Sponsored

2016 Tech Package Trans Cooler Question

bisonboy02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I am new to the GT350 as late last fall I purchased a 2016 with the tech package and have recently been reading that there has been problems with the car going into limp mode if the trans temperature gets too high due to no cooler.

I originally searched the dealers looking for a 5.0 but came cross this GT350 at which I figured was a good price ($50K Canadian or approx. $45K US). I called a dealer and got them to run the vin and there were no claims on the car. I definitely like the car better than the 5.0 and being a big guy I didn't fit the Recaro seats properly and the Tech seats just suited me better.

Is there any companies that sell a trans cooler kit for the Tech package or is a trans swap needed to gain the pump in the trans and then add the Ford cooler kit?

I never had the intention to track the car as I was originally was interested in the 5.0 Mustang, and just wanted a daily driver. Since I purchased it late fall I never had a change to really push the car or driver in warm weather.

Has there been any issues with the trans over heating as a daily driver in the city or highway? Should I be concerned about this or am I over reacting?

Thanks for any info or help
Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Very rare to have issues on the street. I track mine and therefore it was necessary to add a gear drive pump pump and FP cooler kit (original trans) for $1k. If I didn't go to the track then I wouldn't need the cooler for the trans. You can enable the trans temp gauge with the Forscan tool (see the Forscan thread) to monitor the trans temp and evaluate if your trans ever gets close to the limit.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the limp mode concerns. Should you experience an issue (very unlikely) its a relatively inexpensive fix.

OP
OP

bisonboy02

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Very rare to have issues on the street. I track mine and therefore it was necessary to add a gear drive pump pump and FP cooler kit (original trans) for $1k. If I didn't go to the track then I wouldn't need the cooler for the trans. You can enable the trans temp gauge with the Forscan tool (see the Forscan thread) to monitor the trans temp and evaluate if your trans ever gets close to the limit.

Enjoy the car and don't worry about the limp mode concerns. Should you experience an issue (very unlikely) its a relatively inexpensive fix.

What do you mean by installing a gear drive pump? Did you installing a internal pump to the original trans? Can this be done?
Also my buddy has a Ngauge, do you know if trans temp is available on the gauge?

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
If you're not going to track, then I doubt you will ever hit limp mode. If you do, then you can start looking for cooling. I DD'ed mine for almost 2 years and never hit limp mode until I took it to the track. Off track it was fine.

barstowpo

Witness Protection Prog
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gordon
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT350 Tech/Track hybrid, 2016 FPRS Car#17
I wouldn't worry about it unless you have issues. You can enable the trans temp gauge using the Forscan thread if you want to keep an eye on temps.

Sponsored

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
What do you mean by installing a gear drive pump? Did you installing a internal pump to the original trans? Can this be done?
Also my buddy has a Ngauge, do you know if trans temp is available on the gauge?
The gear drive pump is a standalone pump offered by RB Racing and not part of the transmission. I chose that one because it is designed for hot oil and I wanted something very reliable for on track use.
Search the Forscan thread for the trans temp. Everything is in place to display it on the cars gauge cluster but it just needs to be activated using the Forscan tool (Ngauge not needed).