Sponsored

Best way to remove over-the-top stripes?

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
I have the factory over-the-top stripes, and a touchless extreme high pressure car wash stripped some of it off the front bumper and front of the hood. I am going to replace them to install new stripes, but don't know the best way to first completely remove the original ones.

Goo Gone? Something else? I don't want to do anything that might injure the factory paint job underneath, looking for best suggestions.

Thanks.
Sponsored

jimmybuffit

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 50th Year
I own a detailing shop and vinyl wrap. Use a heat gun..not a hair dryer and heat up the film as you start to peel. You will find a sweet spot where the film gets hot enough and releases from the paint and does not leave adhesive behind.

Too much heat the film will rip off in small pieces or melt, not enough heat and the film will be very hard to peel and leave adhesive behind. Not enough heat has more of a risk of peeling the paint up with it being that the adhesive is stronger.

Any left over adhesive, and there will be some no matter what, use goo gone or citrus based cleaner and dab on adhesive. Let sit for a moment then go back with more cleaner and delicately rub until the glue lifts off.

Follow up with a car wash. wax or polish to coat the paint as the cleaner tends to strip the paint.

OP
OP

GJarrett

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 EcoBoost Premium
Thanks - I guess my next tool is a heat gun (to replace the one I loaned out long ago before I learn not to loan out my tools).
Sponsored