Sponsored

DSS Axle C-Clips

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Getting ready to put in my DSS 2000hp axles on Friday. I was looking at the axles and noticed the C clips had a large gap between the ends and would hang off the notch in the axle a bit. Is this how they're designed or do I need to use some pliers to compress them more so they will actually go into the diff?
axle 01.jpg
axle 02.jpg
Sponsored

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I just sat them so that the gap in the ring was at the bottom and slid them in.
Another handy hint:
If you don't plan to reuse your stock axles ever again, you can use them like a slide hammer to get them out... (can potentially damage the CV apparently)
You'll work that one out.

OP
OP

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
I just sat them so that the gap in the ring was at the bottom and slid them in.
Another handy hint:
If you don't plan to reuse your stock axles ever again, you can use them like a slide hammer to get them out... (can potentially damage the CV apparently)
You'll work that one out.
I've actually got them pulled and all the suspension undone already. I swapped in a 3.31 diff while I was doing these so I pulled everything and put that in first. My axles came out like butter.

So I don't need to compress the ring at all? Just sit it at the bottom and pop em in?

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I've actually got them pulled and all the suspension undone already. I swapped in a 3.31 diff while I was doing these so I pulled everything and put that in first. My axles came out like butter.

So I don't need to compress the ring at all? Just sit it at the bottom and pop em in?
Yup. It's that easy. However....
I had an issue with mine where one of the nuts bound up on the DSS shaft, killing the thread.
No issue, they replaced the faulty bits BUT, check the nuts.
One of mine was "tightish" to tighten by hand, the other bound up pretty tight as soon as the crimped section hit the threads (which is what killed it)
The replacement nut can be finger tightened all the way.
Just saying, take note. If in doubt, hit them up for a nut.

OP
OP

dubster99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT PP
Yup. It's that easy. However....
I had an issue with mine where one of the nuts bound up on the DSS shaft, killing the thread.
No issue, they replaced the faulty bits BUT, check the nuts.
One of mine was "tightish" to tighten by hand, the other bound up pretty tight as soon as the crimped section hit the threads (which is what killed it)
The replacement nut can be finger tightened all the way.
Just saying, take note. If in doubt, hit them up for a nut.
That’s what she said? Haha. If they’re the same size as the oem nut I have two spares. I got them in anticipation of doing the gears before the axles. Thanks for the heads up!

Burkey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
That’s what she said? Haha. If they’re the same size as the oem nut I have two spares. I got them in anticipation of doing the gears before the axles. Thanks for the heads up!
I should probably do a thread about this (no pun intended).:thumbsup:
Sponsored