Sponsored

My New Mustang and Word of Advice

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
Last week, I picked up a birthday present in the form of a new 15 Mustang GT Premium in DIB. I love the car. Love the way it looks, drives and performs but Ford needs to do better on the QC on these cars. I know there are threads on this but I wanted to add my voice to the others and really advise all current owners of these 15's and all prospective buyers to really take time to look over the body on these cars. I thought I took enough time but I didn't. When I test drove the car, it was getting late in the day and I missed some things that I am now having to address. When I washed and waxed the car a few days after I bought it and was cleaning the rims, I noticed a good sized scratched area right at the lip of the drivers side rim. Looked like someone ate a curb up. The dealer has replaced that for me. So I am good there. But, here is the worst one. Yesterday, I opened the passenger door and heard a squeak. When I investigated, I saw that the door when opening was making contact with the foam packing in the fender. When I looked even closer, I saw that the door when opening was actually making light contact with the front fender, close to the top of the door. There was a small area of paint missing from where the contact was. So now, the car is in the body shop as we speak to have this alignment issue fixed and to get the chip fixed. I have looked the car over good now and as far as I can tell, this fix will have me in good shape, but check your cars carefully guys. And, realize that some things are easy to miss. I would encourage everyone to especially check their doors to make sure that when opening the door they have complete clearance between the door and fender top to bottom. Mine was only in a small spot but it was still rubbing and chipping the paint.
Sponsored

VTECSAUCE

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB PP GT w/ RECARO's & ITR swapped '94 hatch
I noticed scratches on my wheels too. As if I lightly curbed them but only got through the paint. I thought maybe I did it myself but I haven't the slightest clue where I would have done it. I have had the car for 6 months now, so doubtful Ford will cover it at this point.

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Sad that you all are having to deal with this. It's so inconsistent. My early Job 2 car (October 28 build date) is absolutely perfect, not a flaw on it. And yet we are still seeing things like this on cars built six months later. I don't get it. The UAW obviously knows how to build them right, and Ford employs QC people who are supposed to catch the screw-ups. So why are they building them wrong, and why are the screw-ups getting through the system? Reminds me of the bad old days in the '70s. I hope Ford doesn't have to learn those lessons all over again. Remember, Quality is Job 1!

simple06

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Magnetic
Yes, look them over very well.

I love my 2015 but this, my 7th new car, has a few little issues that I had not encountered in previous cars.

MustangS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
'15 Vert GT
Mine had the same issue with the passenger door. It appears to me that the dealer had the door adjusted before I took delivery because the door opened and closed fine when I inspected it. (I knew about this potential problem ahead of time so i made sure to check it).

I noticed the chipped paint, though. They offered to have that fixed but I declined because it was so tiny and i wanted my car already. I had been waiting over 18 months for a Mustang and COULD NOT wait any longer :D so I asked for touch up paint and fixed it myself.

Sponsored

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
Sad that you all are having to deal with this. It's so inconsistent. My early Job 2 car (October 28 build date) is absolutely perfect, not a flaw on it. And yet we are still seeing things like this on cars built six months later. I don't get it. The UAW obviously knows how to build them right, and Ford employs QC people who are supposed to catch the screw-ups. So why are they building them wrong, and why are the screw-ups getting through the system? Reminds me of the bad old days in the '70s. I hope Ford doesn't have to learn those lessons all over again. Remember, Quality is Job 1!
I agree with this 10000000%. Mine was built September 29th, 2014, and there is not a single issue that i can see with the body, engine, transimission, electronics.. This site has caused me to look and listen very very very carefully. none of it exists with my car.

I do sympathize with those who are having issues. it stinks that people have to deal with these troubled on a brand new car. i do wish you all the best in resolution.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Luck of the draw, some have no issues, some do, while others don't really care the issues are really there and live with it. Let's not forget, the few that have an issue but have no idea is there until someone points it out.
It is what it is, but this is the only car I've ever heard of having so many QC issues from the get go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
Luck of the draw, some have no issues, some do, while others don't really care the issues are really there and live with it. Let's not forget, the few that have an issue but have no idea is there until someone points it out.
It is what it is, but this is the only car I've ever heard of having so many QC issues from the get go.

There are over 100k cars sold. The ownership footprint on this forum and others is such a small sample set, making that blanket statement of "having so many QC issues.......". I understand people are pissed off,etc. but sometimes you have bad luck or failed to check the car over before you took delivery or didn't have a sales person that looked over the car for you and ensured it was in great shape for their customer.

I have leaned my lesson. I am to stop reading and responding to these QC threads.

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
There are over 100k cars sold. The ownership footprint on this forum and others is such a small sample set, making that blanket statement of "having so many QC issues.......". I understand people are pissed off,etc. but sometimes you have bad luck or failed to check the car over before you took delivery or didn't have a sales person that looked over the car for you and ensured it was in great shape for their customer.

I have leaned my lesson. I am to stop reading and responding to these QC threads.

Nearly impossible to check for scored pistons upon dealer inspection and pickup, and being dismissed as "normal" from one dealership. Yea, you are right, I am pissed and have every right to be. Like I said, luck of the draw, doesn't negate all the problems this line has had since inception and continues to have.
Although it may be a small percentage out of 100k plus sales and blah blah blah, it's all in the way it's been handled. Being dismissed as "normal" and failure to diagnose or show interest in actually fixing common issues from dealers are giving Ford a bad name. Ford is also at fault for letting these cars out of their factory in the condition they are going out.
I'm not spewing hate, I am upset though at the way certain things are handled, but that's another topic in its own. As a customer I shouldn't be putting up with this, and that's my .02, as everyone is entitled to their opinion in a public forum. It's like everything, it's all good, until it's not.

ZIGZGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red GT Premium PP
Last week, I picked up a birthday present in the form of a new 15 Mustang GT Premium in DIB. I love the car. Love the way it looks, drives and performs but Ford needs to do better on the QC on these cars. I know there are threads on this but I wanted to add my voice to the others and really advise all current owners of these 15's and all prospective buyers to really take time to look over the body on these cars. I thought I took enough time but I didn't. When I test drove the car, it was getting late in the day and I missed some things that I am now having to address. When I washed and waxed the car a few days after I bought it and was cleaning the rims, I noticed a good sized scratched area right at the lip of the drivers side rim. Looked like someone ate a curb up. The dealer has replaced that for me. So I am good there. But, here is the worst one. Yesterday, I opened the passenger door and heard a squeak. When I investigated, I saw that the door when opening was making contact with the foam packing in the fender. When I looked even closer, I saw that the door when opening was actually making light contact with the front fender, close to the top of the door. There was a small area of paint missing from where the contact was. So now, the car is in the body shop as we speak to have this alignment issue fixed and to get the chip fixed. I have looked the car over good now and as far as I can tell, this fix will have me in good shape, but check your cars carefully guys. And, realize that some things are easy to miss. I would encourage everyone to especially check their doors to make sure that when opening the door they have complete clearance between the door and fender top to bottom. Mine was only in a small spot but it was still rubbing and chipping the paint.

Thanks for the advice! I will follow your suggestions when I take delivery of mine. I'm planning on grabbing mine straight off the delivery truck so hopefully that will negate any wheel/paint scratch issues. Since it'll be a 2016 model I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ford will have addressed some of these QC issues by time I receive mine.

Sponsored

Ruby305GT

Work hard, play harder.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 premium GT
Thanks for the advice! I will follow your suggestions when I take delivery of mine. I'm planning on grabbing mine straight off the delivery truck so hopefully that will negate any wheel/paint scratch issues. Since it'll be a 2016 model I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Ford will have addressed some of these QC issues by time I receive mine.

Best of luck brother. Hopefully you draw a good seed from the pot.

mustang#16

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Yesterday, I opened the passenger door and heard a squeak. When I investigated, I saw that the door when opening was making contact with the foam packing in the fender. When I looked even closer, I saw that the door when opening was actually making light contact with the front fender, close to the top of the door. There was a small area of paint missing from where the contact was.
This is not uncommon. I have a similar problem except my passenger door clears the fender by only a hair. See link below to my earlier post for photos of my door rubbing on the foam. My car was made in October and delivered late Nov.

Link to post showing my door alignment => here

Monty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB
Mustang is on order (delivery Dec '15!) and overall really excited. However, this is the one thing I'm dreading. In the UK, the cars are essentially shipped to order so you can't just refuse the car and get another one, unless you want a six month wait. The dealers in the UK won't have any experience of the Mustang and the thought of letting their bodyshop loose on my brand new car keeps me awake at night! If I get the sloping rear window for example, I'll just have to live with it.

I think unless you're used to inspecting cars, it's practically impossible to notice all the issues at the time of picking the car up. Some have suggested taking a detailer along to do an inspection. I'd definitely recommend taking some high res photos. I got a car home once and it had a huge curb mark on the wheel. Didn't notice at the time, but it showed up on the photos, so I was able to prove I hadn't done it. It was worth looking like a wierdo for 5 minutes taking photos while the saleman looks on, bemused.

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323
I had a good look around the White US GT that they had in Guildford the other night and there were small alignment issues mainly between the metal bodywork and the plastic bumper covers. The rear window looked skewed around the third brake light as well. A few paint splashes on the black inner of the wheel arches too.

Last two new cars that I have bought were back in 2005. A Boxster then a Discovery 3.

Boxster was absolutely fine and the Land Rover had one paint blemish which I accepted when the dealer gave me some freebies.

I think if the GT of the other night was mine I would have accepted it, but only after pointing it all out and hopefully getting something like a free service out of them.

After all, it's only a Ford :D

Yet saying that, all the Focuses, Mondeos and Fiestas looked well put together.

OP
OP
Mgsouthwest2001

Mgsouthwest2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang GT C/S
Got my car back today. So, I was only without it for 24 hours. It was the passenger door that was off. The shop got it lined up and it clears the fender fine now. They touched up the chip and you would never know it was touched now. So, all is well now. I am just ready to settle down now and enjoy the car.
Sponsored