Ford Co-Pilot360 to be standard on entire lineup

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
Ford just announced today that their new Ford Co-Pilot360 safety suite will be standard on all cars, starting with the 2019 Ford Edge this fall. This means the 2019 Mustangs won't get it since they're launching this summer, but I would assume it'll be standard on all 2020 and newer Mustangs. It includes backup camera, BLIS, Lane Keep Assist and Auto Emergency Braking. Those that don't like the nannies or certain price hike to come should grab a 2019. Glad the 2019 Bullitt will be spared even though the 2020s probably won't be.

Full press release here:
https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2018/03/15/ford-co-pilot360.html
1521136578980.jpg
Sponsored

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Lawyers win again. Since the package is $1,500 I'm guessing it'll be just under a $1k MSRP increase since it'll be standard.

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
This is the same direction Toyota already went. They're just following and so will the others.

5pointOh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 Ingot Silver "Millennium Falcon" @falcon_s550
This is the same direction Toyota already went. They're just following and so will the others.
Honda and Acura did it already like a year or two ago.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
I know they need it to be competitive, but I was hoping they'd exclude the Mustang. Nissan is another that has already rolled out the same thing for most models but the 370Z isn't included. I'm sure that's also partially because the 370Z is ancient, but it still would have been nice of Ford to have the option to not have all the safety tech in a sports car.

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
I know they need it to be competitive, but I was hoping they'd exclude the Mustang. Nissan is another that has already rolled out the same thing for most models but the 370Z isn't included. I'm sure that's also partially because the 370Z is ancient, but it still would have been nice of Ford to have the option to not have all the safety tech in a sports car.
At this point, I think this is more government driven. More safety = More $ saved and benefits. Unfortunately, this will all be mandatory soon regardless of car. Anything to reduce the # of deaths from distracted driving. Some of the systems are oversensitive and you have to adjust to the way they auto brake. I've seen some emergency brake systems slam on the brakes if you get too close to someone's bumper that is turning at a light but you're going straight even if you yourself know that you aren't going to hit them. You have to change your own driving style around the safety features somewhat. Some systems are better than others but like anything with time, they will get better.

The option is always there to turn it off at least, but then the argument will be, "I already paid for this!" :)

UAmach1

Bullitt Hopefull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford/INFINITI
More and more I feel like the older the car is teh better it tends to be. To work on, and enjoy driving.

Less electronics, easier to replace parts, lighter.

My old Mach1 sure isn't powerful by today's standards at just 305hp, but if they released the exact car with a Gen 3 5.0 in it I'd buy that car over anything else on the market. It was just a simple formula:. Engine, manual, rear end with a non-complicated body or long accessory list. The only modern feature that I would miss is bluetooth.

The more we move from that formula the more I find myself losing interest in new cars. As a person that enjoys driving, that kills me. I'd like to be in the 70-80's and still be rowing gears behind a dino burning v8 40-50years from now.

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
Which focus group decided Co-pilot was a good name for safety features? When I was a flight engineer, some of my scariest moments were when the copilot was flying the plane.

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
Blame us lazy distracted millennials that prefer auto and want to look at our phones when driving. Self driving Mustang sometime in 2020, not for me.

OP
OP
Bullitt

Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt
At this point, I think this is more government driven. More safety = More $ saved and benefits. Unfortunately, this will all be mandatory soon regardless of car. Anything to reduce the # of deaths from distracted driving. Some of the systems are oversensitive and you have to adjust to the way they auto brake. I've seen some emergency brake systems slam on the brakes if you get too close to someone's bumper that is turning at a light but you're going straight even if you yourself know that you aren't going to hit them. You have to change your own driving style around the safety features somewhat. Some systems are better than others but like anything with time, they will get better.

The option is always there to turn it off at least, but then the argument will be, "I already paid for this!" :)
This happened to me just last week in a new Mazda CX-5 I was driving. I hate it. And at least in the 2018 Mustangs with the Safe & Smart package, you can't turn off the auto braking permanently, only set it to a "Low" setting. If you could turn it off permanently I wouldn't mind it being standard. Right now if you want to turn it off it's buried in the center cluster settings and reactivates on each startup. This is one of the reasons why I'm keeping my 2019 Bullitt forever, one of the last Mustangs you can get with no annoying nannies.

EcoVert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost convertible
Vehicle Showcase
I hope they'll be some way to turn that sh!t off I don't want the car steering or braking for me only bad things can happen. Had a loaner Cherokee one time I had to open the door to back into a tight place and the damn thing applied the brakes and wouldn't let me back up it might not been so bad but the back up camera in it was crap.

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Should’ve called it this lol This is on the back of my “Miss Maggie”
7FC8945B-428C-47E7-A754-4166AA9B706F.jpeg
Sponsored