Sponsored

Any motorcycle rider here? I need advice. First time rider and buyer

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Hi brothers,

Im thinking getting my motorcycle license next spring but looking to get the bike now since it is the best time to buy. Ill have a friend who ride to ride it back. Im thinking getting a used bike around 1000 - 1500. I have a few questions.

1) What bike would fit my budget? cc?

2) What are some thing I need to look at when Im buying an used bike?

3) Where can I start looking for one?

4) What is your advice for a first time rider like me?

Thanks,
Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
advice. Dont do it.

It is not a matter of if, but when will go go down because of an ass hat inattentive driver.

Me, I spent 6 months in the hospital in the early 90's from someone turning left in front of me. No matter how carefull you are. Someone else will screw it up. Best to just not get one.

MikeD1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Challenger Hellcat
advice. Dont do it.

It is not a matter of if, but when will go go down because of an ass hat inattentive driver.

Me, I spent 6 months in the hospital in the early 90's from someone turning left in front of me. No matter how carefull you are. Someone else will screw it up. Best to just not get one.
^^^ This !

Have had many friends badly injured on bikes, all were experienced riders and they were all minding their own business/not hotdogging etc. when it happened.

Pnasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT/CS Ruby
meh, you can seriously reduce your risks by being an attentive rider and taking steps to make yourself safe, of course if you just cruise spaced out in the fast lane someone is going to eventually hit you. what style bike are you looking at? probably worth saving a little more to get a newer reliable bike

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I motorcycle rider first, the Mustang is for rainy days and winter (j/k). I also work in the motorcycle industry. I've been on 2 wheels for over 26 years now (as a licensed rider), I've also been a certified rider coach and former armature road racer ... I work with facts and experience, not hearsay.

Is it dangerous, hell yes. But with a level head and right attitude it is the most fun you can have on the road.

Unfortunately your budget isn't going to get you much on the used market (anything reliable anyway) most good used 50cc scooters go for that.

Don't be afraid to start small. Small bikes hold their value really well you can typically sell it for what you paid (used, not new). A used bike is great for getting into riding and will get the basics out of the way so when you make the jump onto a larger bike you'll be more comfortable.

You need to decided what kind of bike your looking for too. Something on the cruiser side, something sporty or something in between. That will help a lot when it comes to choosing the right bike.

I work at Loudoun Motorsports... Depending on where in MD you are you might not be that far away from me.

Sponsored

ied0135

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB EB PP MT
It's going to be tough in that budget, but the first thing to do is find out if you want a cruiser or sport. On a cruiser, for that budget you aren't going to be able to get anything over 1200CC. You'll be lucky, I think, if you can find a good enough 1200. I'd get something in the 950 range. That's what I have now and started on. Yamaha Bolt.

If you're going with a sport bike, go with a 600CC MAX. You don't need to start on something bigger than that. I wouldn't go as low as a 250 either, because you'll be bored in 3 months of riding. Just too small of a bike. Look at older used Kawasaki Ninjas.

Biggest thing I'm concerned about for you is buying that cheap of a bike and it's reliability. You don't wanna get stranded on the side of a highway all the time. I had a buddy that bought a cheap bike and he'd break down every time he rode with us.

I also agree with everything that BurnCycle said. All of it.

Besides picking a bike, the class itself to get a license may seem annoying or pointless but it's not. The class will teach you an amazing amount of things on riding, being safe, and keeping your head on a swivel. Yes, a motorcycle is very dangerous but I love it. You will too when you get used to it. You just have to be VERY aware of your surrounding and never get too comfortable. Always stay cautious and you'll be able to avoid a lot of idiots on the road/debris on the ground.

Also, always always always assume other drivers don't see you. They most likely don't anyways. People always say it's not if you go down, but when. I grew up on dirt bikes so I knew how to ride but I've only been on the road for 2 years and haven't gone down yet. It's a whole different animal so definitely start saving money to get the right gear. Jacket, helmet, gloves. I have all of that and then some for the inevitable day.

Last edited:

Clump

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
I'm old (turn 56 in the next 2 weeks) and been riding for a long time. It is absolutely dangerous and it is absolutely some of the most fun you can have. You need to be hyper alert and listen to your gut.

BurnCycle gave some great advice. I'd like to add that taking the basic riders course is a great way to get started. They provide the bike and you'll come away with a license. It should help you get a feel for if you really want to ride without having to buy a bike, insurance, etc. first. It used to be offered at most community colleges in the state, but at least in Frederick they moved it to the Harley dealer.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I became a rider in 2005. My first bike, a 2003 Yamaha R1. Yep, I went big right off the bat. But you know what, never laid it down and never got a ticket because I have self-control. When I moved from NC to WY I sold the R1 and bought a cruiser in 2009. Main reason was because the roads weren't nearly as fun in Wyoming...mostly straight, not well maintained and too easy to just open it up and break laws.

What helped me immensely when I first started riding was I had a group of coworkers who all rode liter bikes. I rode with them every weekend and learned from them. I also took the Sports Rider Course that MSF offered and read the book "A Twist of the Wrist 2" by Keith Code. It's an excellent book and gives many tips on how to be an attentive and safe rider.

Are bikes dangerous? Not at all, but other drivers are. You aren't as visible as a rider and therefore have higher chances of being in an accident. I've been a rider for 10 years and haven't had an accident yet, however I always have my head on a swivel, I always wear full body protection (never wear t-shirts or tennis shoes) and I always assume that every other driver on the road is going to be the one to pull out in front of me.

David@Steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.steeda.com
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Bolt-on, slammed S197
[MENTION=20751]BurnCycle[/MENTION] [MENTION=15617]ied0135[/MENTION] and [MENTION=13520]Evolvd[/MENTION] all gave great advice and I most definitely agree. Taking the MSF course should definitely be the first step and they will teach you the basics. You can find the closest course to you here: http://www.msf-usa.org/

Always wear gear and assume everyone on the road either doesn't see you or is out to get you - this will hopefully avoid putting you in an unexpected situation. The drivers in Florida are horrendous, a lot of which are either texting and not looking at the road, or they're much older and probably shouldn't be driving. I'd take the bike out much more if it weren't for the drivers down here.

Make sure you have a tech or someone familiar with bikes look over that one you're considering to ensure it's reliable. Ride safe and good luck!

OP
OP
JungleG1337

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Thanks for the advice bros. [MENTION=20751]BurnCycle[/MENTION], Im located in the Gaithersburg area. I am planning to attending the class at Montgomery College. I can up my budget a bit to get a decent Ninja or CBR 300. This will not become my daily but rather a joy bike during summer time.

Sponsored

Tele5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015, PP, GT
My first bike... was a 1998 ZX9 with a muzzy jet kit, header and pipe. At the time it was one of the fastest production bikes out....then came the Hayabusa and the R1 but still.......

I went big my first bike like Evolvd did. The one thing I tell people is this....buy something that scares you. You need to "respect" the bike. Most everyone will tell you to start small but I am telling you, if you get a 600 or something like that, within 6 months you wont think its very fast anymore and if your not careful, you will start "riding over your head" and THAT is when bad things happen. I dont know how the 600s are these days but back then, they would barely outrun a bolt on Vette or Z28.

My 9R scared me until the day I sold it. 10k miles later and I never dropped it. Came close a couple of times but never did. Good advice in here but seriously, respect the machine and expect drivers to do the unexpected at all times.

also, few riding tips. There is a such thing as riding aggressively. What I mean is, Cars like to drive in packs. Dont get caught in or beside those packs. Us the throttle and accelerate away from cars ALWAYS. Never drive beside them or in their blind spots and ALWAYS try to find the "gaps" in traffic to cruise. Then, if needed ...accelerate to the next "gap".

best of luck. just my .02

BurnCycle

I drank what?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Thanks for the advice bros. [MENTION=20751]BurnCycle[/MENTION], Im located in the Gaithersburg area. I am planning to attending the class at Montgomery College. I can up my budget a bit to get a decent Ninja or CBR 300. This will not become my daily but rather a joy bike during summer time.
The course is awesome. Its also a great way of seeing what the next steps should be. A few people get through the course and are extremely confident about how things went and look to something like the Ninja 650 (EX650) or FZ6R or FZ07. Others may get through the course and make the determination that a 250/300 is the best thing to be on until the confidence and skills are up.

My bits of advise (as a former instructor):
1. Breath
2. Don't fear the box
3. Have fun and actively participate in the discussion in the class and after the exercises

I started small and believe one of the reasons I'm still riding today is because I did.

I do have a used CBR250 here at the shop for sale. PM me if you would like more info.

OP
OP
JungleG1337

JungleG1337

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost
Will do. When I have everything sort out. Thanks again.

Qwkynuf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ruby Red Mustang GT
My dad bought me my first dirt bike when I was 6. I just turned 50 and have pretty much owned at least one bike during every one of the 44 years in between. Dad was an instructor with the MSF (Motorcycle Safety Foundation), and had a unique way of putting things. I will share some of the tips that he gave me (and a couple of things that I learned on my own)

1) "If you are riding a motorcycle, and you are involved in an accident, it is your fault." In other words, you made a choice to venture out into a situation where everyone around you is protected by thousands of pounds of metal, while you are not. You need to get it in your head that you are 100% responsible for making sure that you arrive at your destination safely. No one else is going to take on that responsibility for you. If doesn't matter if the driver of the car "didn't see you". Why didn't you see them?

2) "Look everywhere, all the time". Look at every single vehicle which could potentially intersect your path. Really look at them. And when you do, ask yourself this: "What is this idiot about to do that's going to fuck up my day?" Anticipate. Plot vectors. Evaluate each scenario that you envision in real time, making adjustments until that vehicle is no longer a threat. This will keep you on your toes, keep you alert.

3) Think about visibility. All of the time. Actively place yourself so that you are visible to drivers. Do what is within your power to ensure that you are seen. When I am riding in traffic, I always make sure that I am visible in at least 2 mirrors of the car in front of me. And I *never* ride in the blind spot of another vehicle. (In this case, I define "blind spot" as any location where I can't see the driver's eyes)

4) "The trail leading up to your corpse should not be made up of pieces of your corpse." Wear safety gear. All the time. Leather or Cortech (rip-stop ballistic nylon). No exposed skin. Jeans and a t-shirt aren't going to do shit for you except make it harder to clean your wounds when the worst happens and you find yourself on a belt sander at 60 or 70mph. As a side note, wear a real DOT/Snell approved helmet. Why do you think they make them? Wear boots that cover your ankles - ankle bones are an exposed high spot, and I have seen them ground almost completely off in accidents. Wear gloves - again, Cortech or leather. If you go down, the instinct is to try to break your fall with your hands. Think about what asphalt or concrete are going to do to your bare hands at speed.....

5) "Your brakes will get you out of a lot more trouble than your gas." Seriously. Adding velocity to an already iffy situation is stupid.

6) "You don't "lay a bike down" to avoid an accident. Laying a bike down *is* an accident". If you lay a bike down, you have given up all control over the speed and direction of that bike. Don't do it.

7) Take the Beginning Biker course (twice, if you can). It is the best deal on 2 wheels. Typically, for 100 or 150 bucks you will get a couple of hours of classroom instruction and 4 or 5 hours of closed course riding. Usually they provide the bikes, little lightweight 125cc ones most times, and helmets, though I always recommend bringing your own. Face it - if you have never ridden a motorcycle before, you are going to drop it at least once - why not drop theirs?

8) Riding slowly is *WAY* harder than riding quickly. Practice riding slowly. Walking speed. Ride slow slaloms in empty parking lots. Practice low speed u-turns. Practice braking - hard - so that you know how the bike is going to behave in an emergency. If you are like most people that I have ridden with, you will find it easier to turn left at low speeds than right. Don't practice just the stuff that comes easy to you. Practice what you struggle with.

9) Despite what you hear from the "Live Fast, Die Young, Leave a Good Looking Corpse" crowd, don't buy more bike than you can handle to begin with. Speed and acceleration are addictive drugs. If you have them, you will want to use them. As mentioned above, used bikes actually hold their value really well. If you spend 1500-2000 dollars on a 10 year old bike, and don't wreck it, you will very likely be able to sell it in 6 months to a year for the same 1500-2000 dollars, and trade up to something bigger/better.

10) Try to buy a lightweight bike to start off. You are almost certainly going to be picking it up at least once - do yourself a favor.

11) Manage space. Remember that as a vehicle, you are entitled to the full width of your lane. If you are riding in the right lane, try to stay in the left tire track. Nobody is going to try to pass you on your right, but they will squeeze in from the left if you rid in the oil stripe (DON"T DO IT!!!!) or the right track. If you are stopped in traffic, don't pull right up to the bumper of the car in front of you. It not only makes you harder to see, it leaves you without an escape route if it looks like the car behind you isn't going to stop. If you leave half a car length in front, it gives you room to bail out left or right in an emergency, and also gives you room to creep forward if the car behind you stops too close and invades your "bubble"

It's a lot to think about, and a lot of responsibility, but it's a lot of fun too - and totally worth it if you keep your head on straight. We always leave home intending to make it home in one piece, but we don't always do the things which are in our power to help make it happen.

Good luck with whatever you decide.