Sponsored

XL3 friction modifier for rear diff - PP?

Sponsored

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Are you still using friction modifier with Amsoil severe gear?
Yes i did when I ran the stock rear with the Amsoil.
With the Wavetrac I am now running I am also using it (figured it couldn't hurt) with Lucus Oil Synthetic 75/120

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yes i did when I ran the stock rear with the Amsoil.
With the Wavetrac I am now running I am also using it (figured it couldn't hurt) with Lucus Oil Synthetic 75/120
Slightly off-topic, how do you like the Wavetrac? At some point in the future I'll be either getting a 3.73/torsen pumpkin or keeping my gears and getting a Wavetrac/Quaife.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
BG 75W140 fuid from OPMustang.com. I do not add friction modifier to my 3.73 Torsen with that fluid because it doesn't need it.

No fluid is going to get rid of the clanks/clunks born from the ridiculous slack in the MT-82 driveline. I do not have much groaning in slow speed, full lock turns with BG fluid - very rare. I did almost all the time with factory fill and I even added more friction modifier to the factory fill and that helped some, but it was still noisy in that situation. I have to make 5 full lock turns in my parking garage at home and would probably have pulled my hair out if I had to listen to that noise for the life of the car... it drove me nuts.

whatsup62

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP (Gone but not forgotten).
Slightly off-topic, how do you like the Wavetrac? At some point in the future I'll be either getting a 3.73/torsen pumpkin or keeping my gears and getting a Wavetrac/Quaife.
So far I love it...time will tell i guess. Putting some good power through it with sticky tires and has held up great. No more popping noises and just seems to be smoother. I also upgraded to FRPP half shafts at the same time so it might be a combo of the two. Built a entirely new rear with it and Beefcake shot me a good deal on it. Very happy so far.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
So far I love it...time will tell i guess. Putting some good power through it with sticky tires and has held up great. No more popping noises and just seems to be smoother. I also upgraded to FRPP half shafts at the same time so it might be a combo of the two. Built a entirely new rear with it and Beefcake shot me a good deal on it. Very happy so far.
Thanks. Great to know. Do you know if the torque bias ratio is less than the torsen?

Sponsored

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
FYI. Some/many synthetic gear oils, such as normal Redline include friction modifier and others, such as Ford's and Redline NS (no slip) do not. Many synthetic gear oils indicate on the label or in online documentation when they include friction modifiers. Others do NOT make that clear. For clutch type limited slips, such as the Ford Traction-Lok using something like Redline NS can reduce inside tire wheel spin after the oil and diff get hot. This can be noticeable when making 90 turns from a stop since the inside tire will chirp or otherwise make it obvious that the tire is slipping rather than the diff clutches.

I have no idea what running a Torsen without either separate or "included" friction modifier does to or for the Torsen.

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Doesn’t really do anything except a little less noise.
Sponsored