Ceramic Coating headers?

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Maybe it's the difference of stainless but my non-stainless BBKs came ceramic coated and the coating is falling off and they are rusting. On previous cars that I've had Kooks or ARH stainless, no coating and no problems.

marylandspeed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Do not wrap headers. There is a reason back in the day that all the race teams used wrapped headers, and now they use coated headers. The wrap traps heat between the header and the wrap and cooks the welds. Think of it like a pile of clothes you pull out the drier and toss on the bed. When you come back an hour later, the center of the pile will still be hot. Same with coated headers.

In terms of the whole coated vs. not coated with stainless, it really is not a MUST, but it is nice. Stainless does not retain heat like the stock manifolds, but coating is still that much better and cools faster.

Sponsored

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Do not wrap headers. There is a reason back in the day that all the race teams used wrapped headers, and now they use coated headers. The wrap traps heat between the header and the wrap and cooks the welds. Think of it like a pile of clothes you pull out the drier and toss on the bed. When you come back an hour later, the center of the pile will still be hot. Same with coated headers.

In terms of the whole coated vs. not coated with stainless, it really is not a MUST, but it is nice. Stainless does not retain heat like the stock manifolds, but coating is still that much better and cools faster.
Ive been coating my headers on all my race cars. I found it to be very helpful for people pushing close to 4 digits or more.

beefcake

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Mustang
never really saw much of a need for it with most headers being 304 stainless. we have had our headers on our 2011 car for years, and they still look great.

we run low 8s on non coated headers, and should be hitting 7s this year

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Another added benefit of coating is heat scavenging. Hotter air moves through the exhaust easier due to lower density.

I had my evo header, turbo hot side and downpipe coated with JetHot and it was a great product. Pricey for us, they quoted me $700 to coat my SW headers

Excelerater

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I plan on coating my headers when I buy them to keep under hood temps down

I had a coated set on my race car and it was a huge improvement
and they cooled off fast in between rounds for plug checks . While coatings are
not needed they are a nice addition,they also come in colors if thats your thing

OP
OP

CompStang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandon
Vehicle(s)
2015 Competition Orange GT
Unless you are in Dubai, I wouldn't suggest coating 304SS headers.
[MENTION=11563]SteveDoten@ARHeaders[/MENTION] I am curious as why you suggest not to coat headers? The benefit I am thinking mostly is under hood temperatures. I think it would be more beneficial to keep things in the engine bay cooler. I also believe if you can contain some of the heat in the headers then exhaust should flow out quicker.

Sponsored

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
[MENTION=11563]SteveDoten@ARHeaders[/MENTION] I am curious as why you suggest not to coat headers? The benefit I am thinking mostly is under hood temperatures. I think it would be more beneficial to keep things in the engine bay cooler. I also believe if you can contain some of the heat in the headers then exhaust should flow out quicker.
I am interested in this as well, was looking to go full SW and some ceramic coating.

Performance nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT A10
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Kooks headers coated with Maryland Speed. They definitely keep underhood temps down. One of the things I noticed immediately was, with my window down, I could feel heat rising from under the car with my stock exhaust manifolds. Now, I can put my head at the bottom of my car and not feel much radiant heat.

As far as performance goes, no idea and honestly, I didn't really care about that. All about keeping heat inside.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
Swain white lightning is the best.
This is what me research is telling me but i am still a bit confused as to stainles s headers and this coating.

Is this not allowed, others have said this wouldn't be a problem.

bigjohns97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT 401a M6 RR
I got my Kooks headers coated with Maryland Speed. They definitely keep underhood temps down. One of the things I noticed immediately was, with my window down, I could feel heat rising from under the car with my stock exhaust manifolds. Now, I can put my head at the bottom of my car and not feel much radiant heat.

As far as performance goes, no idea and honestly, I didn't really care about that. All about keeping heat inside.
[MENTION=13927]Performance nut[/MENTION]

What did they coat them with?

How long have you had them? any cracking?

Is your car a DD?
Sponsored