Carlos is as bias as he ever has been. God review
Sponsored

Triton54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
18 GT A-10 (mine) 17 GT pp, 6spd (wifes)
Pretty cool, especially for someone like me that is gonna get back into Mustangs after a 25 year hiatus..... and of course this site!!!

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I'm personally surprised they didn't do a PP vs 2SS... that would be a bit more even

krishelnino

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Krishna
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 Race Red
I would've taken this review more seriously if he hadn't mentioned the stang has more torque than the Camaro :headbonk:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I would have taken it more seriously if they would've used a PP

Sponsored

OP
OP
morgande

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
I actuality think this was a good. My criticism would probably be over using the 10 speed auto vs the manual. Other than that it was a good apple to apple comparison. The old S550 base model was really behind the SS. The new one is much more 1:1.

Last edited:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
I think they should have had a manual, PP equipped mustang to go up against a Camaro 2SS. That would be about as apples to apples as it could get... both get magride, both have premium interiors, both have summer performance tires, and both have around the same price tag. I just priced out on both sites what I think would be an even match, it was a Camaro 2SS with magneride and a couple other odds and ends (Nav, sport pedals, illuminated foorwells, etc) that came out to $47,945 vs a Mustang GT premium 401A Performance pack with magneride that came out to $47,885. The only advantage I see is that the Camaro has Blind Spot monitoring, which I could have added the Safe & Smart package to the mustang for, but then the mustang would have a plethora of features that the camaro doesn't, so I figured leaving it without that package would probably be the most fair method. I really wish magazines could option out their own cars for a comparison test rather than just getting whatever the company gives them

Last edited:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What I don't understand is this whole desire for apples to apples this and directly compare that...especially on the weight and equipment. The point is that not everything IS apples to apples. Base to base, the Mustang is screwed. Loaded to loaded, the Mustang might catch up to the Camaro as long as it's not a 1LE. Slapping on a 2SS just to make the Camaro heavier but comparing it to a base trim Performance Pack car is just kinda silly. Should have we added a bunch of barbells in the back trunk when the S197 was 3650lbs and the Zeta Camaro 1SS was 3900? That's apples to apples, just like everyone else wants. Perspective people...

02gtnh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 corvette conv. 17 F150
I think they should have had a manual, PP equipped mustang to go up against a Camaro 2SS. That would be about as apples to apples as it could get... both get magride, both have premium interiors, both have summer performance tires, and both have around the same price tag. I just priced out on both sites what I think would be an even match, it was a Camaro 2SS with magneride and a couple other odds and ends (Nav, sport pedals, illuminated foorwells, etc) that came out to $47,945 vs a Mustang GT premium 401A Performance pack with magneride that came out to $47,885. The only advantage I see is that the Camaro has Blind Spot monitoring, which I could have added the Safe & Smart package to the mustang for, but then the mustang would have a plethora of features that the camaro doesn't, so I figured leaving it without that package would probably be the most fair method. I really wish magazines could potion out their own cars for a comparison test rather than just getting whatever the company gives them
That was a 2SS that was tested.:cheers:

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
What I don't understand is this whole desire for apples to apples this and directly compare that...especially on the weight and equipment. The point is that not everything IS apples to apples. Base to base, the Mustang is screwed. Loaded to loaded, the Mustang might catch up to the Camaro as long as it's not a 1LE. Slapping on a 2SS just to make the Camaro heavier but comparing it to a base trim Performance Pack car is just kinda silly. Should have we added a bunch of barbells in the back trunk when the S197 was 3650lbs and the Zeta Camaro 1SS was 3900? That's apples to apples, just like everyone else wants. Perspective people...
Apples to apples doesn't mean modifying cars to make one as fast as the other, it means finding the most equally-optioned versions of each to compare to remove as many variables as possible... you know, the way experimentation is done

Also, it could be a Premium PP vs a 2SS, but the mustang comes standard with a lot of the equipment that the 2SS has, so it doesn't really matter if the extra equipment makes the camaro heavier

Sponsored

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
That was a 2SS that was tested.:cheers:
Yep, and it was also a GT Premium 401a, but for some reason, they decided to forego the PP and get the blackout package, premium sound, and safe and smart instead :doh:

Billy1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I wouldn't take anything Edmund's says too seriously, as they have not updated their news website in months. They decided it was just too much trouble to do daily updates.

Thus I have not been to their website in months, and don't steer anyone there.

OP
OP
morgande

morgande

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP Ingot Silver | 2013 Ford F150
I wouldn't take anything Edmund's says too seriously, as they have not updated their news website in months. They decided it was just too much trouble to do daily updates.

Thus I have not been to their website in months, and don't steer anyone there.
I wouldn't discredit Edmunds based on the regularity of their content. I look for reviews to be as objective as possible. I want an opinion, and I want to hear WHY the reviewer has the opinion that they have. I don't like opinions based on pure bias, be it in favor or against something.

Edmunds has certainly fell off the wagon. Carlos Lago can't seem to make up his mind if he's going to be on Edmunds or Motor Trend. And he's inherently bias against domestics in general and Mustangs in particular. But, in spite of his bias, I came away with a reasonable comparison between the 2018 Pony Cars in this review.

I was hoping to hear that the new Mustang stock suspension (non PP, PP2) would be more in line with the stock SS suspension. Judging from this video, I think Ford has achieved that. I don't care about price comparisons. For me, this was a good Apples to Apples comparison based on the capability that each vehicle is giving you in stock form. Thats what I wanted to see, and I liked what I heard.

JChors

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Horse
Edmunds made another cock-up by showing a ZL1 in some of the track shots in the video above.
Sponsored