2020 GT500 Mustang Caught Testing Uncovered For The First Time

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Some people are curious of the side skirt that is going half way up th car. I looked at one of the screenshots from the NAIAS teaser video thread and cranked up the brightness. I think that extra splitter is going to be part of the car.
Active aero? Hope the front splitter is adjustable/active. Sure would make it easier to drive all over - then flip the switch...
Sponsored

Dary

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Premium GT
So, why would this car be more superior than Hellcat and ZL1? Not putting any product down.

Ford with all their experience on high performance for years, has spent a lot of time on this car. So there is to be something special to stay on the top of Hellcat & ZL1.
Maybe they're not worried about Hellcat & ZL1...
2019-gt500-porsche-911-gt3.jpg

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase

Carbon Addict

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
so after 17 pages the only real complaint is the use of last years headlight design? which everyone loved last year.

have you seen the shit show going on with the '19 Camaro refresh? Rejoice Mustangers.
90% of the people who own a 15-17 will be a fan of the headlights because it's the same as their car. 90% of people who own an 18 will say the 15-17 headlights are crap because they are different than their car. Consider the source about who complains about what. 90% of this forum is fanboys.

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver
90% of the people who own a 15-17 will be a fan of the headlights because it's the same as their car. 90% of people who own an 18 will say the 15-17 headlights are crap because they are different than their car. Consider the source about who complains about what. 90% of this forum is fanboys.
And the gt350 looks best out of all s550s until the 500 is revealed then we may have a new winner! :)

Sponsored

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
My concerns with this refresh are:
1. For a $100,000 car, they couldn't develop new headlights?
2. Did they go to an electronic parking break on a performance car?
3. How much is this car going to weigh?
4. What makes it better than the competition?
5. Why should I get this car instead of a 2018 Mustang GT with a Whipple?

I think everything looks visually solid except the headlights.

Nameless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tedd
Vehicle(s)
'13 GT
It’s no time going to be 100,000... I think it will be just around 70k for base and 75k for GT500-R

I think so... I can’t see why not.

Around 4100 according to people on this forum

Supposedly will handle LIKE the Camaro ZL1 (so, better than the Hellcat Widebody) and it will be significantly faster than the Hellcat Widebody on straights (so, better than the Camaro ZL1). It should be even faster than the Upcoming 725HP Hellcat DragPack.

Because it’s a GT500 hahaha... well it’s all up to you.

I’m attaching the prices of the ZL1 (auto), ZL1–1LE (Manual), Hellcat (Auto) and Hellcat Widebody (Auto).
17639A4D-33F0-4333-ADB3-64FD3540D300.jpeg

supersnake94

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Focus SE
Active aero? Hope the front splitter is adjustable/active. Sure would make it easier to drive all over - then flip the switch...
I was going to say, that would be cool. Have it retractable or removable. Hat would be cool. Would not want to accidentally curb those and break. Some mentioned before that this car is supposed to have some “screws that do unique things.” Possible that is it?

seth21w

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Seth
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT base PP ingot silver

I think everything looks visually solid except the headlights.
Electric parking brake no! Thats camaros thing. :crazy:

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
It’s no time going to be 100,000... I think it will be just around 70k for base and 75k for GT500-R

Around 4100 according to people on this forum

Supposedly will handle LIKE the Camaro ZL1 (so, better than the Hellcat Widebody) and it will be significantly faster than the Hellcat Widebody on straights (so, better than the Camaro ZL1). It should be even faster than the Upcoming 725HP Hellcat DragPack.

I’m attaching the prices of the ZL1 (auto), ZL1–1LE (Manual), Hellcat (Auto) and Hellcat Widebody (Auto).
Yep.

I'm thinking the GT500 will come in around $69k+ $900 destination = $69.9k.

As for the R / track / 1LE competitor... it really depends on what they do with this. I could see them adding better aero, larger spoiler, GT350 carbon fiber R wheels * and possibly a "track key" for more aggressive track / race gas tune. That could add as much as $10k.

* - The more they can get the volume up on these CF wheels, probably the cheaper the unit price.

Sponsored

Marino

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Moped
Electric parking brake no! Thats camaros thing. :crazy:
I'm very much advocating against an electronic parking break. If you look at the rear calipers it looks just like the same setup used on other cars with electronic parking breaks.

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
If the assumption is the GT500 is going to have an electronic parking brake because of the shot of the second smaller caliper.....well, I don't think that's a given. The (Shelby American) Super Snake has a similar setup, and that has a regular parking brake

2015-Shelby-Super-Snake-110.jpg

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
If the assumption is the GT500 is going to have an electronic parking brake because of the shot of the second smaller caliper.....well, I don't think that's a given. The (Shelby American) Super Snake has a similar setup, and that has a regular parking brake
This!

You guys forget that not all caliper designs support the use of a cable driven e-brake. In fact, you have to do some fancy BS to avoid having the drum-inside-the-rotor-hat design that plagues many vehicles.

It doesn't make sense to me that Ford would re-engineer the center console area for a low volume car like this. The S550 replacement, sure. But this is still on the S550 platform and needs to use as many parts as possible out of the parts bin (just like the 350) to keep the costs down.

I know I keep saying this, but if Ford would have gone for this look, the new GT500 would've looked killer
attachment.jpg
:hail:

That is the business.

Spart

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT350
Another angle of that car's sister (Aussie Super2 spec car, for those wondering.)
super2-2018-mustang-marc.jpg

_M_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A Mustang
The GT350s produced in 2017 and 2018 have the coolers, so I expect they weigh a bit more than a 2016 tech. That is, unless you've added some aftermarket parts to it.
Just one additional cooler, correct? And what’s that weigh? Can’t be that much. You’re still talking 350+ pounds.

Edit: two coolers. Trans and diff. Right?
Sponsored