Sponsored

New GT v a used GT500?

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
I just couldn't imagine knowing you'd be losing 10k immediately if you bought new loaded GT. Resale LOL.

If you're ok with burning that stack of cash, I'd buy new. I'd be buying the warranted Roush one though...
Sponsored

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst
^ Roush resale value plummets worse than the GT. Nothing like spending near GT500 money (and some cases MORE), then selling for near Mustang GT prices.

Competition Orange

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
^ Roush resale value plummets worse than the GT. Nothing like spending near GT500 money (and some cases MORE), then selling for near Mustang GT prices.
Understood, just saying if you're ok with burning ridiculous amounts of money, might as well get a warranty with it ;)

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
I also cross shopped convertible GT500s, first 11/12 (5.4/550), then the 13/14 (5.8/662) vs. a new convertible GT.

When the convertible got the PP option, that was a big plus.

Looks are subjective, but I prefer the S550 way more than previous generation Mustangs.

Interior, the 6G is _much_ better, features, electronics, etc.

The GT500 is clearly faster, but I was really concerned when I found out the costs of Trinity motor, in the event of a catastrophic failure (vs. the Coyote). I also know I wouldn't/couldn't leave it stock.

At the time I bought my '16 last year, my loaded GT convertible (PP, ACC, Sync3, Nav, Shaker 12 speaker, Redline interior) was a good $10K-12K less than a GT500 and there was nearly free money on a new car purchase.

I'm extremely happy, and I'd make the same decision again.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
The GT500 is clearly faster, but I was really concerned when I found out the costs of Trinity motor, in the event of a catastrophic failure (vs. the Coyote). I also know I wouldn't/couldn't leave it stock.
600 something HP isn't enough and you couldn't leave it stock? Really? :eyebulge:

Sponsored

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
It's really hard to keep anything stock. :lol:
I have the same problem - I have not even decided which car yet (my goal is to make the final decision by Feb 15th - I should have my tax refund by then) yet I already know I will need the Ford Racing axle back for the GT500 and the Magnaflow Competition for the GT. I do have an illness, but with the GT500, I will be able to avoid the huge expense as the 662hp is pretty much enough for a cruiser for the wife and I (this is not to say that I have not already priced roll bars to allow me to run it at Summit point and MIR).

I am not a huge Roush fan, I would buyone if it were a great deal for the year i want, but i would much rather have a Shelby than a Roush IMHO.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I can sure see getting better brakes or tires/wheels to try to hook up better. Even suspension goodies. But adding more power would be the last mod I would look at when the car makes so much already.

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
227 hp is negligible. Maybe on Mars. The trinity motor in the 14 GT500 with PP and TP will beat a 15 GT PP @ Vir by more then 5 seconds a lap.
With a upgraded break lines you can shave another .005 off the Vir lap times. Forget about accelerating numbers. No contest. 11.5 vs 12.7.
Where is the factual information to back this claim up? 5 seconds a lap? lap after lap, huh? I see the C&D lightning laptimes and the 2013 GT500 ran 3:00 and the '15GTPP ran 3:05. No way that 5 seconds is maintained lap after lap...just my observation.

I feel pretty sure the brakes on the GT500 became mush after one lap running it hard? I believe that is what Randy P. said in one of his test videos again the ZL1

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
Considered a used 2013 GT500 when I was looking at the new 2015 Mustang GTPP. 2015 GTPP handled better, also better interior. GT500 sounded great and was quick in stock form vs the 15 GTPP. Was going to mod either way, coyote was much more reliable from what Iooked into when you start throwing bolt ons in the mix. Coyote responds well to power adders and bolt ons. Bolt on coyotes walk stock GT500's without power adders like fi or cams. Plus it was new vs used. I loved to GT500 but for me I wanted to build it to my liking so I choose the GTPP.

Sponsored

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Where is the factual information to back this claim up? 5 seconds a lap? lap after lap, huh? I see the C&D lightning laptimes and the 2013 GT500 ran 3:00 and the '15GTPP ran 3:05. No way that 5 seconds is maintained lap after lap...just my observation.

I feel pretty sure the brakes on the GT500 became mush after one lap running it hard? I believe that is what Randy P. said in one of his test videos again the ZL1
Yep. And let's not forget heatsoak.

The stock heat exchangers on GT500s are woefully inadequate for continuous hard use, especially on earlier cars....

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
600 something HP isn't enough and you couldn't leave it stock? Really? :eyebulge:
:D

Well, with factory FI being so _super_ easy and cheap to get another 75+ with just a bolt-on/tune, yeah, that itch would be hard to avoid.

Eventually I'll wind up in the same place with my GT, though the FI will of course be aftermarket - but then I'll have the same power, much lower costs if an issue does come up, and in a better looking car, with more conveniences.

Just my $0.02 :thumbsup:

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
For the money I put into this one I should've gone GT500 5.8. Take that route and live in the glory of that monster.

venumous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16' Procharged GT
Considered a used 2013 GT500 when I was looking at the new 2015 Mustang GTPP. 2015 GTPP handled better, also better interior. GT500 sounded great and was quick in stock form vs the 15 GTPP. Was going to mod either way, coyote was much more reliable from what Iooked into when you start throwing bolt ons in the mix. Coyote responds well to power adders and bolt ons. Bolt on coyotes walk stock GT500's without power adders like fi or cams. Plus it was new vs used. I loved to GT500 but for me I wanted to build it to my liking so I choose the GTPP.
Yeah... no.

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
I traded in my 2014 GT500 for my 2016 GT/PP and haven't looked back. The interior and handling are much improved and I was never really able to use all of the power that the GT500 afforded me. This thing is a blast to drive. In 18 months I put 2,600 miles on the GT500. Honestly it just wasn't fun. The power was nice, but I felt like I was driving a museum piece. In 7 months of owning the '16 I am approaching 7K miles. I drive it every chance I get.

Then with the mods I had, I was always scared of windowing the block. I don't have $10-$20K laying around for a rebuild. The GT is a much more affordable..oh shit! kind of car.
Sponsored