Sponsored

2018 Bullitt Mustang (and Features) Confirmed in Window Sticker

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Although the Mach 1 was a product of re-cycling many exiting parts, the engine was not one of them. It is not the unused dog engine that was destined to be used in the 02 Cobra. That comes directly from Scott Hoag who designed both the '01 Bullitt as well as the SN95 Mach 1. And the side scoops are standard Mustang, if you have Termi inserts, someone replaced them. The C-pillar and quarter windows were Bullitt sourced, and the seats were Cobra based. There were many unique pieces as well, but there were budget constraints which kept things like Cobra Jet scripts off the shaker.

They were not replaced. I was crossing the scoop with the insert, the Mach1 side scoops say:
TERMINATOR VT 4203
2R3V-63279D38-AAW

If you read Iron Fist Lead foot they mention an engine they designed that was just a tweaked improvement of the 2001 Cobra that was rejected. Why would Ford spend R&D on 2 projects to create nearly identical engines? The fact it also has Terminators heads and cams rather indicates it was created alongside the Terminator project.

If they built it separately then they should have fought for 96-98 or 99-01 Cobra cams in it instead of the Terminator cams. The fact that so many cost cutting things had to happen leads me to believe the car wasn't really intended to happen, which then makes more sense to reuse something rejected from SVT than to build another engine.

Also Cobra Jet was rejected as the SVT team objected to the use of the word Cobra, which is why they settled on the reuse of the R code. Finances made them scrap the active shaker scoop that opened at higher speeds and closed at lower. One of the prototypes for it showed up on ebay a few years back.
Sponsored

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
They were not replaced. I was crossing the scoop with the insert, the Mach1 side scoops say:
TERMINATOR VT 4203
2R3V-63279D38-AAW

If you read Iron Fist Lead foot they mention an engine they designed that was just a tweaked improvement of the 2001 Cobra that was rejected. Why would Ford spend R&D on 2 projects to create nearly identical engines? The fact it also has Terminators heads and cams rather indicates it was created alongside the Terminator project.

If they built it separately then they should have fought for 96-98 or 99-01 Cobra cams in it instead of the Terminator cams. The fact that so many cost cutting things had to happen leads me to believe the car wasn't really intended to happen, which then makes more sense to reuse something rejected from SVT than to build another engine.

Also Cobra Jet was rejected as the SVT team objected to the use of the word Cobra, which is why they settled on the reuse of the R code. Finances made them scrap the active shaker scoop that opened at higher speeds and closed at lower. One of the prototypes for it showed up on ebay a few years back.

What I think is going to happen, is build your own Bullitt. And that DHG is going to be an option/package, that comes with certain cosmetic cues. But the will allow PP1 or PP2 optioning for the suspension.

If it is going to be unique, I am hoping that something to lighten the car up and make it more agile, like the carbon resin front overhang, or rear seat delete, or lightweight wheels, exhaust, etc.

Either-Or... sound good to me.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
What I think is going to happen, is build your own Bullitt. And that DHG is going to be an option/package, that comes with certain cosmetic cues. But the will allow PP1 or PP2 optioning for the suspension.

If it is going to be unique, I am hoping that something to lighten the car up and make it more agile, like the carbon resin front overhang, or rear seat delete, or lightweight wheels, exhaust, etc.

I don't expect any lightening, but the suspension options would be nice.

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt

I hope so. It's really the best chance at making everyone happy. Those like myself that want a softer cruiser can just get the appearance on a regular GT, those that think it needs more can load up as many performance options as they want.

I remember someone posted on the IMBOC forums a couple of years ago that they asked Dave Pericak at an event if Ford had any plans to do a new Bullitt. Dave acted like they hadn't even thought about it and this person suggested just making it an appearance package. Supposedly Dave was receptive to the idea. Who knows if it influenced him at all, but with the brakes possibly looking smaller, and the California Special missing for 2018, it seems a little more likely.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
I hope so. It's really the best chance at making everyone happy. Those like myself that want a softer cruiser can just get the appearance on a regular GT, those that think it needs more can load up as many performance options as they want.

I remember someone posted on the IMBOC forums a couple of years ago that they asked Dave Pericak at an event if Ford had any plans to do a new Bullitt. Dave acted like they hadn't even thought about it and this person suggested just making it an appearance package. Supposedly Dave was receptive to the idea. Who knows if it influenced him at all, but with the brakes possibly looking smaller, and the California Special missing for 2018, it seems a little more likely.
I'd be fine with Appearance packages if you could pair them with Performance packages. Just make the performance packages mechanical, and the appearance kits styling.

Then you could have a Bullitt or CS with PP1 or PP2 and then just as a Track Appearance kit, that has the wings/lips/lighter wheels ect.

Mix and match what you want. Everyone wins.

Sponsored

falcongtho3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mach 1 ; 2013 Boss 302
TERMINATOR VT 4203
2R3V-63279D38-AAW

These scoop insets go all the way back to the Premuim GT car from 2001 and have a honeycomb pattern. The '03/'04 Termi inserts have horizontal lines.
The Mach 1 cams are from a Navigator 5.4 (exhaust), and the heads are unique. The cams and heads from the Cobra were scrapped. And yes, I read Colettis book. It should be required reading, but the Mach 1 is not a hand-me-down Cobra reject.

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
These scoop insets go all the way back to the Premuim GT car from 2001 and have a honeycomb pattern. The '03/'04 Termi inserts have horizontal lines.
The Mach 1 cams are from a Navigator 5.4 (exhaust), and the heads are unique. The cams and heads from the Cobra were scrapped. And yes, I read Colettis book. It should be required reading, but the Mach 1 is not a hand-me-down Cobra reject.
I had already pointed out I mixed up the scoops and the inserts. Mach1 and Terminator have the exact same heads and cams. Aviator & Marauder have the same heads and cams also.

https://www.stangnet.com/images/stories/docs/sn95_TSBs/06-05-13.pdf?37e6df
Note the part numbers on Page 2.

If I recall every v4 Engine ever for the 4.6 had the same exhaust cam, the 96-98 had most aggressive Intake, 99-01 2nd most aggressive, and /Aviator/Marauder/Mach1/Terminator had the same cams(all 4) and least aggressive Intake cams.

Last edited:

Twin Turbo

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
Mustang '05 GT
Gents....lets keep this '18 Bullitt specific please. There's a Mach 1 section for rumour/speculation/discussion :)

Sponsored

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
We need more info on the wheels...
The Bullitt is going to come as a complete package--sorry no adding PP1 of PP2 to it if Ford doesn't include it as part of the OEM package.
The wheels of the CA Special would not accommodate the PP1 Bermbo brakes so adding PP1 was not an option on that car plus the CA had unique wheels that PP1 rubber wound't fit.

Thus a big key-- Those wheels on the possible Bullitt in Chicago. Will they clear the Brembo calipers, are they large enough on all 4 corners to match PP2 rubber???

I do not want to get into the posts just above this but just be careful--Ford flops parts around all the time. Most cars, to some extent, are parts bin cars--just as the original mustang was back in 1964.

As to the side scoops--are you guys talking about the Shelby style scoops in front of the rear wheels? You do all know that they first showed up in 1999 on a little over 4600 35th Anniversary Limited Edition GTs (as did the rear wing that reappeared in 2001, and the alum shifter ball that was later used in the 01 Bullitts and 03/04 Machs, and the silver gauge cluster surround of the Machs--not new--first appeared in 99 on those LEs, oh the red seat and red door inserts (although a different part of the door) on the 03 SVT 10th Anniversary Cobras--that idea first arrived but in silver on the 99 LE).

And yeah I owed one of the first 99 LEs, 01 Bullitts, and 03 Machs to arrive in Northern Calif. Only one I ever sold and regretted (I still regret it) was the 01 Bullitt. Just the perfect level of mild suspension drop for a road car. And not a lot of screaming HP but that 2 vl engine has a lower center of gravity then the 4 vl version that really helped the front end. I called that car 'tossable'...just damn fun on back country roads.

Last edited:

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
Just the perfect level of mild suspension drop for a road car. And not a lot of screaming HP but that 2 vl engine has a lower center of gravity then the 4 vl version that really helped the front end. I called that car 'tossable'...just damn fun on back country roads.
This is actually why I'm holding for a BUllitt. I loved that my mach1 over 4k would scream to redline, but the Bullitt was just a better car for corner carving, even while still having a solid axle. The Bullitt was almost the Cobra to the GT's Mach1. Could it do a better 1/4? Sure. But it really shined on a road coarse.

One of the best rides I have been in was a 01 Bullitt with:
welded subframe connectors
265 front - 295 rear
X brace
strut bar
catback
tune

Was is slower than my Mach1 in line? Yeah, but it handled like it was on rails comparatively. The corner confidence was so much higher. That and the color sold me on Bullitts.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Wish there were clearer images of the wheels...!! Car looks great and should be an interesting commercial!
Sponsored