Bumper Gap TSB from Ford

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Thanks for the post. I have not seen the TSB yet. I've heard about new tabs, but not the bulletin.

Sponsored

johnny1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Had new a 16 GT350 and 17 GT350
Even though you can see some of the tab on my Shelby my dealership service department said as many things involved with the TSB they wouldn't touch it or have there body shop they use do mine either. Your talking drilling, screws, rivet cutting with scissors trimming some of tab off etc. You would have thought Ford would have came up with a simple fix of complete different style brackets that would pull it up snug. My understanding on other forums the new brackets in the fix it kit are basically same as ones already on car.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Even though you can see some of the tab on my Shelby my dealership service department said as many things involved with the TSB they wouldn't touch it or have there body shop they use do mine either. Your talking drilling, screws, rivet cutting with scissors trimming some of tab off etc. You would have thought Ford would have came up with a simple fix of complete different style brackets that would pull it up snug. My understanding on other forums the new brackets in the fix it kit are basically same as ones already on car.
If you take the bumper cover off the car, you will see the problem isn’t the brackets but merely how they’re attached to the car.

This is reinforced by the concept that 95% mustangs leave the factor with decent panel gaps that deteriorate over time.

The hardware simply comes a loose. Some people have even stated that they did not have all screws in the brackets, which means quality was not “Job 1” at the factory.

The screws in my brackets were loose and not even finger tight. Since, I’ve added a lock washer under the screws at pivotal points (at least three to each side) and we shall see if they can help resist the NVH and prevent the screws from backing out.

I’d much rather take this chance than the one in the TSB... that’s garbage.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
IMO the problem is the shape of the panel, not the attachment method. The sides of the bumper cover interfere with the body of the car, which prevents the bumper cover from coming up completely flush in the back.

Patio208

GT350 Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT 500 #L2287
Just left my local dealer's body shop for another issue (broken emblem). I know a few guys in the body shop. He showed me a new car he just completed this TSB. I Must say it actually looked perfect. I know a lot of guys don't want the dealer doing anything to their car's but in my case they have always done good work. I might have this done.

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford

Sponsored

5.2 VooDoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Comp. Orange GT 350 - Born March 3rd - Arrrived March 14th
My dealer ordered the kit for me...they will farm out the work to a local body shop (provided they will accept the compensation, 1.7 hrs if I recall)...I’ve noticed the gap increase just over this winter. I can’t see it improving!

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Even my service writer was skeptical of it's effectiveness. I'm going to wait until the last minute before I do this TSB. I don't want to do permanent modifications to the bumper and later on find out it still doesn't fix the problem.
My service manager advised against it... said cutting tabs drilling holes in the car was a shady fix.

I’m happy with how my fix looks... gaps are better than new.

smsgt350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt350 magnetic/black tech
I am going to roll the dice on this one and will let you guys know how it turns out. Dealer is taking the car to the body shop they use this morning to follow the tsb using the ford kit.

Reactions: CSL

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
I wasnt aware of this tsb so thanks for that

rick81721

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 LB H6153
Anyone have pics of what they consider "bad" rear bumper gaps? Would like something visual to compare to and monitor as I put more miles on
Sponsored