machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
IMG_1042.JPG

Or they could make it really special and use this cluster!!!!!
I don't think they programming for a unique set of gauges would be all THAT difficult. Would be cool if they did. The GT font is very attractive. The steering wheel I'd like to have too ;)

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Would be killer if they robbed the steering wheel and gauges from the GT! Not unprecedented Porsche used the 918 steering wheel in the Macon and that's a million dollars car! I would love it if the mixed up the interior so that it would stand out from the base Mustang!!

machsmith

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
Honda Minis
Would look nice but it most likely would never happen. That GT500 specific gauges wouldn't surprise me tho. I mean, the more recent GT500 and GT350 received specific dial gauges so with the digital it should come with exclusive display.

Sponsored

GT500TT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche turbo
Got to ride/drive in a 2018 mustang GT tonight 10 speed auto. It was a very base car but I was pretty impressed with the power it had. I was also surprised about how nice the interior was put together. Really made me excited for the potential for the GT500/SE models. The 2018 is definitely going to be a great starting place for whatever Ford is cooking up! Also personally I think it was a good looking car in person! The magnetic metallic is a really nice color. Anyway makes me hope we get or baby in January!!'n

482supersnake

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
New guy here, I've been lurking for about the last year looking to pick up a gt350 or premium GT around February of March.

Yeah, that's not how OEMs do product development, though. Powertrain specs are frozen >2 years from J1, even for specialty/performance products like this.
While I agree that you are most likely correct that Ford has everything set in place for the new GT500, it wouldn't be beyond them to make last minute changes.
Cases in point.

In 1968 Ford had every intention of putting a de-tuned 427 into their line up, built prototypes, cast all the unique parts, put out literature and even printed shop manuals showing a W code 427 in the Mustangs and Torino/Fairlanes. In the end only about 300 Mercury Cougar received the 427's.

Later in 1968 Fords engine choice for the Mustang in the Tran-Am series was a tunnel port 302. Two versions were designed, an all out race version and a street version. Ford built test cars and even had a head to head in magazines with the Z-28 Camaro. In the end Ford decided not to produce a tunnel port 302 Mustang as the development of the Boss 302 had begun. All of the street version motors that had been produced - quite a few of them - were sold off as crate motors.

1971. After two successful year of Boss 302 production Ford began development of a 1971 Boss 302. Again a test car was built and all of the unique parts were designed and made for production. At the last minute it was decided to build a Boss 351 instead.

I know it is easier for a manufacture to not make an engine/car at the last minute then it is for them to add something but think of the millions of dollars that went into these projects that got scrapped at the last minute.

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
those pics on first page are no different than the current ones

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
New guy here, I've been lurking for about the last year looking to pick up a gt350 or premium GT around February of March.

While I agree that you are most likely correct that Ford has everything set in place for the new GT500, it wouldn't be beyond them to make last minute changes.
Cases in point.

In 1968 Ford had every intention of putting a de-tuned 427 into their line up, built prototypes, cast all the unique parts, put out literature and even printed shop manuals showing a W code 427 in the Mustangs and Torino/Fairlanes. In the end only about 300 Mercury Cougar received the 427's.

Later in 1968 Fords engine choice for the Mustang in the Tran-Am series was a tunnel port 302. Two versions were designed, an all out race version and a street version. Ford built test cars and even had a head to head in magazines with the Z-28 Camaro. In the end Ford decided not to produce a tunnel port 302 Mustang as the development of the Boss 302 had begun. All of the street version motors that had been produced - quite a few of them - were sold off as crate motors.

1971. After two successful year of Boss 302 production Ford began development of a 1971 Boss 302. Again a test car was built and all of the unique parts were designed and made for production. At the last minute it was decided to build a Boss 351 instead.

I know it is easier for a manufacture to not make an engine/car at the last minute then it is for them to add something but think of the millions of dollars that went into these projects that got scrapped at the last minute.
Nearly 50 year old anecdote doesn't represent how modern cars are designed, tested and produced. Yes, things like that happened in that era, but I can assure you that they don't anymore.

Strokerswild

Shallow and Pedantic
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
Things With Wheels
Nearly 50 year old anecdote doesn't represent how modern cars are designed, tested and produced. Yes, things like that happened in that era, but I can assure you that they don't anymore.
This.

Just the boondoggle of emissions certification for one thing these days, which wasn't on the map back then....

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
This.

Just the boondoggle of emissions certification for one thing these days, which wasn't on the map back then....
That's the biggest reason, as well as APQP. You have to have finished your calibration and run the emissions cycles with aged catalysts before you submit to the EPA. And then not long after that, the CAFE testing. You have to submit to the EPA anywhere from 6 mo. to 1 year before J1.

Eritas

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Does anyone think the GT350 and 500 are the last of the cool performance cars from Ford? The new CEO seems more interested in going electric, self driving cars, and trucks than performance cars.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
No.

bmarco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ford Shelby GT350
I do not think so either but I do think enthusiasm on Ford’s part will be scaled back. I was very surprised by the shift in emphasis at SEMA. I do not think I saw a single GT350 in their booth. Virtually all the cars on display were the products of aftermarket tuners/modifiers (execept for the Ford GT’s). Big emphasis on trucks. I was hugely disappointed. For me, the most fun car there was Robert Downey Jr’s Boss 302.

Ponyboy4

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dakota
Vehicle(s)
2004 GT Premium
Performance cars from Ford will live on as long as the Mustang does I'm sure.
Hopefully Ford wont go full Toyota and kill every interesting car they have within a few years...
Sponsored