Jarstang

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
If there was any doubt the level of performance that Ford is gunning for with the 2019 GT500-or-whatever-its-called Mustang, the company made it more clear in these latest photos we obtained of the high performance S550 prototype being benchmarked against the Porsche 911 GT3.

While the Mustang's heavy camouflage still leaves a lot to the imagination, we can see a visible hood bulge and large, beefy tires all around as seen in previous prototypes. The vehicle has been spotted testing with increasing frequency which is great news particularly against vehicles with starting prices well into the six-figures.

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-1.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-2.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-3.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-4.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-5.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-6.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-7.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-8.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-9.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-10.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-11.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-12.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-13.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-14.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-15.jpg

2019-GT500-Mustang-Porsche-GT3-Benchmark-16.jpg
Sponsored

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Definite hood "bulge" and very wide back tires..........but who knows, the hood bulge could be there just to throw people off.

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
FORD, PLEASE TEST THIS IN HOTTER CLIMATES!

GT3 destroys vettes in Texas summer heat.

Please make sure this will hang with a 6 x 30 min session at MSR Cresson, MSR Houston, Harris Hill, Driveway Austin, etc.
Hit up Uvalde PG, Fort Stockton PG etc soon to get your real thermal test.

Nevermind testing at COTA and TWS, the fast course and long straights give a failed sense of cooling system capacity.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD

Please make sure this will hang with a 6 x 30 min session at MSR Cresson, MSR Houston, Harris Hill, Driveway Austin, etc.

Nevermind testing at COTA and TWS, the fast course and long straights give a failed sense of cooling system capacity.
I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing...:headbonk:

Sponsored

sigintel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ray
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
I'm pretty sure they know what they're doing...:headbonk:
There is a history of saving money on hot climate testing only to spend more than they saved on warranty repairs, bad press, and loss of grass roots motorsports users to 1LE cars.:frusty:

Would you agree that Ford did not WANT these to happen:
1. Tech pack GT350s going into limp
2. GT PP cars needing aftermarket differential, oil, trans coolers
3. All the 2015-2016 AC evaporator failures when the temperatures go up and the higher system pressure results in refrigerant leaking into the cabin

intoadaze

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Ivann
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT 5.0
Same headlights and taillights as current GT350, but the rear valance looks different.

1mic

Banned
2 mph so everybody sees u
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
God bless America, all 8.4 liters -Randy Pobst

GT3 is NA and lightweight

If this GT500 is supercharged you can kiss that competing in the summer heat good bye.

There has been magazine review of the ZL1 with 11 coolers tracking all day. But now that they are in customer hands, well...

Crazy high oil and transmission temps:
[ame]

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Everything is relative. You could buy 2 GT350 Mustangs and a year's worth of tires and gas(maybe a couple years) for the cost of 1 GT3......yes, GT3's "start" in the mid-$140's but we all know the reputation of Porsche option pricing.....I'm guessing most will sticker in the $180 - $200K range.

Sponsored

Moogatwo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ZL1 M6
I really love my GT350 and I'm super excited for the next halo mustang, but that GT3.....

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
There has been magazine review of the ZL1 with 11 coolers tracking all day. But now that they are in customer hands, well...

Crazy high oil and transmission temps:
Ooo, that is not good. Just when I thought GM had nipped this in the bud too.

Darkane

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Base
IMO these pictures are purely just to throw people off. You can benchmark the GT3 but why on the street? We already know the Porsche is going to be way more refined.

I would be more excited if they were on their way to a track somewhere. This is publicity.

It could just be to show that they benchmarked it for 1/4 mile times. The GT3 is gnarly fast in the 1/4.

l'Ingegnere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There is a history of saving money on hot climate testing only to spend more than they saved on warranty repairs, bad press, and loss of grass roots motorsports users to 1LE cars.:frusty:

Would you agree that Ford did not WANT these to happen:
1. Tech pack GT350s going into limp
2. GT PP cars needing aftermarket differential, oil, trans coolers
3. All the 2015-2016 AC evaporator failures when the temperatures go up and the higher system pressure results in refrigerant leaking into the cabin
1. Personally, I think that's the consumers fault for not understanding the packages that existed at that time. Probably also a shortcoming on Ford Marketing not doing a better job of differentiating the difference in capabilities between the packages.

2. I'm not familiar with issues pertaining to Mustang GT's, I don't pay much attention to them. I do think we have to ask what % of the consumer base is actually pushing these cars to that level of performance on track and if there is a even business case to satisfy such a small group of individuals.

3. Sounds more like a supplier issue to me. That said, there are always issues with a brand new generation of car, so I'm not that surprised.

Frankly, at this point, I'm sure Ford has had a chance to read all the negative feedback about the supercharged GM cars. In fact, they probably have a few of their own in the fleet for comparison. Look at the level of performance the GT350 Track Pack and GT350R are capable of, I have no doubt that Ford Performance knows what they are doing.
Sponsored