GT350 BASICS & OTHER ESSENTIAL INFORMATION- IGNORE AT YOUR OWN RISK

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
MARCH 2021

• First post has been cleaned up and reformatted.
  • All hyperlinks are functional as of 3/20/21.
    • Please let me know if you find any broken.
  • Sections “Ordering Info” and “New GT350 Purchaser Info” have been archived later in the thread.
  • Thank you for your participation. @Tank

This thread has been developed for the MUSTANG6G community on the 2015 to 2020 production run of the flat-planed crank, 5.2 Shelby GT350 manufactured by the Ford Motor Company at the Flat Rock Assembly Plant, Flat Rock, MI.

It is intended to be a repository of helpful and useful information for the GT350 as determined by the M6G members.

You are encouraged to take a look and participate with your first-hand experiences.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

HOW THIS'LL WORK
(feel free to suggest others):

• Make a suggestion or add links in posts to this thread. I will add here in the first post.
    • Contents are updated on a random basis. I will tag the OP of the thread or post if I link it. However;
      • ‘Tagging’ a member doesn’t show up to a taggee in an edited post.
      • It’s helpful when the community alerts me to what’s important especially with the later MYs.
      • A huge ‘Thank You’ to those who’ve contributed.
  • Use the forum's SEARCH & follow the links to get more information for any issues. Consider using search if you experience any problem with your GT350. After 6 MYs, the issue most likely has been discussed before.
  • I’ve noticed posts within threads can move around over time so I’ll attempt to adjust links accordingly.
  • You are responsible for anything you do to your vehicle.
  • I am not responsible for the information contained herein.
  • Mustang6G Forum Rules, just in case you missed them.

FORD PERFORMANCE - 1 (800) 367-3788

OWNER’S MANUAL AND SHELBY SUPPLEMENTAL MANUALS

BASIC VEHICLE INFO:

PRODUCTION NUMBERS:

MODEL YEAR INFO:

TRACK INFO:

WHAT'S CONSIDERED NORMAL (Thanks to @montreal ponies for this category)

• Piston slap, also known as "flapping" to a particular Canadian
  • Brake squeal
  • Tramlining
  • Brake dust, lots a brake dust
  • Expect to have to fill 'er up every time you drive the car
  • Sub-par panel fitment and quality & questionable paint quality in some circumstances
  • According to the March 2017 Shelby Supplement pg. 48, oil consumption of "approximately 1 quart per 500 miles" while "driving high performance vehicles in such a way that might lead to higher oil consumption (this includes extended time at high engine speeds, high loads, engine braking, hard cornering maneuvers and track use."
  • Some have reported a ticking noise from the front rotors particularly in a slow turn.
  • Expect your windows to get hung up on your weather stripping if you quickly open them with the windows all the way up. From @Zombo-
Unlatch the door while keeping the door closed using your thumb on the fixed part of the door handle. Once unlatch, open the door slightly until the window drops down, then open all the way. Using this process, the window cannot get hung up on the door seal.”

DON'T - MEANING DO NOT DO THE FOLLOWING

• Allow your GT350 to be towed with a sling belt or wheel lift equipment. Get it FLAT BEDDED. See Supplemental Manual.
  • Lift driver's side wiper quickly, it will scrape the paint off the leading edge of your hood.
  • Use an impact wrench at any time on your stock lug nuts. They’re a two-piece lug that’ll warp/deform/distort overtime.
  • Go to redline until engine oil temp reaches 190 F degrees. On a cold day, this might not happen or could take a while.
  • Let bird crap stay on your stripes. It will permanently etch, mar, discolor, or otherwise destroy the stripe.
  • Take it through an automatic car wash – parts may be blown off the car or your hood and fender could get screwed.
  • Turn your brake rotors per Ford’s recommendation. See SSM posted by @btown93

CHECK FOR THE FOLLOWING AT DELIVERY OR WHEN BUYING USED BEFORE TAKING POSSESSION:

• Front and rear suspension spring spacers are removed (ONLY WHEN NEW, hopefully)
    • If they are not and you find them still installed when you get home, you might need to have the magneride reset if you’re getting error codes. See dealer for fix.
  • Splitter is installed correctly if you allowed the dealer or anyone other than yourself to install it. (Hint, many GT350 owners choose to install it themselves.)
    • See thread by @Steve16 for more info.
    • See pics by @Epiphany for a clear comparison of a correctly and incorrectly installed splitter.
  • Edge of hood by driver’s side wiper- improperly lifted driver’s side wiper can scrape the paint off the leading edge of the hood.
  • Rear bumper gap- measure to get baseline at delivery then again when you notice it growing (if applicable)
  • Panel fitment in general
  • Look for any signs of damage due to improper transport, previous ownership or other abuse- misaligned/mis-colored panels, front undercarriage damage.
  • Bird crap on your stripes can cause permanent damage. Ensure it can be cleaned off with no visible defects. Do not accept delivery; get some sort of compensation or have the stripes removed if you do keep it.
  • Check the fasteners along the underside of the side skirts along the rocker panels. Some have reported loose or incomplete installation. Thanks @Destro
  • Check that all recalls have been performed. Thanks @THX 138

‘ORDERING INFO’AND ‘NEW GT350 PURCHASER INFORMATION’ HAVE BEEN ARCHIVED HERE

TSBs, CUSTOMER SATISFACTION PROGRAMS AND RECALLS HAVE BEEN MOVED TO THIS POST
  • IF YOU KNOW OF ANY APPLICABLE TO THE GT350 AND ARE NOT LISTED, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS.
  • There's also this thread by @nmp1.

HIGH PRIORITY CHECKS - defined as something to do to avoid a catastrophic failure:

Stage 1: 124 lb.in (14 Nm) (10.333 lb. ft.)
Stage 2: 180°

• If you can't find the Motorcraft TA-24-B, these manufacturers report these products meet the Ford WSK-M2G350-A2 spec:

MODERATE PRIORITY CHECKS - defined as everything else:

Drive train and related
  • Torque on oil filter - first gen, spin on filters. Still concerned about it vibrating loose, install a band clamp. @Zombo
  • CV boot integrity. (see thread by @kairojya for more information.
  • Engine to Oil Cooler lines for leaks
  • "C" Ring on Oil Filter Adapter- properly seated (at least once after delivery). It's visible from the oil filter hatch.
  • Lug nut torque
  • If you've installed them, check and empty catch cans as needed
  • Check fuse box for loose fuses and loose battery cables
  • Bottom edge of radiator for weeping coolant. Members report coolant can accumulate on the topside of the under belly pan so detecting this might not be so easy unless you drop the pan.
  • Check the underside of your hood directly above the air intake and battery cover seal for paint damage from the seals.
    • See post by @Zombo
    • Check the underside of your hood by the battery cover seal too. Thanks @fpa1974
  • Valve Cover Bolts- see thread by@GT_Dave
    • Torque: 89 lb.in (10 Nm)

Chassis, body...
  • Side vent trim piece pulling away from body
  • Rear bumper gap- this may continue to expand.
  • Aluminum panels for corrosion. See the TSB link above.
  • Splitter installed correctly- anytime someone other than owner removes and reinstalls it.
  • Taillight bezels rubbing on your rear bumper?

HOW-TO INFO:

WHERE TO START WHEN THINGS GO WRONG

DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes)

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION:

DSC_1111 (2018_03_06 00_02_22 UTC) new crop.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

KiLLeR2001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'89 240SX, '17 GT350
If you have catch cans installed, empty out passenger side catch can every X amount of miles depending on your vehicle.

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
None yet
Check line from brake master cylinder reservoir to clutch master cylinder. The connection at brake master cylinder reservoir can be loose.

icormba

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
Jeep SRT8 / GT350R / FocusRS
Low priority...
Check fuse box for loose fuses and loose battery cables maybe once every 6 months.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Tank

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
Low priority...
Check fuse box for loose fuses and loose battery cables maybe once every 6 months.
Hey Chris,
When it comes to the GT350, there is no 'low priority' :lol:
That's a new one to me. Do you know of any threads discussing this issue?
Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
- Radiator for light weeping of fluid along the bottom edges

VooDoo387R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R & 2020 GT500

Sponsored
OP
OP
Tank

Tank

9/11 - Never Forget
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0853
- Radiator for light weeping of fluid along the bottom edges
Hey [MENTION=13658]TDC[/MENTION],

That's a new one to me, has this been discussed anywhere?

Last edited:

montreal ponies

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
‘17 Ruby red GT350
I'd be cool to add a " normal caractheristic of the car " thread

Piston flapping
Brakes squealing
Tramlining