Sponsored

Manual Trans. Thud when shifting

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Is this normal or not? I notice a dull shounding/thud or bump when casually rowing through the gears. I still am learning to drive this car (last Mustang was a foxbody) but I wanted to see if you guys with the Manual transmissions have the same thing. Also, the shifter is a little notchy feeling at times as if I can feel the first bit of engagment in the gears mainly when shifting through the first 3 gears.
Sponsored

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
I get a tiny "thud" sometimes when shifting into another gear (driving casually). Pretty sure it's just some drivetrain slack or something. My S197 did the same thing.

C.Fair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Was the thudding ever a problem in terms of durability or did you ever have any issues with your S197 tranny? I haven't received my car yet, but this kinda got me paranoid. :ninja:

I get a tiny "thud" sometimes when shifting into another gear (driving casually). Pretty sure it's just some drivetrain slack or something. My S197 did the same thing.

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Was the thudding ever a problem in terms of durability or did you ever have any issues with your S197 tranny? I haven't received my car yet, but this kinda got me paranoid. :ninja:
No, never had any issues with my tranny at all. My buddy's Terminator did the same thing too. OP and I may not be talking about the same noise/feel though :shrug:

C.Fair23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium
Gotcha. Well still good to know it was never an issue though. Thanks. :thumbsup:

No, never had any issues with my tranny at all. My buddy's Terminator did the same thing too. OP and I may not be talking about the same noise/feel though :shrug:

Sponsored

Patrick S

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium 50 year Ap/Pkg
i have been listening for it in my car since i have read other accounts, and i am just not hearing or feeling anything. she shifts as smooth as butter for me.

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Ok, after driving it again (only 240 miles on the car) the thud is definitely coming from underneath the car somewhere in the drivetrain and its right as you can feel the syncros....right before it actually "goes into" gear with the clutch still depressed. The thud is a very solid and dull sound if that matters....i have been reading others experiencing the same thing...perhaps I am just being paranoid...ugh.

Darkrune

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CO EB
It is probably a mix of chatter and syncros. I dunno what the syncros are made of, but if it is bronze, then it would be louder than other cars. I wouldn't worry to much unless you hear whining or grinding.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
It's definitely there on my GT also. Sometimes louder than at other times. A few other people are reporting the same. One other member said his local dealer's service tech drove two other manuals and they were doing it to varying degrees as well. They claimed it was normal. I've owned many late model mustangs before the 2015 and none had this sound before. A bit disappointing, but hoping it gets better over time.

Sponsored

Flak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 SVT Fusion Coupe
  • Go back to dealer
  • Take tech for drive
  • Profit?
Get either peace of mind or a warranty fix, right?

OP
OP
Tele5.0

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
Thanks MustangD. makes me feel a little better. I drove the car again last night and just sitting in the garage, pushing the clutch in and starting to go into 2nd or 3rd just as you feel resistance without actually going into gear the THUD happens but then I can row around and there is not thud. It's almost like the "slack" is gone once there is the thud until the car moves, clutch is released and applied again. I also noticed the clutch linkage is noisy. Again, I just hope all of this is normal and there is not something wrong. I am not one to nit pick and I don't mind some "machine" noises as long as everything is functioning properly. I'm going to contact the dealer and get it in soon though to have them check it out. the last thing I have to compare all of this to is a 1993 5.0 LX Coupe with a 5 speed so.......been out of the game for a while.

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Is this normal or not? I notice a dull shounding/thud or bump when casually rowing through the gears. ...
It's definitely there on my GT also. Sometimes louder than at other times. ...
I get a tiny "thud" sometimes when shifting into another gear (driving casually). Pretty sure it's just some drivetrain slack or something. ...
Let's get those Ponies running smooth, Tele5.0, MustangDirector, and Mangrove Mafia.

Checking in with your dealer is a great first step; let me know when you do so.

Also, as I'm seeing this is more than an isolated case, I want to document your product feedback. If interested, please send me your VINs and any additional details about the noise you are hearing while shifting.

Rachel

RADARB8

***** Troll
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP2
Let's get those Ponies running smooth, Tele5.0, MustangDirector, and Mangrove Mafia.

Checking in with your dealer is a great first step; let me know when you do so.

Also, as I'm seeing this is more than an isolated case, I want to document your product feedback. If interested, please send me your VINs and any additional details about the noise you are hearing while shifting.

Rachel
Hi Rachel,

It's definitely a non-issue for me, as I experienced a similar feel on my S197 and have felt it in numerous other manual trans 'Stangs. I can't say for certain that what I'm referring to is exactly what the OP is asking about though. Thanks for following up though! :thumbsup::ford:

FordService

Ford Customer Care
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Hi Rachel,

It's definitely a non-issue for me, as I experienced a similar feel on my S197 and have felt it in numerous other manual trans 'Stangs. I can't say for certain that what I'm referring to is exactly what the OP is asking about though. Thanks for following up though! :thumbsup::ford:
My pleasure, Mangrove Mafia! I'm here if you have any questions.

Rachel :ford:
Sponsored