Sponsored

Adding driving lights - The concept

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
I've been looking into the various options to Improve the headlights.
1.changing the High beam HID globes - possible.
2. converting the fog lights into drivings lights- lights too low to ground
may have issues with heat dissipation being small enclosure.

Or do what I have done with other vehicles - fit driving lights,what a
Brilliant idea.
This would not interfere with the operation of any of the factory lights.
Ok now which ones to buy that would not detract from the looks of the vehicle and will be practical, which is what I'm looking for.

I checked out the Light-force Venom 150mm LED driving lights,
I think these have possibilities so I've done a concept photo of how it might look.
The technical details of mounting them are still being investigated.
Any thoughts on the Idea?
Venom spotlights2.jpg
Sponsored

Hellman109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Convertible (See my garage)
Vehicle Showcase
Any thoughts on the Idea?
Please never drive behind me if you do that as you will dazzle drivers in front of you and potentially cause accidents, but at the least piss everyone off.

Headlights are self-levelling and are required to be that way when they're as bright as they are.

Get in touch with Loudz Creations in Adelaide for some brighter headlights, AFAIK he has the kits ready to go, plug and play, still self levelling as they use the stock housing, etc.

Probably far cheaper then adding lights too.

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Please never drive behind me if you do that as you will dazzle drivers in front of you and potentially cause accidents, but at the least piss everyone off.

Headlights are self-levelling and are required to be that way when they're as bright as they are.

Get in touch with Loudz Creations in Adelaide for some brighter headlights, AFAIK he has the kits ready to go, plug and play, still self levelling as they use the stock housing, etc.

Probably far cheaper then adding lights too.
Thanks for the lead to Loudz Creations, will definitely follow up with them.

The last people you would want to piss off out here are the road trains
their lights are as bright as the sun so one would lose out it that competition. LOL

Driving lights installed correctly will only work when High beam is selected, they must also have a switch to isolate the lights when not required,
As a responsible road user I use only when required in the driving situation,such as long distance open road when you need to see the road ahead, having good lights also reduces the risk of fatigue, hitting cattle, kangaroos, camels.etc
Cheers.

radar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Convertible 5 Litre V8
Long lamented your concept pic is not offered as Factory option.
Looks fantastic on XR to XB GT.
reminiscent of 69 Mach 1.

FMGTV8

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
use to own - "2017 Mustang GT V8 Ruby Red Manual"
Like your concept but the practicalities of mounting could be an issue plus those lights are 1.2kg each.
Not really sure how you could mount securely in the grille location? :shrug:
Problem with most LED lights is the weight factor as they require adequate fins/metal work for cooling.

Found this link : https://www.bajadesigns.com/products/rally-innovations-fog-pocket-kit.asp

Maybe contact them and see what they can suggest. :cheers:

Sponsored

apsilon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Grabber Blue manual GT in transit
May have compromised air flow to engine compartment
While I like the idea given the long history of certain Mustangs having lights in the grille, I do know Ford AU has been rejecting engine warranty claims for Rangers that have changed their grille to the popular "Raptor" style grille citing the change in airflow. It's a BS excuse but puts the onus back on the owner to prove otherwise which would be expensive.

RoyalCrimsonGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bong
Vehicle(s)
2018 MGT P, 10R80, PP1, MagneRide, ActiveExhaust
Vehicle Showcase
While I like the idea given the long history of certain Mustangs having lights in the grille, I do know Ford AU has been rejecting engine warranty claims for Rangers that have changed their grille to the popular "Raptor" style grille citing the change in airflow. It's a BS excuse but puts the onus back on the owner to prove otherwise which would be expensive.
i can see why they'd reject warranty because even on the GT... i've had a drop-in k&n since week two of owning the GT and just recently drilled open some of the plastic honeycomb holes in front of the intake and felt the perfect increase in throttle response.. so greedy me decided to drill them all open and now the stock calibration seems off like the a/f is off, even the auto shifts seem affected :( so for now, stock paper filter is back on til i get a tuner :headbonk:

GT 550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black GT MT S550
I thought the Warranty t&c were such that Ford needs to prove how modifications contributed to a failure before rejecting a claim. So not just citing 'changed airflow' but exactly proving exactly how the airflow change led to the failure. Won't stop them from trying though.

Max have a look at this, 2014 grille in a 2015 car. If you're handy it might provide a mounting solution for you.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56754&page=4

Last edited:

Spike-S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Spike
Vehicle(s)
5.0 GT Mustang Fastback2016
Have you vied the DIY section Page 5 ? (a different take on grill lights) May give you some inspiration !

Sponsored
OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
i can see why they'd reject warranty because even on the GT... i've had a drop-in k&n since week two of owning the GT and just recently drilled open some of the plastic honeycomb holes in front of the intake and felt the perfect increase in throttle response.. so greedy me decided to drill them all open and now the stock calibration seems off like the a/f is off, even the auto shifts seem affected :( so for now, stock paper filter is back on til i get a tuner :headbonk:
Oops I knew there must be a reason why they were blanked off, so I,ll be leaving them alone.

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Thanks to you all for your valuable inputs on the driving light concept.
Some dot points that you have highlighted and items I also had reservations about
Such as Changes to air flow,
The physical size and weight of the lights.
The secure mounting method I looked at by fabricating a mount that attaches to the
Metal box section that runs across the front inside the bumper, although it would work
It may change the energy absorption properties of the front in the event of a frontal impact.
Secondly having 2 flat metal bars protruding through the grill to mount the lights on would not go down well with the authorities.
So I ruled that out.

I did see the build the guy did with mounting the lights in the grill, he did a magnificent job.

To sum up at this point in time I think it will remain a concept.
I will be contacting Loudz Creations and see what they can offer
And will update the post on my decision.
Cheers MaxQ

Flying Fiz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Model GT Fastback Oxford White Auto
May have compromised air flow to engine compartment
I agree that the lights as configured in the mock-up photo could be a problem, as the passenger side looks like it would affect airflow into the engine air intake.

It is sensitive - I drilled out all the black honeycomb right in front of the intake and noticed an improvement in performance. I also have the Steeda CIA with a huge diameter pipe into the TB, so I figured that helped.

Fotd17

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 FM Mustang
Hi there, how did this all work out. I have changed the fog lights over to LED driving lights with day LED time running lights, they look cool and do add a bit of extra light to high beam but auto electrician is having a problem hooking them up to the High/low beam which is what I want. Has anyone made this work?

OP
OP
MaxQ

MaxQ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White 5.0 GT
Hi David, I did not go ahead with the idea of the driving lights. instead I upgraded the headlight globes to 35w, as I don't do much long distance driving these days.
Sponsored