GT PP in Austin TX

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
I have been lurking here for over a year now and can't get the new mustang out of my mind so I went and got pre-approvals with Navy Fed and USAA last night. I am in the Austin TX area and looking for any advice. I am familiar with Riata Ford and Leif Johnson Ford is the best price on USAA's car buying service for this area short of any negotiations.

I am probably going to have to order and soon with paint options going away, but I am looking for...
GP Premium PP
Deep Impact Blue but might settle for Magnetic
Ebony racing stripe
401A
Enhanced Security Package
Premier trim
Nav
Undecided on Aeroskin hood protector and Reverse sensing system

If you have any advice for me on dealers to stay away from, or perhaps one in San Antonio, Houston or Dallas I should be considering. Or anything else for that matter, lay it on me. Planning on visiting Leif Johnson Ford later today to see what they can offer me.
Sponsored

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Start making some phone calls to dealers & then sending out e-mails to get the negotiations started. Also, did you get the $750 coupon from the Ford brochure or the EAA membership?

Reverse sensing is a waste imo - just beeps when you get closer to something. The rear view backup camera works just fine...

Childs Play

But Wait! There's More!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hyundai Shitbox
I have been lurking here for over a year now and can't get the new mustang out of my mind so I went and got pre-approvals with Navy Fed and USAA last night. I am in the Austin TX area and looking for any advice. I am familiar with Riata Ford and Leif Johnson Ford is the best price on USAA's car buying service for this area short of any negotiations.

I am probably going to have to order and soon with paint options going away, but I am looking for...
GP Premium PP
Deep Impact Blue but might settle for Magnetic
Ebony racing stripe
401A
Enhanced Security Package
Premier trim
Nav
Undecided on Aeroskin hood protector and Reverse sensing system

If you have any advice for me on dealers to stay away from, or perhaps one in San Antonio, Houston or Dallas I should be considering. Or anything else for that matter, lay it on me. Planning on visiting Leif Johnson Ford later today to see what they can offer me.
Best thing to do is to get a few dealers involved and basically have them fight with each other to get the lowest price out the door. When one comes back with a price say, oh well another dealership offered me this price. Can you beat it? Some will say, oh we don't compete against other dealerships. That's dealer talk for, we don't want to sell you a car for a decent price. Avoid those.

That's what I've always done. Shopping around and making dealers work for you always helps you win in the end. :thumbsup:

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Reverse sensing in a car you can't really see out the back of (relative to, say, a VW Passat or Toyota Camry or something) is huge, even with a backup camera. IMO it is safer than depending on a backup camera. Just my luck, there's always some "lawsuit causer" behind my when I back up trying to get me to bump them and sue me later. Welcome to Atlanta. But anyway, I like to have my heard turned back to see everything, have the camera to see when I can't see around a truck or something, and the beepers to help me back into my spot at work which has a concrete wall on two sides and I like to get really close so careless a-holes don't ding my cars.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I bought my GT PP from Christine Lewis at Covert Ford on Research in the north part of town.

Working with Christine was about as drama free of a production as any car buying experience I've had. No problems negotiating for a good price. I'd buy another from her if I was in the market.

Some sort of clear bumper protection isn't a bad idea, but that aero thing doesn't look very attractive and doesn't protect the spots where I'm getting the most bugs and rocks.

In a couple months of ownership the remote sensing hasn't saved me from anything the backup camera didn't already have covered. I don't mind the beeping, but I'm not sure its much help. I sort of wish it was on the front of the car though.

FWIW, there's a decent tint place across the street from Covert that the dealership uses for it's mustangs. They did my car after the sale and obviously have done quite a few 'stangs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
I do not have the $750 coupon but just ordered a brochure from Ford. EAA looks like I need to be a member for 60 days before being eligible. I did decide against the hood protector and reverse system.

I did go to the Leif Johnson Ford to get stuff started. Nothing on the lot that worked for me and they did come close with other local inventory but they don't seem to have an issue with ordering a car with exactly what I want. The price feels a bit high. $43250 market value and $43710.38 out the door which includes $399 gap that not getting through the dealer and $497 Lojack which I had planned on but I actually like the dealer price on.

My gut feeling is I should be closer to $40-41,000 out the door with some more negotiating and emailing other dealers.

Last edited:
OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
Yes, $43250 is MSRP and the same price as Ford's website. They did leave off the premier ebony trim so I need to add back in $395 which cancels out the $400 gap insurance that I will get through USAA for a bit less. So perhaps $43710 out the door is a bit more reasonable than I was thinking. One of the things I have been struggling with is determining where I should be on a target price for negotiations. Perhaps I will go wave some cash at them tomorrow for a deposit and see how hard they want to work.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
I bought my GT PP from Christine Lewis at Covert Ford on Research in the north part of town.

Working with Christine was about as drama free of a production as any car buying experience I've had. No problems negotiating for a good price. I'd buy another from her if I was in the market.

Some sort of clear bumper protection isn't a bad idea, but that aero thing doesn't look very attractive and doesn't protect the spots where I'm getting the most bugs and rocks.

In a couple months of ownership the remote sensing hasn't saved me from anything the backup camera didn't already have covered. I don't mind the beeping, but I'm not sure its much help. I sort of wish it was on the front of the car though.

FWIW, there's a decent tint place across the street from Covert that the dealership uses for it's mustangs. They did my car after the sale and obviously have done quite a few 'stangs.
Christine at Covert ordered my car. It was about as pleasant a car buying experience as I've ever had.

MSRP on Ruby was $43,185. My out the door price was a little less than $39k. This was when the 6Gs had not even been released and interest and demand was running high.

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
Well, that's two for Covert Ford and your out the door is more in line with what I would like to see. BeauxXL1200 did you have any coupons that helped you get that price or was it all negotiations?

Covert isn't open for sales on Saturday but I am about to fire off an email to them.

BeauxXL1200

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ralph
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP Ruby Red
Well, that's two for Covert Ford and your out the door is more in line with what I would like to see. BeauxXL1200 did you have any coupons that helped you get that price or was it all negotiations?

Covert isn't open for sales on Saturday but I am about to fire off an email to them.
No coupons, but when I went in to pick up the car and complete the paperwork on 11/19/14, Ford had just instituted a $500 Black Friday rebate. So I got that too.

I was pretty happy and went ahead and rolled in the FR Touring Cat Backs, which I probably paid too much for. I think it was around $1,400 for the cats, but Covert also installed them. I had to wait a few weeks for them to come in, but was, and still am, happy with the result. They're perfect for me. More aggressive than stock, but I'm not making my neighbors too mad. :D

I would certainly talk to Christine to see what she can do as far as pricing on what you're looking for.

Happy shopping. And you're gonna love your new Stang. :cheers:

Sponsored
OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
I think the stang will actually be the quietest vehicle I own, it will definitely be the best mileage of all the vehicles I own. Plus I will get to say I am being patriotic with one red, one white and one blue Ford parked in my driveway. :D

Now I just need to manage to keep my cool and get the price down a bit before handing over the loan check.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
When I'm ready to get a Mustang GT Premium in Lightning Blue probably with PP and 401A, here is my gameplan:

1. Email 3-4 dealerships at once.
2. I have $34000 to $35000 (pick one) cash, who can get me this exact car? (This worked out perfect for my brother in law trying to get a Challenger R/T)
3. Let the fighting begin.

Make them do the work for you. I've seen this same car priced around 36-38k, but I think with enough negotiating, you can get 35k or maybe even lower. Try to buy it during February because the price is only going up when March hits because of tax season.

Don't forget to mention you can easily go into a Chevy dealership and grab a brand spanking new 2016 Camaro SS. I'm honestly glad Chevy is killing it with that car so it will make it easier to get in a Mustang for me.

Fasstang

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ITGUY
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EBPP
I truly recommend you to check it out this dealer in Dallas...is worth the drive, and if you go for the dealer that I specifically recommend and buy from the salesman called JC, you will be extremely happy and don't be afraid to ask for things, like a nice hat and etc...after you got all in paper.

http://www.fivestarfordofplano.com

Don't worry about finding the car coming with the stripes because it's hard to find and they charge like $850 for that. If ou come this way, just drive to Fort Worth and go to
Www.Bigwormgraphix.net and you will pay less than half, for better quality and 2 hrs of your time.
Just say my name in both and say that I truly recommended both, and get a 5% off from the stripes just for mention that you are part of this forum and Emerson sent you there.

OP
OP

DigitalPackrat

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
5.0 Mustang
So it turns out I have no patience. I went back in, got the Ford gap insurance removed and the premier trim added which brought MSRP to $43645. I tried to get him to go for $41000 out the door but it didn't fly. Ended up almost $1000 less than the original price so I will be $42750 out the door with the $500 lojack install included. I gave him a $500 deposit on a credit card just in case and the order should be placed Monday.

On a side note, does anyone know what happened to the posts by mustang1? His stood out to me because it was an account registered the day I started this thread, all of his posts were in this thread at the time, his posts made it sound like I should accept the first price I was quoted and that I should ask for someone named Leo at the dealer I was using. It may be nothing but it threw a few flags for me.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
mustang1 got shy about posting pricing data here and deleted his two postings and didn't expect to be missed :eek:

I was just throwing out some data based on when I was car shopping, which may or may not be the relevant today. If I remember correctly, 42.5 out the door seems like a reasonably good deal for your requirements, using the lowest prices I saw at Covert Ford as the baseline on a no-options Premium PP, and then layering on your options and TTL.

But to be absolutely sure you would have to dig, and that usually involves competitive bidding. Whether that works on custom orders, I don't know. I bought off the (Leif Johnson) lot, and got what I perceived to be a good deal. If you want, you can PM me
Sponsored