Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
So for all the guys who dislike black wheels, do you feel the same way about gunmetal or a dark grey? I'm curious is the dislike just black wheels, or all painted wheels?

Painted vs polished / chrome definitely presents each car differently
I'm cool with gunmetal or gray. To me, all-black wheels morph with the tires and become a dark hole in the wheelwell.

:shrug:
Sponsored

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
To me, all-black wheels morph with the tires and become a dark hole in the wheelwell.

:shrug:

This. They just disappear in anything other than direct light.

JohnK

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Ruby Red
I'm OK with gunmetal wheels, with the right body color. I agree with Strokerswild - black wheels blend in with the tires. I like the wheels to be an accent against the car color.

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
Same here. I like contrast. My 15 Mustang was my first foray into painted with the Foundry wheels. These are the wheels on my post-Mustang ride. They're black but with bright machined face. Its a hell of a contrast.
wheel.jpg

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
For me, all it takes is a machined lip.

My wife's VW got a set of these a few years ago when the local tire shop mangled the hell out of the OEM wheels. The wheel lip and bright lugs set it off for me. I would never have picked them if they would have been all-black.
product_photo1_1403071711.jpg

Sponsored

ford20

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sean
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE On Order / 2012 Boss 302 Laguna Seca
As are black wheels

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I'm 44. I have a 350R and I do like the wheels black on the car but might have been ok with a gunmetal or silver.... I've always liked to see the contrast between wheel and tire. Polished/chrome, never been a fan. Usually prefer powdercoated. I also like powdercoated centers with polished lip like 3 piece forgeline...only way I like polished anything.

http://93coupe.com/wheels-are-back/

15Pony

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6
The S197 Mustang had wheels with machined/polished rims and those were gorgeous. High maintenance though, because the balancing weights were clipped on and it was impossible to get them off without scratching the rim! Thankfully today most wheels have the stick-on weights inside.

Sponsored

nrc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang EB PP
Count me as a fan (56). I liked them long before it was a trend. I loved them from having seen them on various road racing cars from as far back as the '80s. I still like them but I agree that they're getting a bit old.

They still look great against bright solid colors, but if I were going metallic I'd go with a metallic finish wheel.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
Wow that's by a mile the stupidest video featuring the 2018 Mustang I have seen yet :doh:
Ehh... they're not even building a 2018, it's a 2017