Sponsored

widest tire

rich67

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 ford mustang gt
this is probably some where on here, what is the widest tire I can put on the 19 by 8.5 GT rim? thanks in advance;
Sponsored

Youngmustang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Gt DIB
ideally 255-265 but you can do 275 MAX imo

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
this is probably some where on here, what is the widest tire I can put on the 19 by 8.5 GT rim? thanks in advance;
The widest tire that you can safely mount is going to be very different from the widest functional tire for an 8.5" wheel. Sidewall support is very important. To give you the best recommendation, we need some context in regards to how you plan to enjoy your Mustang? Are you cruising around town, drag racing light to light, going out for canyon runs or doing any track days?

If the cars ability to handle is important to you, and you enjoy feedback from your tires, you will not want anything wider than a 255 on an 8.5" wheel. Tire brand will also come into play, as not all tires are created equal in terms of width and sidewall construction (some are stiffer than others).

- Ryan

96gt4.6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium/A6, 2020 Explorer ST
Thank you for that Ryan. I would appreciate any help on a suggestion if you could?

I have the stock 8.5x18's on my '17 GT. I only do normal daily driving, and the occasional 1/4 mile runs. I currently have Nitto NT05's in the stock 255 width out back. I had been thinking about a 275 width to save from having to change wheels so that I could go bigger. A 275 most likely will still not be enough tire (Whipple 2.9/Auto Car), but not really looking for max effort grip wise either.

Cardude99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ecoboost
U got a Whipple? I would seriously consider wider wheels, 10 in min but preferably 11in. Then you can put a big ol 325 out back and have traction for days. Just my opinion

Apex Wheels

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Thank you for that Ryan. I would appreciate any help on a suggestion if you could?

I have the stock 8.5x18's on my '17 GT. I only do normal daily driving, and the occasional 1/4 mile runs. I currently have Nitto NT05's in the stock 255 width out back. I had been thinking about a 275 width to save from having to change wheels so that I could go bigger. A 275 most likely will still not be enough tire (Whipple 2.9/Auto Car), but not really looking for max effort grip wise either.
You don't really gain much by putting any wider of a tire on that wheel, so my recommendation would be to leave it. I would highly encourage a wider (and lighter) wheel setup. 18x9.5" front with a 255 or 275, and then 18x11" or 19x11" with a 305 tire. This would provide a big increase in traction, and when you have a lot of power, traction = fun.

It also kills me to see people do modifications to add power, but then they'll strap it down with boat anchor wheels. Rotational mass is a thing, and a good thing to reduce where possible. You will be amazed and asking yourself why you didn't make the switch sooner.

- Cory
Sponsored