Sponsored

Stained my my Velgens. Need suggestions.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Well, I screwed up.

My nephew and his girlfriend gave me an Armor All detail bucket for Christmas. I don't use Armor All products on my car, but I politely thanked them and brought the stuff home.

Washed the car today and without thinking about it, I decided to use the Armor All wheel and tire cleaner.

Big mistake. It has totally f--ked up the powdered coated finish on the wheels. See the before and after pics below.

Sure enough, I looked on Velgen's website and they warn against using anything other than soap and water b/c strong chemicals can stain the finish. :doh:

Only thing I can think to do is have them re-powdered coated.

Anyone have any thoughts other than me being a big dumb ass?
Velgen new.jpg
Velgen stained.jpg
Sponsored

RubyRed15

Ok, so it's blue.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
As far as I know, you're hosed... recoating is the only fix.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)

'Merica

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Z51 3LT Stingray
Ouch!!! Get you some chemical guys or sonax wheel cleaner and toss the wal mart junk in the garbage!

Sponsored

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Ouch!!! Get you some chemical guys or sonax wheel cleaner and toss the wal mart junk in the garbage!
Yeah. Like I said, I don't "usually" use Armor All or other cheap stuff. I use Pinnacle Souveran, 303 Areospace, Adams VRT, etc. Good quality products. But one little lapse in judgment and I f--k up $2000 dollars worth of wheels.

I'm internet shopping now for a good powder coating outfit in Austin.

I like Velgen's gun metal color, which is a matte finish. I'm thinking I might have them redone in this color but with an enamel finish look, like the original PP wheels had.

Edit - found a powder coater that seems to be first rate. Here's a few pics off their website. Thinking about this kind of finish. And the grey color is very close.
Powder Coat - gun metal.jpg
Powder Coated - green.jpg

Last edited:

Sammzway

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (traded) / 16 Acura MDX
Jesus man, sorry about your accident. On the flip side, it's reversible. Reputable wheel shop can bring it back to life again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Jesus man, sorry about your accident. On the flip side, it's reversible. Reputable wheel shop can bring it back to life again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks, Sam. Live and learn I guess. I want be using any harsh tire and wheel cleaners again. :cheers:

P51DNA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
you could plastidip or liquid wrap the wheels until you're ready to spend the dough on powdercoating.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
bummer man, it's crazy it did that. were the wheels hot when you did it after driving?

i use heavily diluted chem guys diablo gel to help with damn brake dust on my velgens... it sorta works but works better than soap because but I do have it diluted alot.

Sponsored
OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
bummer man, it's crazy it did that. were the wheels hot when you did it after driving?

i use heavily diluted chem guys diablo gel to help with damn brake dust on my velgens... it sorta works but works better than soap because but I do have it diluted alot.
I don't think wheels could have been very hot. It was in the upper forties and I just drove from my house to the car wash, which is only 1 mike or so.

Pretty expensive mistake. I'm thinking a nice powder coating will run me a grand or so.

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
Have you tried rubbing compound on them?
Haven't tried that. I will, but I'm not hopeful. I scubbed on them pretty good and I think the orignal powder coat finish has been chemically burned or etched by the chemicals in the cleaner.

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
yeah I was gonna say clay it and see if you can hand buff it out... or is it literally just ate into the finish?

OP
OP
BeauxXL1200

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
yeah I was gonna say clay it and see if you can hand buff it out... or is it literally just ate into the finish?
I'll try some compound and buffing, but it seems to be a permanent discoloration.
Sponsored