that the stall is typically higher than Circle D advertises when installed on a PD car.

I was making 800rwhp but while the trans is out I'm adding long tubes and smaller blower pulley. I'm estimating about 850rwhp when all is said and done.

I would like to know what everyone is running for converter size and what its stalling at in your cars. The 265mm has more clutch surface area for lock up and I would think will hold more power over the 258mm...but I'm just speculating here since I don't know sh!t about converters.

I think 3000-3200 rpm is the sweet spot for the PD cars, what do you think?

-Thanks

Sponsored

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Bringing this post back from the dead. I had planned on restalling my stock converter but when it was cut open it was busted up...which is the reason the trans is out of the car.

I'm now going the Circle D route but I'm getting some conflicting information. I talked to Circle D and they told me I should run a 258mm 2C. They said its about 1000rpm over stock...not sure what that means since I don't know where the stock unit actually stalls. Looking at the their site the lowest RPM for a 258mm is 3000-3200. I've read that on the PD cars that the advertised stall is typically 500rpm higher (I don't believe everything I read on the internet). Not sure I want to have a 3700rpm stall in my daily.

The shop I have doing the work suggests getting the 265mm 2500-2700rpm unit, which should stall around 3000-3200rpm on my PD car. The shop has also confirmed that the stall is typically higher than Circle D advertises when installed on a PD car.

I was making 800rwhp but while the trans is out I'm adding long tubes and smaller blower pulley. I'm estimating about 850rwhp when all is said and done.

I would like to know what everyone is running for converter size and what its stalling at in your cars. The 265mm has more clutch surface area for lock up and I would think will hold more power over the 258mm...but I'm just speculating here since I don't know sh!t about converters.

I think 3000-3200 rpm is the sweet spot for the PD cars, what do you think?

-Thanks

Did you ever get an answer to this? I am curious as well. I think the 258mm will work better for your car but at 800RWHP or higher the 265 might be an option. I am trying to figure out which one my buddy should go with on his whipple car. I have a 245 3C in my paxton car and I feel it is too loose but it runs great at the track.

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I went back and looked at my invoice and I have a 258mm 2c, not a 2b. I asked about the 265 vs the 258 and was told it was really meant for the BIG HP cars.

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]I'm actually tempted to put the stock converter back in the car. While I absolutely love it, first gear is f'n useless, quite possibly 2nd as well.

My last pass went 145.5 MPH, but did it with a 1.8 60' shaking the every living piss out of the tires.

I'm actually more tempted to ditch the Whipple for a centri or a turbo.
[/FONT]

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
I went back and looked at my invoice and I have a 258mm 2c, not a 2b. I asked about the 265 vs the 258 and was told it was really meant for the BIG HP cars.

[FONT=Tahoma, Arial, sans-serif]I'm actually tempted to put the stock converter back in the car. While I absolutely love it, first gear is f'n useless, quite possibly 2nd as well.

My last pass went 145.5 MPH, but did it with a 1.8 60' shaking the every living piss out of the tires.

[/FONT]
What size and brand tires did you have?

esacteksab

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
What size and brand tires did you have?

Right now they're 305/45/17 ET Street R. I had 295/45/17 MT ET Streets as well. Tire and/or tire pressure has no impact. No matter what, I shake the tires.

I've got a 15" wheel in the garage that I'm gonna try and make fit. Then it'll get a 275/60/15.

Sponsored

RockStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Whippled

[/FONT]
I haven't had any tire shake issues with my car since putting the blower on. I have the same tire setup. Now I did put cradle lockouts and Vert links on right away and ran the car with no other suspension tons of times with no shaking.

On another note, I have the 258mm 2C at aroudn 3200 stall and wish I would have went for much more. I feel like it could stand to hit a hell of a lot harder at the track. Sure on the street 1-2 are always going to be FKN useless at these power levels. ESPECIALLY after a converter upgrade.

sculptor310

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang GT

[/FONT]

If you decide to sell the converter lmk. I'm in Denver.
Sponsored