Sponsored

Official: 2018 Ford Mustang Refresh Detailed! (Options/Features, Specs, Photos, Info)

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
Packages

At least they got smart and did what I thought they should have from the outset. Which is to combine all the safety features into one package, instead of split up, or combining with the 12-speaker stereo, etc.

Makes sense to have this in one bundle:
The Safe & Smart Package includes:
• Adaptive Cruise Control
• Auto High Beam
• BLIS® (Blind Spot Information System) with Cross-Traffic Alert
• Lane-Keeping Alert
• Memory: Driver Seat (three (3) settings), Mirrors and Ambient Lighting
• Pre-Collision Assist with Pedestrian Detection
– Automatic Emergency Braking (AEB)
– Forward Collision Warning with Brake Support
• Rain-Sensing Windshield Wipers​
I think a lot of this has to do with minimizing the number of Wire Harnesses they have to build and stock. The Memory Seats have Memory Mirrors. The Memory Mirrors have BLIS Indicators in them. Easier to just have one Door Harness for the Option. Some cars have the Harnesses that only require the Option to be Plugged-In, like the Illuminated Door Sills, and Reverse/Backup Sensors. They still require Software to make them work.

When you look at the number of Harnesses, Sub-Harnesses and Pigtails listed on the Ford Parts Web Site for the 2015 - 2017 cars you can see why.

Reactions: GTP

BradleyMac

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP, 2015 Lincoln MKC & 2010 F150
I wish the digital display was part of the PP. I like to glance at road speed right at the braking point, and that display would make that task easier. As a novice, it's good to know your true entry speed, because overcooking the corner is a bad thing.

As it is, this display with digital speed is part of a $2200 package that is primarily about luxury, and not performance.
And in that 401A package is Navigation. Who wants Ford's $800 Nav when Android Auto beats it hands down?
too bad they also didn't incorp a heads up display with key info into the 2018. heads up on the windshield saves a ton of seeking.

JWS

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2015 WW-50th LE Auto-0745-Grandé
HUD

too bad they also didn't incorp a heads up display with key info into the 2018. heads up on the windshield saves a ton of seeking.
Well you do get kind of a HUD with the ACC, or 350 RPM Shift Indicator.

raidn

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ty
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Perf Pack + 1968 302 Coupe
I wouldn't mind picking up the Affordable model if it wasn't a 4 cylinder.... They need the Eco 6 and make it sound like the Ford GT and I'll make the switch.... Otherwise I expect a repeat of the Camaro.

Anyway, I said this would happen last year.... Hence, why I hold the same opinion... Competition is not always a good thing.
I wish Ford had put the 2.7L V6 Ecoboost that is in the Fusion Sport in the Mustang. I think that would have been a better option to slot in between the V6 and the 5.0. I might have considered that as a cheaper option. But that engine probably costs too much.

Sponsored

thePill

Camaro5's Most Wanted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
S550
I paid $36,800 for a 2011 GT Premium w/ Brembo Package and 401a not including state tax. I pre-ordered the car March 8th 2010.

Today, I would order a GT w/ PP1, I would pay $3200 more for a superior '18 GTPP.

I don't really think pricing is out of hand. If you consistently got less every year, I could understand the complaint. The fact is, most people option GT's up to the $45,000 range. As long as we buy it, they will continue to add it standard.

Ford was aggressive with the '18. It is a far better value than anything on the market.

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
Meh, I'm not overly thrilled with this refresh. If they'd kept the same price I'd have thought it was a good thing.

Next spring I'll probably sell my mustang and pickup a charger scatpack. My knee is going and I'm going to have to get an automatic here in the next year or two. I considered the mustang refresh but I'm just not that impressed with it for the price increases. Besides, I could use a 4 door with a big ass trunk :p .

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
This day and age, a HUD is sorely lacking. As is and integrated data and video logging system. Opportunity missed.

Madlock

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lots
I know it has been said before and I am sorry for beating a dead horse.

Wasn't the Mustang supposed to be affordable for the masses? If I were to spec out the same basic car that my 2017 is, it would cost $5,000 more. Mine has one option on it.

I'm just saying that it would be nice if Ford would've kept the Mustang as it was initially intended.
Good grief. The Good Old Days that never were. Which Mustang was the proletariat special? The V6. The entry level. Even A/C was optional. A GT with any kind of content never was cheap, but always was excellent relative value.

Want a cheap Mustang? EcoBoost is cheaper than 2017. But I doubt you'd ask your dealer if if you could ditch the A/C to cheapen things further. To any extent things have become pricier, thank better living through government and the 46 airbags, emissions mandates and even mandatory backup cameras because people are too lazy to look behind themselves or keep their kids out of the way when backing up.

If you want cheap, there's plenty out there to choose from. If you want value, a stripper Mustang is hard to beat.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
I don't really think pricing is out of hand.
:headbonk:

List on my '15 (options in my sig) was $40,015.

The equivalent '18 is $46,190.

That's a pretty damned significant hike in my book. Granted, I'd be forced to go 401A to get the red interior, but that's packaging hell for you.

Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT

List on my '15 (options in my sig) was $40,015.

The equivalent '18 is $46,190.

That's a pretty damned significant hike in my book. Granted, I'd be forced to go 401A to get the red interior, but that's packaging hell for you.

It's not really equivalent though....it contains what you have on your 15 plus a significant amount more. It may be stuff you don't want, but it sure as hell isn't equivalent.

scrubber3

Hopper, is that you?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Shadow Black. 2001 Jeep XJ 4x4
Good grief. The Good Old Days that never were. Which Mustang was the proletariat special? The V6. The entry level. Even A/C was optional. A GT with any kind of content never was cheap, but always was excellent relative value.

Want a cheap Mustang? EcoBoost is cheaper than 2017. But I doubt you'd ask your dealer if if you could ditch the A/C to cheapen things further. To any extent things have become pricier, thank better living through government and the 46 airbags, emissions mandates and even mandatory backup cameras because people are too lazy to look behind themselves or keep their kids out of the way when backing up.

If you want cheap, there's plenty out there to choose from. If you want value, a stripper Mustang is hard to beat.
Read $5000 more for the same thing (albeit a more expensive engine that has yet to prove itself on this platform and you can bet will be more expensive to fix should it need it) plus 25hp. Would you pay $5000 for a mod that gave you 25hp? The same camera, airbags, etc are on my 17 so that point is moot.

I can make a lot of HP for $5000

So, yeah.... the good old days that were.

Clink

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus
I paid $36,800 for a 2011 GT Premium w/ Brembo Package and 401a not including state tax. I pre-ordered the car March 8th 2010.

Today, I would order a GT w/ PP1, I would pay $3200 more for a superior '18 GTPP.

I don't really think pricing is out of hand. If you consistently got less every year, I could understand the complaint. The fact is, most people option GT's up to the $45,000 range. As long as we buy it, they will continue to add it standard.

Ford was aggressive with the '18. It is a far better value than anything on the market.
That is not even close to apples to apples....comparing what you bought 7 years ago to what you "would" buy now....the options aren't consistent so that's why the price gap is there :shrug:

HISSMAN

Large Member
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Oxford White GT/PP Premium
Just wait till the issues with the HPFP come up... Hopefully not, but I have yet to have a car with a HPFP that hasn't had one issue or another. My 135i lived on a flatbed.

c-rizzle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Explorer Sport
Read $5000 more for the same thing (albeit a more expensive engine that has yet to prove itself on this platform and you can bet will be more expensive to fix should it need it) plus 25hp. Would you pay $5000 for a mod that gave you 25hp? The same camera, airbags, etc are on my 17 so that point is moot.

I can make a lot of HP for $5000

So, yeah.... the good old days that were.
One good thing... if you own a 2015-2017, this kind of makes your car more valuable.

As for anyone else looking to get in to a nice (new or slightly used) S550, now has a $3k-5k higher buy in for a brand new car.

So in my opinion, the low miles 2015-2017 should hold a little more value, right?
Sponsored