Sponsored

TSB: Build Dates for MT82, Engine Noise Issues

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
I have been reading the various threads dealing with MT82 and engine noise issues with a great deal of apprehension ever since I picked my car up last weekend.

Has anyone thought to look at the build dates for the various cars having problems? I mean are they isolated to certain dates or do they span the entire MY18 production run?

For my car, i have a build date-ish of May 2018. Would be interesting to see if the issues are confined to a certain date range, which would then help Ford identify possible production issues.

I found the following TSBs for 2018 Mustangs, some of which are date-specific (sorry, its a long list):

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/reports/free-reviews-complaints-report/nhtsa-service-bulletins.php?make=ford&model=mustang&year=2018
Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
You should understand Ford sell 10,000 Mustangs a month.......and a few dozen have these issues.

Now is the time to start your mod thread, not your neurosis thread.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
You should understand Ford sell 10,000 Mustangs a month.......and a few dozen have these issues.

Now is the time to start your mod thread, not your neurosis thread.
Hopefully your 2019 Bullitt will be perfect. Dealing with Ford on any matter is a pain in the ass.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I have been reading the various threads dealing with MT82 and engine noise issues with a great deal of apprehension ever since I picked my car up last weekend.

Has anyone thought to look at the build dates for the various cars having problems? I mean are they isolated to certain dates or do they span the entire MY18 production run?

For my car, i have a build date-ish of May 2018. Would be interesting to see if the issues are confined to a certain date range, which would then help Ford identify possible production issues.

I found the following TSBs for 2018 Mustangs, some of which are date-specific (sorry, its a long list):

https://www.vehiclehistory.com/reports/free-reviews-complaints-report/nhtsa-service-bulletins.php?make=ford&model=mustang&year=2018
Are you having any issues? There are several major ones with lots of threads. Mine was the engine rattle at low rpm. My build date is November 16, 2017.

OP
OP
JD_GTPP2

JD_GTPP2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro, 2SS/1LE
Are you having any issues? There are several major ones with lots of threads. Mine was the engine rattle at low rpm. My build date is November 16, 2017.

[MENTION=34968]bigriver[/MENTION], No, no issues yet, but then again I may cross the 500 mile mark today, so I would not expect any. I just wondered if anyone had tried to see if certain build date ranges had more issues than others.

[MENTION=35287]Jimmy G[/MENTION], you bring up a good point. There are lots of threads and videos out there that say "I am hearing lots of stories about problems with this or that". Would be very interesting to see exactly how widespread (or not) the issues really are.

My intent was not to spark neuroses, but rather a conversation based on some hard data to maybe find a trend.

JD

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Hopefully your 2019 Bullitt will be perfect. Dealing with Ford on any matter is a pain in the ass.
I've read about your engine dramas, but I don't believe the issue is widespread.

I'm a technical guy and I like to work on my own cars. I hunt down EPC's and TSB's....I wallow in that stuff. When I heard that the Bullitt was coming my way, I decided to do some research. I've been here a few weeks and I've read about the air conditioning evaporator leaks, the engine ticks, the GT350 oil consumption, the loose hub nuts, the RHD oil cooler failures, the poor panel fitment, the failing rear cameras, the underdash rattles, the crap paint quality, the broken shift forks, the phantom check engine lights....etc, etc....and despite all that, I'm still in the market for a very expensive dark green Ford. To be continued.....

@Jimmy G , you bring up a good point. There are lots of threads and videos out there that say "I am hearing lots of stories about problems with this or that". Would be very interesting to see exactly how widespread (or not) the issues really are.

My intent was not to spark neuroses, but rather a conversation based on some hard data to maybe find a trend. JD

....and the reason I'm still in the market is because I understand that forums concentrate all the issues that cars have. The Mazda RX-8 forum is full of blown engines, yet my car never went back to the dealer for a single issue in the three years I had it. Everyone complains about how unreliable twin turbo RX-7 turbo control systems are (a dozen solenoids and 20 feet of 1/4 inch vacuum tubing subjected to high heat), yet my RX-7 never had a single boost issue in the 50,000 miles I did in it.

People get on forums seeking solutions to weird and wonderful problems. How many times have you seen someone driving on a flat tire? That person complains on a forum that their tire only lasted 9 years and their dad has a Plymouth that has 40 year old tires on it. Some people are morons, some people don't understand statistics, some people abuse their cars, some people can't read a dipstick...and yes, sometimes things just break.

Fundamentally I believe the Mustang is a good car and it's improving all the time.

Last edited:

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Fundamentally I believe the Mustang is a good car and it's improving all the time.
Yes, the Mustang is an AMAZING car. Too bad Ford sucks at customer service. I've never had a perfect car, but other brands I've dealt with have at least been decent at getting issues resolved. Dealing with Ford has been a nightmare.

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
[MENTION=34968]bigriver[/MENTION], No, no issues yet, but then again I may cross the 500 mile mark today, so I would not expect any. I just wondered if anyone had tried to see if certain build date ranges had more issues than others.

[MENTION=35287]Jimmy G[/MENTION], you bring up a good point. There are lots of threads and videos out there that say "I am hearing lots of stories about problems with this or that". Would be very interesting to see exactly how widespread (or not) the issues really are.

My intent was not to spark neuroses, but rather a conversation based on some hard data to maybe find a trend.

JD
I disagree I'm not sure how he is coming up with a "few dozens" have issues. Just because people don't report the issues here doesn't mean its not happening. One dealer I was speaking with told me that they had over 30 customers bring in their Mustangs in the last month for transmission diagnosis.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I disagree I'm not sure how he is coming up with a "few dozens" have issues. Just because people don't report the issues here doesn't mean its not happening. One dealer I was speaking with told me that they had over 30 customers bring in their Mustangs in the last month for transmission diagnosis.
Statistical Guesstimate

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Yes we should all go back to the good old days when there was no internet and we all thought it was our fault cause we gunned the engine to 4 grand 2 months ago and now the engine is blown.

More people have the issue than sign up and come here -Period!

The fact that the evaporator is redesigned a zillion times means that it has a problem.

Sure back in the day if a Star Trek star got run over and killed they would quickly have the faulty tranny in the news as a problem transmission. But that rarely happens. These forums and the experiences of customers is the best way to empower people to take the cars in and make them (the car makers) fix the issue! And even have a shot at the repair after the warantee expires because they can show these posts and polls to bolster their argument that is was the car maker’s fault.

Rock on with the bitch fest! :headbang:

Sponsored

youra6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 Evo VIII RS, 2018 Mustang GT
I've read about your engine dramas, but I don't believe the issue is widespread.

I'm a technical guy and I like to work on my own cars. I hunt down EPC's and TSB's....I wallow in that stuff. When I heard that the Bullitt was coming my way, I decided to do some research. I've been here a few weeks and I've read about the air conditioning evaporator leaks, the engine ticks, the GT350 oil consumption, the loose hub nuts, the RHD oil cooler failures, the poor panel fitment, the failing rear cameras, the underdash rattles, the crap paint quality, the broken shift forks, the phantom check engine lights....etc, etc....and despite all that, I'm still in the market for a very expensive dark green Ford. To be continued.....

....and the reason I'm still in the market is because I understand that forums concentrate all the issues that cars have. The Mazda RX-8 forum is full of blown engines, yet my car never went back to the dealer for a single issue in the three years I had it. Everyone complains about how unreliable twin turbo RX-7 turbo control systems are (a dozen solenoids and 20 feet of 1/4 inch vacuum tubing subjected to high heat), yet my RX-7 never had a single boost issue in the 50,000 miles I did in it.

People get on forums seeking solutions to weird and wonderful problems. How many times have you seen someone driving on a flat tire? That person complains on a forum that their tire only lasted 9 years and their dad has a Plymouth that has 40 year old tires on it. Some people are morons, some people don't understand statistics, some people abuse their cars, some people can't read a dipstick...and yes, sometimes things just break.

Some people don't understand statistics? I guess thats true but neither do you. For you to prove or disapprove that there is actually an issue in terms of stats, you would need to gather lots of sample data and run significance tests to determine if the issue is by chance or is actually significant.

There are so many variables you dont know such as what is considered by Ford as an acceptable failure rate. So Im not sure how anything can be proved by stats.

M151A2

Skinny old dude
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emmett
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I’ve been reading this “gloom and doom” page as well and wonder about some of the posts.
Had my car for 2 1/2 years without one problem. Go figure.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I’ve been reading this “gloom and doom” page as well and wonder about some of the posts.
Had my car for 2 1/2 years without one problem. Go figure.

Outside of the evaporator it’s mostly the 2018. Look, the shift forks are made of aluminum now and that was a mistake. I saw two on YouTube with one a member here. Now a third and there are only a handful of these guys so it is worrying. This new guy only had the the car for like 2,500 miles till the manual broke and all they could do was replace the tranny. He traded the 2018 for a 2017. That is he upgraded from a 2017 to a 2018 and went back to the 2017 because he had enough. Then that other guy who had the tranny and engine both go after just a few thousand miles. When was the last time that happened?

There are problems with the 2018 and every manual or like 50% have that flawed fork. How can you question that?

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Gow3WYutETo[/MEDIA]"]

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Gents there are 300,000 sixth generation Mustangs in the US. Let’s say a massive 5000 of them have shagged gearboxes and or engines. That’s still under 2% with major defects.

There’s a reason you’re seeing a few YouTube videos, the Mustang is incredibly popular.

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
Gents there are 300,000 sixth generation Mustangs in the US. Let’s say a massive 5000 of them have shagged gearboxes and or engines. That’s still under 2% with major defects.

There’s a reason you’re seeing a few YouTube videos, the Mustang is incredibly popular.

Early days yet as the model is just 6 months old. Expect more problems as time goes on. But me thinks there will be a major recall on the forks soon.
Sponsored