Sponsored

2018+ GT Performance Package Level 1 Worth $4k?

V8Stang15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 GT - Race Red
Hot button issue, I guess... going off of the conversations I've had via Youtube comments on my videos. And after searching for this topic, it seems it's been a year since this forum really tackled this conversation and the 18+ Mustang PP is even more expensive than the 15-17.

I'll repeat here what I said to someone on Youtube:
I guess I’ll just have to accept that my opinion that the Performance Pack Level 1 isn’t really a great value is an unpopular opinion. I just don’t feel buying that trim at $4k and then still upgrading some parts like suspension, rims, and tires makes it that much of a bargain. I’d argue cherry-picking parts like I mentioned in the video makes more sense. Especially, as I said, that at $4700 over a base car you could get the same brakes, gears, and radiator as the PP1, but you’ll also have better suspension, better wheels, and better or equal tires. I’d rather do that than buy the PP1 for $700 less, but that’s just me.

I want to say, hopefully for the last time between this video and my video about why I skipped the performance pack, I have no qualms about some people being satisfied with the PP1’s offerings and buying that package. It’s a good deal if you’re all set with the car off the lot... but for most of us, modding is impulsive or necessary and I hope my explanation in the video and in my first response explains why I think cherry-picking is probably a better option, value-wise.

Opinions?

[ame]
Sponsored

Reactions: 113

MaxHedrm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible - Orange Fury
Vehicle Showcase
It also depends on whether you are going with Magnaride. If that's the plan, then PP1 probably makes sense. I also went with the dynamic exhaust. Ultimately I may go with an H pipe, and I'm likely to swap wheels at some point to, but not til I kill the stock tires. So ... PP1 should be fine for me.

But I agree fully with you, if you're going to mod it beyond PP1 or PP2 levels anyway, getting the Performance Pack makes little sense.

Hivel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I had to get the PP1 to get Magneride. You might be able to get the PP1 parts for $4700. But, you would also have to install them. And I don't know if you would get a 3y/36000 mile warranty. What installed pricing did you find for these components?

1> Torsen diff
2> MICHELIN Pilot® Sport 4 S
3> PP1 wing
4> Radiator
5> upgraded control arm bearings
6> Wheels
7> 15” Brembo Brakes

Then would still be missing
Gauge Pack (incl. oil pressure and vacuum gauges)
Heavy-duty front springs
K-brace
Larger front and rear stabilizer bars
Silver-painted strut tower brace
Unique AdvanceTrac and ABS calibration
Unique chassis tuning
Unique EPAS calibration

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
The performance pack is a no brainier to me for the price. Brembo brakes, limited slip, Michelin 4S, springs, control arms, gauges, etc. All those things are must haves for me and I would likely spend more trying to piece something together that may result in an inferior handling car.

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
PP1......meh?:shrug:

Sponsored

Memphis9s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 GT PP
It's not just the parts with the PP package either. You get lots of electronic goodies as well.

bootlegger

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
Ex 2008 Mustang GT Owner
Do you plan on replacing struts, springs, wheels, etc? If so, PP1 isn’t a good value. If you are happy with the performance of those things as is, then PP1 is a great value. I have magneride, and only plan on doing mods to work with the PP1 components. So it was a no brainer imo.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
PP1:

The GT Performance Package includes:
• 19" X 9" (F) 19" X 9.5" (R) Ebony Black-painted Aluminum
• 255/40R19 (F) 275/40R19 (R) Summer Only Tires
• Brembo ™ Six-Piston Front Brake Calipers with Larger Rotors
• "Engine Spun" Aluminum Instrument Panel
• Gauge Pack (Oil Pressure and Vacuum)
• Heavy-duty Front Springs
• K-Brace
• Larger Radiator
• Performance Rear Wing (Fastback Only)
• Silver Painted Strut-Tower Brace
• Spoiler Delete (Convertible Only)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.73 Axle Ratio (Manual)
• TORSEN® Differential with 3.55 Axle Ratio (Automatic)
• Unique Chassis Tuning
• Unique EPAS, ABS and Stability Control Tuning
• Upsized Rear Sway Bar

Pulpit

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Black GT
If you live in Canada it’s a great deal. $3700.00 option = less than 3k in US funds. They make up for it by charging us more for other options.

Sponsored

smbsocal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Mustang GT Vert, '17 C7 Z06, '19 BMW X5
We just picked ours up with PP1, the only reason we went for it was to get the Magneride.

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP
The Brembo front brakes alone costs around $1,300, and you'll have to install them, lets say you are experienced and installation takes 4 hours, hourly cost $50, so $1500 for the brakes. Tires costs $1,156 per tirerack, but lets say you got a good deal and got them for $1,000, that's already $2,500. The wheels costs $1,117 on CJPP, but let's round it down to $1,000 again, and let's say mounting and balancing the tires costs roughly $100, that's $3,600 now. I bet you can't get all the other stuff for just $400 plus installation. So I'd say it's a pretty good deal, and you get warranty for all those as well.

obgod3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT, PP1, 401A, A10
I am ordering mine in the next two weeks. I have the dilemma of PP1 or no PP1 but have decided on getting it. Here is this thing, Im doing this once. I would like to think that I would customize the car, suspension, tunes, whatever, but the reality is I wont. So for me it’s a good deal. In saying that I like the wheels, I like the tire that I get, things like the brakes, larger radiator are worth getting done by the factory and not guessing if the local hack doesnt jack up my car putting a bigger radiator in. I have my own thread where I rented a 18 GT Premium PP1 with recaro last weekend. The brakes are worth it. I have also driven a non PP1 so I know the difference. Again everyone is different, for me the money is not a big deal so why not get it, it just shit Iwont have to do later and probably wouldnt anyway. The car isnt the only thing I do, I travel, race dirt bikes etc. I wont race my car so its my DD, weekend getaway, cars and coffee, sat nite at sonic car.

Just gotta get my monthly Drive thru car wash subscription....

Oh I liked the recaro but the wife said no way in hell.....she didnt like that the passenger seat had little adjustment and since she 5’1” she stared at the dash all weekend.

Concrete GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Ruby Red Vert
I am ordering mine in the next two weeks. I have the dilemma of PP1 or no PP1 but have decided on getting it. Here is this thing, Im doing this once. I would like to think that I would customize the car, suspension, tunes, whatever, but the reality is I wont. So for me it’s a good deal. In saying that I like the wheels, I like the tire that I get, things like the brakes, larger radiator are worth getting done by the factory and not guessing if the local hack doesnt jack up my car putting a bigger radiator in. I have my own thread where I rented a 18 GT Premium PP1 with recaro last weekend. The brakes are worth it. I have also driven a non PP1 so I know the difference. Again everyone is different, for me the money is not a big deal so why not get it, it just shit Iwont have to do later and probably wouldnt anyway. The car isnt the only thing I do, I travel, race dirt bikes etc. I wont race my car so its my DD, weekend getaway, cars and coffee, sat nite at sonic car.

Oh I liked the recaro but the wife said no way in hell.....she didnt like that the passenger seat had little adjustment and since she 5’1” she stared at the dash all weekend.
Pretty much agree with this especially in our case. We just brought ours home yesterday. It's my wife's daily transportation, 14 miles round trip to our office and back, and it's replacing our 2015GT Convertible which was totaled last Saturday. It won't see a track or dragstrip because I already have my GT500 if I want to do those things.
I wanted the Magnaride because we have quite a few brick roads on the way to the office and I also like to play around in a convertible sometimes on the weekend when I get bored with the Shelby and the weather is nice,

When you throw in the Brembo brakes and other features like the springs it really just made sense to get it since we plan on keeping this car for quite awhile. I love my cars and truck for that matter however I don't do installs so paying the extra labor and especially with the unpredictability of changing springs and such prefer not to chance the quality of the "factory feel" of the car.

I had Eibach lowering springs on out 2015 and it didn't upset the ride that much however the springs and control arms and such on my Shelby are very noisy and even with aftermarket adjustable coilovers the ride is somewhat jarring....That's fine for a weekender and occasional weekday car but it would make you want to gouge your eyes out if used on a daily basis....

DukeGaGa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium PP

Please no auto car wash... :frusty:
Sponsored