Sponsored

DIY - Lifting Gas Pedal w/ Spacers for Heel-Toe, <$5

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
In stock configuration, the gas pedal of S550 Mustang is further away from the driver than the brake pedal, which makes heel-toe super hard for me (as well as many members here).

Some members have used spacers to lift the pedal up (thus making it better aligned with the brake). These spacers are usually available at hardware stores (Lowe's, Home depot, ACE, etc.) for just a few bucks. I decided that this would be my first mod to my V6 -- DIYer's pedal mounts :)

Without measuring anything (but I have seen some pictures here), I just went to Lowes and started searching their spacers. Finally I bought 6 nylon spacers of the size 1 x 3/8 x 3/8 (od x id x h), for less than 5 bucks. Actually I had my mind set on 1/2 inch thickness, but the outside diameters available for that thickness are all too small at Lowes.

Got home, could not wait to install them. Use 10mm socket to remove the 3 nuts, didn't even have to unplug the wire, put the spacers in, with 2 spacers on each bolt. However, with 2 spacers (of 3/4 in height total), the bolts just barely stuck out when the pedal was on. Ended up with just one 3/8 inch spacer on each bolt. Tightened the nuts back on, all done.

Some pointers:
* 1 inch outside diameter is the PERFECT size. The pedal is solid and firm on the spacers.
* 3/8 inch inside diameter is a bit loose for the bolt, but not too bad. With 10 mm nuts, the bolts should be 6mm(?) or 0.23622 inch. So 1/4 inch hole size would be a better fit. (As Norm suggested next, one can always drill or drill out to suit. So smaller hole size, such as 3/16 inch id or plain spacers with no hole, should work better if you have the tools.)
* the factory bolts (on my V6) should be able to take spacers of 1/2 inch (or maybe even 5/8 inch) in thickness.
* it took me maybe 15 minutes to finish the whole process. Again, this is my very first time modifying a car, so was a bit unsure with each step. For most of you, I won't be surprised if you can finish it within 5 minutes.

Update 2/4/16: Drove it to work today. My heel-toe is officially back! To be honest, I was afraid that 3/8 inch might not be enough, boy I am glad I was wrong. No more hurting my ankle/knee in doing H/T; It's pure enjoyment now. (No other mods whatsoever if you are wondering.)

Compared to the pedal configuration in my last car, my V6 gas pedal still could use some more lift. So if I can find 1 x 1/4 x 1/2 spacers, I will get them. But I definitely can (and will) enjoy the new found fun made possible by the 3/8 inch lift. (This is for street driving, where I don't brake hard when heel-toe, which is why I can make use of the 1/2 inch lift.)

Picture of 1 x 3/8 x 3/8 spacers. (The ones in picture were bought at Lowes at $1.51 per bag with 2 spacers in a bag. Home Depot also has same size nylon spacers (of difference brand) available at $0.51 per spacer.)
24518473150_880196133e_b.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ Can you get plain (undrilled) nylon spacers or spacers with something more like 3/16" holes? Drill them or drill them out to suit; you should be able to get to within 1/32" oversize.

Norm

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
↑↑↑ Can you get plain (undrilled) nylon spacers or spacers with something more like 3/16" holes? Drill them or drill them out to suit; you should be able to get to within 1/32" oversize.

Norm
Great idea! Never thought of this, especially given that I have a drill with bits of (almost) all sizes. Guess I will be visiting hardware stores in the coming weeks. (Even 1/4 inch inside diameter would be much better than 3/8.)

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
pics? Do you have the part numbers from the spacers?
Each bag has 2 spacers @ $1.51/bag at Lowes. If you can find 1 x 1/4 x 1/2 spacers, take them as they should fit better.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Drove it to work today. My heel-toe is officially back! To be honest, I was afraid that 3/8 inch might not be enough, boy I am glad I was wrong. No more hurting my ankle/knee in doing H/T; It was pure enjoyment.

Compare to the pedal configuration in my last car, my V6 gas pedal could use some more lift. So if I can find 1 x 1/4 x 1/2 spacers, I will get them. But I definitely can (and will) enjoy the new found fun made possible by the 3/8 lift.

Silver6Speed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ingot Silver GT
I found 3/8" steel "spacers" in my local Ace Hardware's cable clamp bins - not sure what purpose they serve in clamping wire rope. Inner diameter allows for 1/32"-1/16" tolerance.

Cost was $1.68. Favorite mod so far and really rethinking buying a heel/toe pedal set as I am getting better each time I drive and catching on much faster than I anticipated after watching some heel/toe vids on BangShift.com. Track days will be different as braking will be much deeper in the brake pedal throw.

WKT

I Bleed FORD Blue!
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350 Lead Foot Grey
Made my own out of 11mm poly/nylon sheet, used a 1" hole saw to cut them out. Fits perfect, snug on the studs and fits perfect inside the openings of the floor insulation. Definitely a big improvement in pedal position. I wear size 13, I could not roll my ankle over enough to use the side of my foot or get my heel to the gas pedal with shoe so big. This worked perfect for me, it will take a week or two of practice to get good with it but it is do able now.
With the gas pedal spaced up a set of Steeda pedals would be perfect addition, one of my next mods probably.

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I found 3/8" steel "spacers" in my local Ace Hardware's cable clamp bins - not sure what purpose they serve in clamping wire rope. Inner diameter allows for 1/32"-1/16" tolerance.

Cost was $1.68. Favorite mod so far and really rethinking buying a heel/toe pedal set as I am getting better each time I drive and catching on much faster than I anticipated after watching some heel/toe vids on BangShift.com. Track days will be different as braking will be much deeper in the brake pedal throw.
Yes, 3/8 makes the difference. Very cheap mod too. Heel-toe pedal should help, but on the other hand I also prefer to keep my pedals look stock (personal preference).

Made my own out of 11mm poly/nylon sheet, used a 1" hole saw to cut them out. Fits perfect, snug on the studs and fits perfect inside the openings of the floor insulation. Definitely a big improvement in pedal position. I wear size 13, I could not roll my ankle over enough to use the side of my foot or get my heel to the gas pedal with shoe so big. This worked perfect for me, it will take a week or two of practice to get good with it but it is do able now.
With the gas pedal spaced up a set of Steeda pedals would be perfect addition, one of my next mods probably.
Yes, 1 inch outside diameter fits perfect, and 11mm lifts the pedal a tad more than 3/8 inch. Should work well with Steeda pedals.

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
While searching for 1 x 1/4 x 1/2 (od x id x h, inch) spacers, I found 1 x 3/8 x 3/8 nylon spacers (at $0.51 per spacer) at Home Depot. So this DIY can be done for less than 2 bucks.

Sponsored
OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Found 1/8 inch thick nylon spacers at ACE, with 1/4 inch hole size.

Thinking to add a 1/8 thick spacer on top of my 3/8 thick spacer, which would produce 1/2 inch lift total? Any risk in using two nylon spacers (one 3/8 thick and one 1/8 inch thick)? This could be a silly question, but I truly don't know whether I am supposed to use two spacers. Let me know please.

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I imagine that pinning each pair together with two little pieces of something like 1/16" gas-welding wire would be good enough if you're worried about slippage between them.

Norm

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
I imagine that pinning each pair together with two little pieces of something like 1/16" gas-welding wire would be good enough if you're worried about slippage between them.

Norm
Thanks Norm.

However I am not so handy as you might think, not to mention that I don't have tools for gas-welding.

So let me ask this way: is it a big no no to put two nylon spacers together? Or anything I should watch for if I use them together (like checking/tightening the nuts once in a while)?

Update: How about super-gluing nylon spacers together?

Last edited:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
You don't need the whole acetylene or Mapp-gas rig. Only a stick of the copper-coated filler wire that those processes use. Any welding supply store or maybe even HD or Lowes. Most coat hanger wire is probably a little too thick for the space available between ID and OD.

I've never tried to glue nylon, but I have my doubts that it can be bonded very well with commonly available products. That's why I suggested pinning the two pieces together instead. Once pinned, and held together by the fastener, there shouldn't be any slip between the two pieces.

A little Locktite on the fastener threads would be a good idea, though. Blue would be fine even if you don't think you'd ever want to undo this mod (as you might for resale or trade-in).

Norm

OP
OP

Horse

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
300 hp with 3 pedals
Thanks again.

I will see if I will be up to the job of welding. Meanwhile, I will try to find spacers of 1/2 thick, maybe I will be lucky enough to find them.

Yes, Loctite is a good idea. I will use blue loctite for sure.
Sponsored