Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

S550Boss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350; 2018 Focus RS
The Falcon adopts the Evos family styling, and otherwise not much else changes.
I'm a fan of the Falcon, but this last minute change is exactly that. The infrastructure is already shutting down and it's too late to save it. And the bottom line is that sales tanked years ago - this type of car is just not selling in anywhere near sufficient quantities in that country.
To go any further, there would have to be a common platform underneath, a change in the market to again accept this size vehicle, and - if a replacement were to be built in Australia - significant labor union concessions to achieve competitive labor rates. Which is just not going to happen there.
Looks like Wallace Hartley driving?

L8APEX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT, '20 Raptor
I wonder if it will be based on Ford's D3 platform

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
It's the existing E8 RWD platform and it's the last Falcon.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
This should have been Fords flagship sedan in the US.

Sponsored

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 2015 falcon and current Fusion share the same platform?
It would be nice if the Fusion was a u.s. version of the Falcon. I think the current Falcon has a supercharged 5.0

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
It would be nice if the Fusion was a u.s. version of the Falcon. I think the current Falcon has a supercharged 5.0
I still want a Mustang-powered V8 manual fusion and if it's the same chassis as the Falcon (and IIRC, the same/similar rear suspension to the 2015 Mustang), then it's possible.

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I still want a Mustang-powered V8 manual fusion and if it's the same chassis as the Falcon (and IIRC, the same/similar rear suspension to the 2015 Mustang), then it's possible.
They're not the same. Totally different cars. As far as I'm aware the Falcon doesn't share it's platform with anything except maybe the Ute which is only sold down there also.

Stuntman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
many
They're not the same. Totally different cars. As far as I'm aware the Falcon doesn't share it's platform with anything except maybe the Ute which is only sold down there also.
I guess it was the 2014 Fusion and Mondeo have a similar rear integral link suspension as the 2015 Mustang:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php/2015-mustang-irs-843.html

http://www.falconforums.com.au/show...egral-Link-Suspension-under-Fusion-and-Mondeo

I still hope the platform could support a RWD configuration (not just a front-biased AWD system) and a manual. I doubt it'll happen but one can hope...

Edit - I just looked under a 2014 Fusion and while the subframe and rear suspension has all of the provisions for a differential and drive shafts for the rear, and enough room for a saddle-tank and driveshaft, the firewall and bulkhead is too low in a FWD configuration to fit the bell housing for a decent sized V8-capable transmission.

Sponsored

MPH

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I think the Falcon was the basically the closest thing Australia has to a Mustang. If I lived down under I would probably have one. Maybe if they had brought it here it would have flopped here like the Pontiac GTO, and I'm not sure the numbers on the G8 before pontiac was axed, but a U.S. Falcon sure as hell would have gotten my attention if I were buying a sedan.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]wh4-FQVd4ws[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]yznmueg5LuU[/MEDIA]"]

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought the 2015 falcon and current Fusion share the same platform?
No they're not related in any way. Falcon's E8 platform is unique to anything else - only used for the utility as MPH pointed out, and the Australian-only Territory SUV is also based off it. They'll all be discontinued at the end of 2016.

If you want a RWD saloon then you need to go outside of this brand. Ford think the Taurus does the job well enough but sales indicate that's not the case when you throw the Charger into the mix.

The only hope for a RWD sedan will be something based off the S550 (by the way, does S550's platform have a name?). Currently, or apparently, later this year Ford will decide on whether or not they'll go down that route. I think they need it; it's not fitting for this brand to be focusing mainly on bum-draggers when even the Koreans see the value of RWD performance/prestige saloons.

Wake up, Ford!

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
The only hope for a RWD sedan will be something based off the S550 (by the way, does S550's platform have a name?). Currently, or apparently, later this year Ford will decide on whether or not they'll go down that route. I think they need it; it's not fitting for this brand to be focusing mainly on bum-draggers when even the Koreans see the value of RWD performance/prestige saloons.

Wake up, Ford!
Deciding later this year? :frusty:

Ford should be developing this NOW. In fact, they should have started development a long time ago. When was GRWD (Global Rear Wheel Drive) touted? Just before the recession and near collapse of GM and Chrysler, if my memory serves. It would have been a brave decision (and I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing), but if they had pressed ahead with GRWD back then we'd already be reaping the benefit NOW, and Ford wouldn't be playing catchup with not only GM and Chrysler, but the Koreans too :(

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Deciding later this year? :frusty:

Ford should be developing this NOW. In fact, they should have started development a long time ago. When was GRWD (Global Rear Wheel Drive) touted? Just before the recession and near collapse of GM and Chrysler, if my memory serves. It would have been a brave decision (and I guess hindsight is a wonderful thing), but if they had pressed ahead with GRWD back then we'd already be reaping the benefit NOW, and Ford wouldn't be playing catchup with not only GM and Chrysler, but the Koreans too :(
Yeah and I'm not holding my breath either.

Grwd... In the One Ford philosophy a fwd passenger vehicle is more efficient and easier to produce, as well as foster an awd line up, than a rwd is. It's about streamlining but I fear you're right and it'll one day come back and bite them in backside.

However, using the One Ford philosophy, it also means S550 should in fact spawn other vehicles. We know Lincoln has it's coupe but a nice sedan and wagon shouldbe offered. These are niche vehicles and with Ford's slick powertrains and tech there's no reason why they can't succeed on the global stage.

Falc'man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Falcon
Basically, in their wisdom Ford deem the SHO would heavily overlap with a V8 rwd sedan. Every other manufacturer disagrees. Ford believes V8s no longer have a place because of their downsizing fetish, but all that tells me is they've walked away from the prestige market.

An V8 ecoboost E63/M5 competitor would do wonders for the brand.

Don't get me wrong, thw next SHO will be lethal and is going to demolish anything double it's price, the fact remains, though, there's still a gap that needs to be filled that Ford has walked away from.

They've also walked away from the supercar segment - these P1s, 918s and Laferraris should be kept honest.
Sponsored