Sponsored

2019 Bullitt Mustang Officially Revealed at NAIAS!

R N M

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Subaru BRZ, 2013 BMW 535i
Filmed this at NY Auto Show - Bullitt looks great!

[ame]
Sponsored

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
VW Touareg TDI, Lincoln MKZ, F-350 TD
So is B&O a really good system? I'm old and haven't paid attention to car stereos since high school.
B&O makes very good high-end home and car audio systems and this should be a noticeable upgrade, but only time will tell.

They have been producing car audio systems for some time for Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

The car audio division of B&O was bought by Harman International in 2015, the parent company for audio brands like AKG Acoustics, Harman/Kardon, JBL, Mark Levinson and Revel. Harman International was recently bought by Samsung for $8 billion. So, Samsung now owns the car audio division of B&O.

There are B&O car systems that are options costing $6,000 and more.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Wow, okay cool thanks. I stand corrected then. Could have sworn I remembered feeling the carving of the shift pattern just like the old school shift knobs. :confused:
I actually talked with Sean Kiernan about this when I interviewed him and he confirmed that the show car did in fact have the shift pattern engraved into the shift knob. The pre-production cars we're seeing don't have the final knob, and he said the production cars will have the shift pattern engraved into it, no printing.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
B&O makes very good high-end home and car audio systems and this should be a noticeable upgrade, but only time will tell.

They have been producing car audio systems for some time for Aston Martin, Audi, Bentley, BMW, Mercedes-Benz, etc.

The car audio division of B&O was bought by Harman International in 2015, the parent company for audio brands like AKG Acoustics, Harman/Kardon, JBL, Mark Levinson and Revel. Harman International was recently bought by Samsung for $8 billion. So, Samsung now owns the car audio division of B&O.

There are B&O car systems that are options costing $6,000 and more.
The question is were the speakers and audio actually developed and MADE by B&O or is the system just "tuned" by B&O. I know Infinite does that. The speakers and everything are Clarion, but the audio "tuning" was by Bose. Probably why the Infiniti sounds better with all the BOSE stuff off.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
From what Ford has said, the speakers, amps (1,000 watts), and tuning are all B&O/Harmon pieces, specifically tuned by them. The system incorporates the existing Sync3 head-unit (Panasonic).

The tuning is specific to that combination and setup in the Mustang interior. Every reason to believe this will be a very strong performer and a step above anything they have offered to date.

Sponsored

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
From what Ford has said, the speakers, amps (1,000 watts), and tuning are all B&O/Harmon pieces, specifically tuned by them. The system incorporates the existing Sync3 head-unit (Panasonic).

The tuning is specific to that combination and setup in the Mustang interior. Every reason to believe this will be a very strong performer and a step above anything they have offered to date.
I thought I heard that the system put out 1,200 watts? I could be wrong though. I've heard it does sound a lot more powerful than the current Shaker Pro.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
I thought I heard that the system put out 1,200 watts? I could be wrong though. I've heard it does sound a lot more powerful than the current Shaker Pro.
Matt, it is quite possible that it does. The 1,000-watt figure came from some early Ford documentation on the Bullitt and as we know, that spec could have easily been changed along the development process.

Especially if the original testing had been done perhaps with a stock GT and they found that the unique tuning of the Bullitt exhaust sound along with the addition of the GT350 intake pieces, etc., made a difference to the end result.

With everything that Ford has been developing over the past few years and is prepping to release soon (Ford GT, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT500, Bullitt, Bronco, Ranger, etc.), I'm surprised they've got time to blink. ;-)

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Matt, it is quite possible that it does. The 1,000-watt figure came from some early Ford documentation on the Bullitt and as we know, that spec could have easily been changed along the development process.

Especially if the original testing had been done perhaps with a stock GT and they found that the unique tuning of the Bullitt exhaust sound along with the addition of the GT350 intake pieces, etc., made a difference to the end result.

With everything that Ford has been developing over the past few years and is prepping to release soon (Ford GT, Shelby GT350, Shelby GT500, Bullitt, Bronco, Ranger, etc.), I'm surprised they've got time to blink. ;-)
Well they have a lot more time with no sedans to worry about.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
Matt, here is the info Ford has on their site and a link to the page:
Sensational B&O PLAY audio

Like Ford Mustang, Bang & Olufsen is an innovator in both iconic design and heart-racing performance across its line of audio products. And now, for the first time, the B&O PLAY audio system comes to Mustang with a stunning 10-channel amplifier producing 1,000 watts across 12 high-performance speakers.

Customized to the car’s interior environment, sound engineers tuned the B&O PLAY audio system to take both the static and dynamic states of Mustang into account to elevate the senses regardless of driving conditions. B&O PLAY audio connects to the optional SYNC® 3 system, which allows Apple CarPlay compatibility.
I really hope they've just made a mistake and left-out a reference to Andriod Auto. Sure would be a shame if they just offered CarPlay as Andriod Auto is, to my understanding, the better app and the only one that isn't a freakin' monopoly (but that's just my opinion). ;-)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/12/california-special-returns-for-2019-mustang--plus-enthusiast-upd.html

This info is for the California Special, and I suspect, valid for all other Mustangs that order the B&O Play Audio System, but I've not seen anything indicating the B&O system in the Bullitt is different from any of the other Mustang models. Doesn't mean it is/isn't, just no indication either way.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Matt, here is the info Ford has on their site and a link to the page:

I really hope they've just made a mistake and left-out a reference to Andriod Auto. Sure would be a shame if they just offered CarPlay as Andriod Auto is, to my understanding, the better app and the only one that isn't a freakin' monopoly (but that's just my opinion). ;-)

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/12/california-special-returns-for-2019-mustang--plus-enthusiast-upd.html

This info is for the California Special, and I suspect, valid for all other Mustangs that order the B&O Play Audio System, but I've not seen anything indicating the B&O system in the Bullitt is different from any of the other Mustang models. Doesn't mean it is/isn't, just no indication either way.
Thanks for finding that. Looks like it indeed is 1,000 watts. The subwoofer in the trunk looks bigger than the Shaker Pro though. As for Android Auto, they must have just not mentioned it for some reason, because all Sync3 systems come with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability and it's been that way since the 2017 model year.

Sponsored

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
... As for Android Auto, they must have just not mentioned it for some reason, because all Sync3 systems come with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability and it's been that way since the 2017 model year.
That's my thinking as well. Again, they're doing quite a bit, quite quickly, so it is understandable if a few things like that get missed.

I've found the 2019 Mustang Owner's manual (will post link later) and while it does have Bullitt specific stuff, it doesn't seem to talk about the B&O system. However, everywhere it mentions CarPlay it also mentions Android Auto, so my feeling is it will be there. Certainly no reason for it not to be.

Ericc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Various Mustang GTs
so it is understandable if a few things like that get missed.
This press release was probably written by some narrow minded iPhone user who has no clue about the existence of other options.

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
I agree completely Ericc.

Far too many myopic people in positions of responsibility. Or, it could have been an honest oversight, however, with Android being not just the stronger platform and most ability to grow, but also the one with by far the largest footprint- 56% of US market vs 43% for iPhone and worldwide iPhone has under 15% of the market.

Always amazed at how blind people are to reality and caught in their own world. ;-)

dean_acheson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Boss 302, 2019 Bullitt
Thanks for finding that. Looks like it indeed is 1,000 watts. The subwoofer in the trunk looks bigger than the Shaker Pro though. As for Android Auto, they must have just not mentioned it for some reason, because all Sync3 systems come with both Apple CarPlay and Android Auto capability and it's been that way since the 2017 model year.

This quote in the link that AC53 provided is a bit odd. I wonder what they exactly are saying here? I hope that it's not piped in exhaust sound.

Customized to the car’s interior environment, sound engineers tuned the B&O PLAY audio system to take both the static and dynamic states of Mustang into account to elevate the senses regardless of driving conditions

AC53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alan
Vehicle(s)
I don't think there's anything to worry about from that perspective.

What sound engineers do, when they are doing it properly at the higher end, is part science and part black art.

They work with speaker type, size, placement, etc. This is done with the car not running and running, windows up and windows down, just the driver and with passengers, part-throttle and full-throttle, etc., etc.

Most of it is simulated until they get close to finalizing everything and then the art comes into play.

The algorithms that are needed to deal with adjusting 12 speakers dynamically as well as their timing so that the sound is right is extremely complex.
Sponsored