Sponsored

On Oahu for vacation

None2Slow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium, Performance package
I've been here since Saturday and it seems like every other car is a 6th gen Mustang. At the rental agency, every other car was a Mustang convertible. Unfortunately, I there were 5 of us and luggage, so yay me, I got a Honda CR-V. Anyb else notice an over abundance of Mustangs on the island? Made me want my 16 even more.
Sponsored

Allegro

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2018 RC GT Premium
I've been here since Saturday and it seems like every other car is a 6th gen Mustang. At the rental agency, every other car was a Mustang convertible. Unfortunately, I there were 5 of us and luggage, so yay me, I got a Honda CR-V. Anyb else notice an over abundance of Mustangs on the island? Made me want my 16 even more.
Mustang convertible rentals have always been big on the islands. I've rented numerous over the years, but few, if any, V/8s. I imagine they're all Ecos now.

Kep4

Jaeger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mustang GT PP1
Vacationed on the Big Island last week and my son and I were joking about the abundance of 2018 Mustang rental 'Verts! Dang drop-top ponies were everywhere!!!

Tobey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Vert
I rented an ecoboost convertible on the big island last fall. And yeah, there were a lot of them.

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Get some malasadas from Leonard's Bakery. At night drinks and pupus at Side Street Inn.

Sponsored

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
I was in Miami Beach two weeks ago and I saw many Eco Boost 2017-2018 Mustangs (Most verts and some fastbacks).

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
I was there in November, 2017 for a work trip, and had an Ecoboost 2017 coupe, which I rather liked around the island. Spooling up the turbo on Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, National only keeps Ecoboost coupes and convertibles for their Executive Elite folks, and you need to reserve a GT in a higher class to get one. I did see a bunch of GTs, both 2015-2017 and 2018s, in the parking garage at the airport when I was there a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I needed a bigger vehicle, so I ended up with a LOADED Ford Edge. Pity me.

JR

Timeless

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Limited
My wife and I were on the Big Island with two friends in April so we got a 4 door jeep which must be the second most popular vehicle to rent.

So much fun! Can't wait to go back.

Sponsored

MX Raptor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
From point "A" to point "B"
I was there in November, 2017 for a work trip, and had an Ecoboost 2017 coupe, which I rather liked around the island. Spooling up the turbo on Kamehameha Highway on the North Shore was a lot of fun. Unfortunately, National only keeps Ecoboost coupes and convertibles for their Executive Elite folks, and you need to reserve a GT in a higher class to get one. I did see a bunch of GTs, both 2015-2017 and 2018s, in the parking garage at the airport when I was there a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately, I needed a bigger vehicle, so I ended up with a LOADED Ford Edge. Pity me.

JR

Is that really the name of the highway? As a Dragonball anime fan, all I can think of is the Kamehameha Wave.. I tried to add a good GIF of it, but I'm not computer smart, I could only insert links..

QRK

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Premium
There are a ton where I live too. Every time I'm in downtown St. Augustine and see a silver non-GT Mustang convertible, I immediately know it's a rental and the drivers are tourists haha. I'm sure there are other colors but they mostly seem to be silver for some reason.

I'm sure there are plenty of rental GT convertibles too, just harder to spot out. The only time I actually knew I was looking at one was when I was at the Enterprise next to my dealer waiting on a loaner while my car was getting worked on. An older foreign couple came in to pick up their rental and it ended up being a white '18 GT convertible. It was pretty cool to see how excited they were when they got in and drove away.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
There are a ton where I live too. Every time I'm in downtown St. Augustine and see a silver non-GT Mustang convertible, I immediately know it's a rental and the drivers are tourists haha. I'm sure there are other colors but they mostly seem to be silver for some reason.
When the 2015s first came out, and I mean, June of 2014, we were headed down to Cudjoe Key with some friends, and rented a 4Runner in Ft. Lauderdale (we lived in SC at the time). Nearly every other car coming up and down US 1 from Key West was an S550 convertible. I had seen maybe two or three in Charleston, at that time, but here I was, seeing dozens, maybe hundreds of them.

Is that really the name of the highway? As a Dragonball anime fan, all I can think of is the Kamehameha Wave.. I tried to add a good GIF of it, but I'm not computer smart, I could only insert links..
Yup. King Kamehameha was a native Hawaiian that rose to overthrow all the other tribes on the Hawaiian islands and unite them as the Kingdom of Hawaii. Kamehameha Highway starts in Honolulu near the airprt, heads out towards Pearl Harbor and through Pearl City, then up through the middle of the island to Wahiawa, past Wheeler Army Airfield, Schofield Barracks, and the Dole Plantation, then up to Haleiwa, and around the North Shore to Kawela Bay. It then becomes HI-83, which heads back along the Windward side (eastern shore) of the island, back towards Kaneohe Bay. You can make most of a loop of the island using these two roads, plus HI-61 or H-3. Yes, there are 'Interstates' in Hawaii.

JR

Last edited:

whalesalad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Yep. They are extremely popular in Hawaii. Especially for Japanese tourists (who frequent the 808 often) because its such a fun American novelty for them.

I recently spent my honeymoon on Kauai and I was disgusted by how many of them were rolling around. One of them, surprisingly, had a black accent package.
Sponsored