Super Cobra Jet
FACTORY OPTIONS
SCJ Ram Air
MODS - WHEELS / TIRES / BRAKES
Cragar SST's
MODS - EXTERIOR
1980 Olds paint B8217LM - Autumn Maple Fire-mist Metallic. Lacquer
HISTORY / COMMENTS
I bought this Torino in 1979 or 1980 for $600.00! The car was completely disassembled by previous owner, including the engine. Everything was in cardboard boxes...a bit of a puzzle!
Hot tanked engine block, heads. Rebuilt engine using new Ford internals (new cam, all new bearings, pistons) plus some goodies like Cloyes double roller timing chain, new Holly 750 double pumper, Manley intake and exhaust valves/springs etc. 3" Hooker headers, dual exhaust. Nothing very exotic since I was strapped for cash.
We pulled 4:10 N center section 9" from a wrecked 69 or 70 Ford wagon rear end. Didn't even rebuild it...just threw it in and rolled the dice :). All new factory stock suspension and brakes, top loader 4 speed. New heavy duty clutch, pressure plate, bell housing, baffled oil pan. Added all NOS chrome trim when I could find it at local Ford dealer. Re chromed front and rear bumpers. I stripped the body down to bear metal as the original factory paint was shot. Originally sprayed a Ford red but didn't like it. Just didn't do it justice. Found a 1980 Olds paint I liked. Fixed body and used USC All Metal for body filler where needed. I sprayed this outside (used Devilbiss gun for top coat with Craftsman compressor....plenty of good lighting) with multiple coats of lacquer, all hand sanded between coats. 9 months of solid work every night and weekend to get it on the road. Ran great and I drove it until the snow came each year....Unfortunately I sold it in 1991 when we sold our house. Still kick myself for letting it go.
scan0004.JPG

Comments

OMG, Awesome Torino! One of my favorite body styles for sure.

OMG, Awesome Torino! One of my favorite body styles for sure.
Thanks. Always loved the Torinos, Falcons and Galaxy body style. Still beating myself up for letting this one go after so much work. Young and stupid at the time!

I sold my Dark Moss Green '67 Mustang Fastback GT390 and have regretted it ever since. It doesn't help that it went up in value 10X within a couple years after I sold it. From your list, looks like you've had some awesome Fords. Take care!

I sold my Dark Moss Green '67 Mustang Fastback GT390 and have regretted it ever since. It doesn't help that it went up in value 10X within a couple years after I sold it. From your list, looks like you've had some awesome Fords. Take care!
Thanks...my buddy had a 390 in a 67 as well. He gave my son the 68 we're currently restoring.
The 70 Cobra was getting 6 figures last time I saw one on Mecum. Mine was not concurse build but I'm sure it would get some nice $$$$ change if I had it now. My 21 GT/CS dulls the pain of parting with the 70 Cobra šŸ˜€

Nice! I just ordered a 2022 Mach 1 in Eruption Green a few weeks ago, thinking its going to look very much like my '67 only better at everything. I can't wait till spring, she's getting the handling pack so it will be April at the earliest because of the Cup2 tires.

Nice! I just ordered a 2022 Mach 1 in Eruption Green a few weeks ago, thinking its going to look very much like my '67 only better at everything. I can't wait till spring, she's getting the handling pack so it will be April at the earliest because of the Cup2 tires.
Thatā€™s awesome. Looks like a great color. Good luck with the M1. If I ever get rid of the GT/CS I would like a 69 Mach 1. Iā€™m spoiled now with the GT. I ordered it in June and it was built and delivered in August. I lucked out on the delivery.

Item information

Added by
Bobn57
Views
Comments
Last update

More in Other Vehicles (Non-Mustang)

More from Bobn57

Share this item