Sponsored

2019 GT500 Mustang New Spy Video, Pics, Info

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
We've seen a trend from SVT/Ford Performance; they do come up with unique, outside-the-square, features and improvements.
Both GTs were awesome.
Trinity was and still is a sledgehammer. That engine in today's chassis would give the competition some headaches.
Then they broke the internet with Voodoo, and that is "only" the GT350.

"It has good bones". Think CPC voodoo pushing 8000rpm with direct injection. You won't need much boost to get to 800hp. What this means is there are many revs to play with, not snappy. Just a nice linear power curve that is easy manage.
Higher the rpm, the more belt slippage possible.

I can’t see the 5.2 revving higher than 7-7.5k. Which is still pretty damn high.

I just want to see if the 5.2 with be DI/PI.
Sponsored

Topnotch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mazda CX-9 Touring
If the price is in the 80’s they’re better of going after Porsche or Aston. Premium Musle without all the JC Whitney crap in it

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
If the price is in the 80’s they’re better of going after Porsche or Aston. Premium Musle without all the JC Whitney crap in it
What’re your thoughts?

So you have a starting $$ in mind?

Sounded like you didn’t figure it would be mid 80s.

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I'm thinking it will be in the mid 70's.
(Before ADM. :rant: lol)

Sponsored

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Well if they don’t do something it’ll be a ZL1 on roids mixed with a HC and on street tires won’t run lower then 10.5 I don’t think. Just an auto trans doesn’t solve all traction issues. I hope they have something that proves to help put power down.
If this is true
Your grandma could do high 10’s in this car. Next day, take it out to Grattan and destroy a GT350. Yup.
10.9 for grandma tells me this car will have potential. Motor trend managed a 11. on a prepped track with the demon in many tries.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...odge-challenger-srt-demon-first-drive-review/

The street is another story entirely, so hopefully there is some magic involved.
This car even with that wing should be a 200+MPH car fairly easily.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I'm thinking it will be in the mid 70's.
(Before ADM. :rant: lol)
The 14 GT500 MSRP was 70k loaded with the glass roof.
Sure hope ford doesn't skimp on it and load it with JC Whitney parts either.
If it's simply blown GT pp2 with 800 HP it's a 67k car, but even then i would want to do engine work to feel safe at that power level, that would probably be an extra 8k to build the motor for boost, minimum. 75k right there.
Add: 5.2 exclusive engine, supporting coolers for tracking, body panels, aero, tires/rim upgrade to carbon fiber, weight reduction carbon fiber drive shaft, springs, upgraded brakes, performance tuned chassis for power level, possibly special lightweight exhaust.

Out of these things, what would you want to give up in order to get it down to mid 70s?
I think if they offer the carbon rims as a package it could possibly start high 70s, like maybe 79k.

I'm all for a inexpensive vehicle, just not short changed and cheap. Id prefer the bean counters to say OK to a $1,000 part or assembly that even makes a small difference than skimping and then annoying me later, having me thinking why the hell didn't they include it.
Maybe a roll bar is standard, maybe an option?
This is something the 350R should have came standard with for 1k more or so, also the tow hooks...
This next one better come with those, at least locations designated for easy access and install.
I suppose this one will not come in a vert?

Last edited:

ttime500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Corvette Z06
If this is true

10.9 for grandma tells me this car will have potential. Motor trend managed a 11. on a prepped track with the demon in many tries.
http://www.motortrend.com/cars/dodg...odge-challenger-srt-demon-first-drive-review/

The street is another story entirely, so hopefully there is some magic involved.
This car even with that wing should be a 200+MPH car fairly easily.
I would love that to be true, it’s just very hard for cars in factory form with RWD to run sub 10.5. There’s only like a handful of cars that do even with AWD. I’m basing it on mag testing though as it’s consistently done. Obviously hero runs and tracks make a difference. Do you think the mag time will be sub 10.5?

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
If it’s gonna be more of a track car, will carbon fiber wheels be an option or standard, carbon composite springs, probably a carbon fiber drive shaft...
Anything else you guys think we’ll see for weight reduction?
A reasonable list to start with. I think consideration could be given to the following as well.

GM has been using aluminum structural members (Camaro, for example) where Ford continues to use steel. I suppose at this point Ford may be ready to leapfrog straight to carbon fiber. It would make sense since the GT350 kicked it off with a CF GOR. I'd expect a similar piece in the upcoming GT500 as well.

cq5dam.web.16-9.12.jpg

Ford has been working with Magna/BASF on a CFRP subframe, which could be potentially be used in the front, rear, or both.

Magna-frame-diagram.jpg

ford_100596255_m.jpg

Prototype subframes made in-house by Magna are now undergoing component and vehicle-level testing at Ford. In a press event at the show, Magna Exteriors president Grahame Burrow explained that this subframe will be vehicle tested on a segment lead vehicle, but has not yet been attached to a specific model.

The subframe is made from EpicBlend sheet molding compound (SMC) which is compounded by Magna using chopped 50K carbon fiber tow from Zoltek (Bridgeton, MO, US) and vinylester resin modified in-house. Burrow says the vinylester gives good adhesion to the carbon fiber and also wets out the fiber well. The short-fiber SMC allows molding complex geometry, for example SMC overmolded steel inserts for body mounts and front points. Areas of high loading are reinforced locally with patches made from continuous fiber SMC, co-molded to the chopped fiber compound. The continuous fiber SMC is made using 6 plies of 0-90 noncrimp fabric and oriented as determined by CAD analysis using Fibersim from Siemens PLC (Waltham, MA, US). The oriented SMC is used only at high load points, for example, where the engine is attached and side areas where compressive and shear loads are at a maximum. The combination of the two SMC materials cuts 9.3 kg, a 34% reduction in mass, vs. a stamped steel subframe.
zIMG_0701.jpg

Seat frames look to be another potential weight reduction candidate as well.

BASF_Automotive_Lightweight-Plastic_Lincoln-Continental-Seat-Pan.png

BASF, a long-time strategic partner of Ford, leveraged its material and technical expertise to lightweight and optimize the design of the Lincoln Continental seat pan and exceed crash safety standards. The seating system as a whole was lightweighted by eight percent, but BASF contributed to a 20 percent weight reduction for the seat pan when compared to its metal predecessor. The project also resulted in a 15 percent cost savings.

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
I would love that to be true, it’s just very hard for cars in factory form with RWD to run sub 10.5. There’s only like a handful of cars that do even with AWD. I’m basing it on mag testing though as it’s consistently done. Obviously hero runs and tracks make a difference. Do you think the mag time will be sub 10.5?
No, but I’m expecting hero runs below that. Mags probably get it to 10.8 area stock. Not a lot of cars come with 800+ hp, it’s no doubt that with the power to weight of this car, low 10’s are possible. What I’ve seen with hero runs, they usually get there eventually. If grandma can get high 10s with this car, I would think a mag driver in less than 90 degree heat should be able to.

A reasonable list to start with. I think consideration could be given to the following as well.

GM has been using aluminum structural members (Camaro, for example) where Ford continues to use steel. I suppose at this point Ford may be ready to leapfrog straight to carbon fiber.

Ford has been working with Magna/BASF on a CFRP subframe, which could be potentially be used in the front, rear, or both.
I’m excited to see where else they implement Carbon composite to lighten as well as strengthen areas. I would think whatever they make in carbon composite they would want it to be able to transfer to the S650, to spread cost. I read somewhere about the S650 and there was hardly a difference in size from the S550. Thanks for sharing the info.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302

GM has been using aluminum structural members (Camaro, for example) where Ford continues to use steel. I suppose at this point Ford may be ready to leapfrog straight to carbon fiber. It would make sense since the GT350 kicked it off with a CF GOR. I'd expect a similar piece in the upcoming GT500 as well.

cq5dam.web.16-9.12.jpg

Magna-frame-diagram.jpg

ford_100596255_m.jpg

zIMG_0701.jpg

Seat frames look to be another potential weight reduced tion candidate as well.

Look back about 75 or so pages... I called out this exact method to be used for lightweighting and was booed out the door.

People thinking in small boxes... glad you think outside them as well [MENTION=19066]Epiphany[/MENTION]!:cheers:

Last edited:

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
This is more of a composite and with the vinyl property I’d thing it would have some flex properties

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase

cq5dam.web.16-9.12.jpg

Magna-frame-diagram.jpg

ford_100596255_m.jpg

zIMG_0701.jpg

Seat frames look to be another potential weight reduction candidate as well.

What how you drive it
https://jalopnik.com/heres-how-a-corvette-was-totaled-because-of-one-inch-of-1806727930

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Was said it won’t be unveiled in Detroit at the NAIAS.. How much sooner or later do we hear...hmmm
Is ford going to all of a sudden drop it may and say it’s for sale the following week to keep gt 350 sales coming in to the end of the ‘18 MY. Many dealers are sitting with '17 GT350s in their showrooms for MSRP, let alone the '18s with no changes.
'19 MY is said to start in June.
Sponsored

Last edited: