Sponsored

Oil Consumption and Gas Millage

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
A thread the other day on gas millage got me to thinking. It seems my MPG is on the low side compared to some. I am a hair over 5,000 miles and the lifetime average MPG is about 13.1. No track days and maybe 500 miles of road trips over 100 miles during that time. Even on the road trips I never average as high as some have reported.

My Shelby is burning about one quart of oil per 750 miles. I was wondering if the individuals that are reporting 18-21 MPG on road trips and 15 around town, does your Voodoo burn oil like mine?

Is there a correlation between oil consumption and lower MPG or is it 100% contributed to me driving the car wide open all of the time?

I am aware of the theory that driving the car in the style I do contributes to oil consumption being higher than those that drive in a less aggressive manor than I but is burning oil reducing my MPG?
Sponsored

GTthree50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Magnetic Grey 2017 GT350
My oil consumption is on the lower side, about 1/4 qt per 1000. My gas mileage is close to yours. I get between 13.9-14-1 per tank. Lifetime average is sitting right at 14. I do need to check my catch can but have not been overly concerned with it due to my low oil consumption.

The_Dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I got 25mpg on a road trip and with 2k miles on the car, to oil level is still at the full mark.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
A thread the other day on gas millage got me to thinking. It seems my MPG is on the low side compared to some. I am a hair over 5,000 miles and the lifetime average MPG is about 13.1. No track days and maybe 500 miles of road trips over 100 miles during that time. Even on the road trips I never average as high as some have reported.

My Shelby is burning about one quart of oil per 750 miles. I was wondering if the individuals that are reporting 18-21 MPG on road trips and 15 around town, does your Voodoo burn oil like mine?

Is there a correlation between oil consumption and lower MPG or is it 100% contributed to me driving the car wide open all of the time?

I am aware of the theory that driving the car in the style I do contributes to oil consumption being higher than those that drive in a less aggressive manor than I but is burning oil reducing my MPG?
This is an interesting concept, and with good data I would bet you will see some correlation, not sure how you would acquire such accurate data.
My oil consumption is about 1/4 quart maximum per 1000 miles and I average 17-18 MPG daily driving, 50% highway miles, 50% around town.

JAJ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I don't think we'll find much of a correlation - I get the lowest oil consumption when I'm at the track. I burn more oil picking up groceries than I do running flat-out on a straightaway.

Sponsored

Yo Nadz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Just did my first oil change. 1060 miles on the clock. Took it easy the first 250 miles. A little more spirited for the rest, but always shifting before 7K. Sitting a quart low. I emptied about an ounce twice from the catch can in those 1000 miles.

Hoping that the new oil and fact that the engine is "broke in" now will lower my consumption.

On another note, my canister filter had ZERO metal in it that I could see. Pretty happy about that.

torque124

Torque
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby GT350R
Vehicle Showcase
Just did my first oil change. 1060 miles on the clock. Took it easy the first 250 miles. A little more spirited for the rest, but always shifting before 7K. Sitting a quart low. I emptied about an ounce twice from the catch can in those 1000 miles.

Hoping that the new oil and fact that the engine is "broke in" now will lower my consumption.

On another note, my canister filter had ZERO metal in it that I could see. Pretty happy about that.
Did you cut the filter in half ? Only way you can see it, it traps on the inside.

jamesb1986

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
The best MPG I got was on a 600 mile trip and I hit 19 overall. I drive this as my daily and without doing commutes I get out at least 4 or 5 times a week with each journey an average of 10 miles, doing this I get about 11 or 12.

I certainly don't have the most economical driving habits when I drive this car, for obvious reasons, but I reckon on the daily basis I describe above the best you could hope for (if driving with this in mind) would be an avg of about 15. Obviously on the long trips and if you do a lot of highway you can get closer to 20.

My oil consumption was a little higher for the first 3 thousand miles or so but since then it has settled to about half a qt every thousand miles (current mileage is 7k).

The numbers you mention seem totally normal and I bet that higher oil consumption does go hand in hand with lower mpg just simply by the driving habits that usually go with both.
Sponsored