Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
Come on now. A few months vs a few years. Especially knowing the performance updates and available options on the 2018 (if they interest you) are an improvement. The 2018 is what the 2015 should have been.
The best car is always two or three years down the road if your waiting to get the best car you'll never buy a car. The best Mustang ever made is here Now!
Sponsored

foghat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT w/PP
The best car is always two or three years down the road if your waiting to get the best car you'll never buy a car. The best Mustang ever made is here Now!
His valid point being: the '18 is not years down the road and we and already know a fair bit about it. I agree with him, unless you do not have a car now, waiting for the '18 makes a lot of sense.

I guess if you absolutely hate the '18s, go for a '17 now, but otherwise I'd be waiting for the new shiny model to arrive.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Not really. Look at Porsche.
Subaru stock cast pistons suck, and their design has some weird compromises (dogleg exhaust ports on 1 cyl per bank, long exhaust manifold runners to turbo etc).
Its not the boxer design.
Now... Ford tooling up to build a flat eight of entirely new design (pretty much requiring an all new casting plant and machining plant), and then fitting it between the frame rails of a platform that is already tight with a coyote?
Wow.
What do you mean. Porsche had the same reliability issues with their flat fours with head gasket issues. It's not a good design and the benefits of a horizontally opposed engine are not even worth it. It's just got that "cool" uniqueness kind of like the rotary but outside of that, eh... I would not be saddened at all if they switched to a inline for more reliability and performance.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I thought LEDs were supposed to run cool as well.

From a post I found at anandtech - is long but informative. Though maybe not %100 applicable as he is talking about screw in leds for the home:
Yes, heat dissipation is the reason. Not all household LED bulbs are rated for 'enclosed applications', which would mean that there might not be adequate air flow or volume to keep the LED cool enough.

I found something more general at http://www.circuitdiagram.org/simple-basic-led-circuit.html . The diagrams are on the site, the mis-spelling theirs. Side note - the different-resistance-for-different-voltage requirement is probably why some household LEDs will work with dimmers while others won't.

A basic led circuit is nothing more than 3 simple things which are a battery, a current limiting resistor and an LED. A current limiting resistor is used to provide the accurate required current to the LED, connecting the LEDs direct with the battery or power supply will damage them or shorten their life.

Here are the four basic led circuits [for four different battery voltages], in these circuits a single LED is operated with four different voltage batteries using a different current limiting resistor with each battery. If you want to operate your LED with other voltages like for example 4, 5, 7, 8, 14, etc. then you can also find a suitable resistor for these voltages with the help of LED led resistor calculator. There are many websites, which provide free led resistor calculator and you can find them by seach.

Norm

Sponsored

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
That's the standard reply but many know that there are plateaus in technology/cars that would be wise to wait on.

In computers, it's waiting to buy a new PC with the old processor when the next gen is a few months away. Unless you absolutely need it it's wise to wait. Same with things like non-retina to retina screens. Next up is retina to OLED. Buy an iPhone 7 now or wait 5+ months for a new gen with huge changes.

In the '15 you had a new design, new IRS, new interior so 3 plateaus.

For the Mustang in '18 there are multiple plateaus here. 10 speed transmission that won't be replaced any time soon. The digital gauge cluster which will be here to stay. The dual mode exhaust/quad tips. Front/rear fascia (love or hate), PP in auto. Magna-ride. Etc.

This '18 is waaaay more then a refresh, it's almost a new gen considering they are touching almost every aspect of the car here.

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
True, but the new 10 speed auto and the digital cluster are very strong wants, at least for me. Too bad they come with a hideous facelift.
I agree. Those two will be good upgrades.

Shark77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MS3
More power for the average person? Won't be able to use it. The front end? Downgrade. Magneride? People won't push their car hard enough to make a difference. Everything on the 2018 is a want, not a need.
Kind of like you're making an argument for people to buy something more sensible, like an Accord. Did you feel this way about the GT350? Perhaps not the looks, but the performance?

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
That's laughable. What an ignorant statement. The 2015 is/was just fine. The 2018 definitely isn't what the 2015 should have been. They made some pretty big changes in 2015. Don't really care all that much about anything on the 2018 car. More power for the average person? Won't be able to use it. The front end? Downgrade. Magneride? People won't push their car hard enough to make a difference. Everything on the 2018 is a want, not a need.
This is the typical response you'd get from someone who already owns a 2015-2017.

I'd be stupid not to wait for a 2018 in my position.

One could also argue the 2015-2017's will be more susceptible to higher PSI in boost than the new ones.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I bet you can't wait to get out of that Corolla. I know I can't wait to get out of my old SN95. If we're this close why not wait for the '18.
You have no idea... lol. Had an S550 5.0 blow past me the other day and I just said to myself.... just wait.... wait...

Spartan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer Sport
This is the typical response you'd get from someone who already owns a 2015-2017.

I'd be stupid not to wait for a 2018 in my position.

One could also argue the 2015-2017's will be more susceptible to higher PSI in boost than the new ones.
Yep you'd be stupid not to wait. You get the best of both worlds...choosing between the '17 or '18 since we're only about 1.5 months from ordering & about 5-6 for delivery. '18 is a NICE car and I agree it's what the '15 should have been in terms of upgrades/items.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Magneride? People won't push their car hard enough to make a difference.
Magneride isn't just about performance, it's also about suspension compliance and feel. My GT350 rides worlds better than my friend's WRX which is relatively soft all things considered. And people won't push their car hard enough? lol......okay whatever. Because no one ever goes to track days or high performance driving events. Hell even autocross I can feel a massive difference between Normal, Sport, and Track.

Rambl3r

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 PP GT
You have no idea... lol. Had an S550 5.0 blow past me the other day and I just said to myself.... just wait.... wait...
I said the exact same thing for the longest. :lol:
Sponsored