Sponsored

Let’s talk about the H word - heatsoak

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sold boosted 5.0L Fox & 4.6 Cobra
Hey Guys,

I’m serioisly looking at S/C kits for the 2018. My last blower car had a lot of heat soak with a Vortech. Looking for something to provide fairly consistent power and don’t want to have to swap-in different heat exchangers, etc.

I’m looking to hear from folks with either Edelbrock, VMP, or Roush/Ford Racing blowers about first hand experience regarding heat soak on the street.

Not looking for another Centri blower and have no interest in a Whipple, so please just folks running the blowers I mentioned earlier.

Thanks!
Sponsored

Last edited:

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
I haven't experienced heat soak with my Roush/FRPP on the street. I haven't taken it to the 1/4 strip, yet. 170degree thermostat, Lund tune, Kook's headers, VelossaTech big mouth and full open hood vents. So far, I've had no problems with anything with this thing.

OP
OP
Blown_90LX

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I haven't experienced heat soak with my Roush/FRPP on the street. I haven't taken it to the 1/4 strip, yet. 170degree thermostat, Lund tune, Kook's headers, VelossaTech big mouth and full open hood vents. So far, I've had no problems with anything with this thing.
Thanks Whitey! So you can beat it up with a few back to back hits on the street and there’s really no drop off in power? How much boost are you running?

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Not that I've noticed. Mine is the stock system with 85mm pulley, but was told that the headers may possibly drop boost a little, so I'd say 7- 7.5lbs? But, I just bought a K2 filter and an 82mm pulley that I'm going to have Lund check out so I'm not running out of injector, so my boost will go up, some. VMP makes a nice kit with a triple pass heat exchanger with fans.

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
But keep in mind, I'm in Pennsylvania. We get hot days and humidity (to me), but nothing like the southern boys and the Texans. I looked into the VMP triple pass heat exchanger with fans with Shaun at PBD just for fun because I like to fool with stuff, but he said for me it wasn't needed for the boost I'll be pushing with the smaller pulley. He said if/when I hit 12-13lbs or so, then it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade. And let's face it, he could've easily pushed the VMP just to make a sale, so his honesty was appreciated. I bought my K2 filter and K2 pulley from them. Nice guys.

Sponsored

robwlf

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
rob
Vehicle(s)
17 lightning blue pp LFP 670
same i'm roush phase 1 for now .. i do some spirited driving :).. so far ive been ok.. i removed the hood liner, and the rubber around the back of the hood. im open air box as well i get high air temps but they drop fast soon as i start moving as to be expected running open ..
as whitey said we get some crap hot days but nothing like down south.but i havnt had a prob thus far and im still on the roush tune which is conservative

yonson

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 A10 401A, '16 RCSB 5.0
I have an Edelbrock 2650 on my F-150 and the only time I've noticed any heat soaking is if you run it hard for a while then let it sit for 30 minutes then try and run it again. Even then on a 1/4 mile run the MCT only climbs 15 degrees (F) from starting line to finish line... So the intercooler still works quite effectively it just happened to start at 130 degrees instead of 100 - 110ish...

Jeff's FRC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Centri guys will tell you PD blowers heat soak so badly that after the first run they're done for and wont run strong until the next morning when they're cold again...lol

My Whipple car with the old standard H/E and no fans doesn't seem to lose a step between pulls. It also put down the most power on the third consecutive dyno pull which shocked me.

BoostedBen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic GT PP Premium
Not that I've noticed. Mine is the stock system with 85mm pulley, but was told that the headers may possibly drop boost a little, so I'd say 7- 7.5lbs? But, I just bought a K2 filter and an 82mm pulley that I'm going to have Lund check out so I'm not running out of injector, so my boost will go up, some. VMP makes a nice kit with a triple pass heat exchanger with fans.
I can vouch as I have the VMP heat exchanger, it's wonderful even in the FL heat.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
Get the basic vmp kit, add a PNR trunk mount ice tank and the whipple oversized heat exchanger and that will be the absolute best setup you can run next to a killer chiller

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Get the basic vmp kit, add a PNR trunk mount ice tank and the whipple oversized heat exchanger and that will be the absolute best setup you can run next to a killer chiller
I don't know where the OP is located, but with that set-up you mentioned, he should be able to run a 1/4mile strip in the African Sahara. :lol:

Bluustang71

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP CAI w/tune
Centri guys will tell you PD blowers heat soak so badly that after the first run they're done for and wont run strong until the next morning when they're cold again...lol

My Whipple car with the old standard H/E and no fans doesn't seem to lose a step between pulls. It also put down the most power on the third consecutive dyno pull which shocked me.
My whipple car was the same.. most power on the 3rd dyno run. I was impressed by the size of H/E with the kit. I will see in summer lol

OP
OP
Blown_90LX

Blown_90LX

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the great feedback. Sounds like it’s not a huge issue. I do live in the South so I’m trying to plan for those 98 degree regular summer days.

I’m really digging the upcoming Edelbrock kit. I like the idea of using a trunk and/or Underhood water system like BoDuke said like the PBH Ice cell. Anyone know how that plumbs in to something like the Edelbrock or similar kit?

Also, anyone ever use a water injection system like the one Snow makes to either spray the heat exchanger or even directly into intake tract? Saw the new BMW had a factory water injection system that was good for an extra 50 horse due to cooling effect.

Boduke0220

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP
I don't know where the OP is located, but with that set-up you mentioned, he should be able to run a 1/4mile strip in the African Sahara. :lol:
Lmao, better safe than sorry!!

I've seen a few people use meth/water but most go E85 fuel. Most tuners won't tune for the meth so you'd have to run a smaller jet so it would mess with the a/f id imagine, but I could be wrong.

racingmason

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium
My Kenne Bell billet case gets hot enough to cook an egg but my IATs are 40 over ambient.
Sponsored