Sponsored

*MT-82 upgraded* but what does it mean ?

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
Twin-disc clutch clutch and dual-mass flywheel ?!?!?!?!?!?!

Driven the Ecoboost and GT with an MT-82 but I wasn't really exited for it's characteristics, felt a bit sluggish, heavy and unpleasant but if anything it was very capable doubt you would have any worries ever breaking it.

What would these upgrades change about the characteristics of the MT-82 ?
Sponsored

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
I don't think we will know the true mechanical details and how they translate to real-world performance until someone actually gets their hands on one.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT
Yes, the car is heavy. But sluggish? Unpleasant? You sure you don't need a driver mod?

scott_0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
the MT82 in my 2011 GT was the best shifting manual I've ever driven, BUT once you wanted to go full bore, balls to wall, high rpm shifts, it wilted like an old flower, not sure where you're getting the MT82 feels sluggish, but ok

Sponsored

texasboy21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP. 2005.5 Audi A4, 1983 Silverado
I feel like the MT82 hate is overplayed and blown way out of proportion.

In very high HP and/or high revving applications there are some issues, but for regular/spirited/basic-modification levels of performance it doesnt have any issues.

DickR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ruby Red GTPP MagneRide 301A 10A and 1997 GT
What manual transmissions have you guys driven in high power cars which shift better? Are the Tremecs better? The Corvette transmission? What other's are there not counting $$$$ dollar high power imports?

Just curious since my experience is limited to various generations of Mustang's.

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
I don't think we will know the true mechanical details and how they translate to real-world performance until someone actually gets their hands on one.
Suppose you are right

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
What manual transmissions have you guys driven in high power cars which shift better? Are the Tremecs better? The Corvette transmission? What other's are there not counting $$$$ dollar high power imports?

Just curious since my experience is limited to various generations of Mustang's.
GT350 TR3160 is a great shifting trans. Very positive feeling. Any direct shift no remote linkage T56 or derivative feels awesome. Corvette transaxle transmissions are a bit sloppy but stout...usually. A LOT of C5 Z06's are being autocrossed and raced in SCCA right now and their transmissions are giving up 3rd gear and reverse at a scary pace. 3 in my SCCA region in one week alone. The trans in the S2000 is a dream.

People who right out complain about the MT82 without any frame of reference really need one. Two characters: T5. Done and done.

OP
OP
Double

Double

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Ruby Red A10
Vehicle Showcase
People who right out complain about the MT82 without any frame of reference really need one. Two characters: T5. Done and done.
If you do not like the MT-82 experiencing a worse transmissions isn't going to make it any better right ?

MT-82 fits with a Mustang I guess but not the more modern S550. That's why I wonder if the upgraded MT-82 is good enough for the 2018 5.0 if you know what I mean.

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
If you do not like the MT-82 experiencing a worse transmissions isn't going to make it any better right ?

MT-82 fits with a Mustang I guess but not the more modern S550. That's why I wonder if the upgraded MT-82 is good enough for the 2018 5.0 if you know what I mean.
giphy.gif

Rustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rustan
Vehicle(s)
LB '17 GT Premium PP
I feel like the MT82 hate is overplayed and blown way out of proportion.
Agreed, I drove an '03 Cobra for years with the T56 and MGW and feel the current MT82 shifts no worse. I think some just need some perspective on what a junk transmission really is. Also sure it's going to have issues if you throw a bunch of extra power through it because it wasn't designed to handle it so I don't really understand the surprise with that. I've heard of plenty of autos breaking stuff too on high power applications as well but don't seem to hear the same hate from that group. I think the early MT82's earned a bad reputation that it will likely never shed and the best thing Ford could do for it would be to change the name to MT84 or something.

JeffreyDJ

Jedi
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JJ
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT
I think the early MT82's earned a bad reputation that it will likely never shed and the best thing Ford could do for it would be to change the name to MT84 or something.
This specifically. :thumbsup:

I've had one in both my EB and my GT and they're not bad at all. I'm also not sure what "sluggish, heavy and unpleasant" mean in relation to the MT-82. They seem to be none of things to me. I've driven my fait share of manuals and I do not mind the the MT-82 at all.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
MGW + BG Syncroshift II and I doubt you'd have any complaints about it. Super slick, smooth, and precise.
Sponsored