Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
I might even just trailer it up to Adam "7 hrs " and dyno it before spring.
Sponsored

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
That is a 1000 cheaper than the MAP kit price.

I will say this, these manufacturers better wise up. There are journal bearing turbo kits in the 3k to 4k range for comparable cars that include an intercooler, intercooler piping and an exhaust manifold/downpipe for comparable model vehicles.

The kits being offered in the 3 to 4k price range for the EB do not include an intercooler, exhaust manifold or full piping. And that manifold adapter is peanuts compared to an entire manifold.

Right now about $2400

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic

I will say this, these manufacturers better wise up. There are journal bearing turbo kits in the 3k to 4k range for comparable cars that include an intercooler, intercooler piping and an exhaust manifold/downpipe for comparable model vehicles.

The kits being offered in the 3 to 4k price range for the EB do not include an intercooler, exhaust manifold or full piping. And that manifold adapter is peanuts compared to an entire manifold.
LOL, they better "wise up?". Read my post above in regards to the $1,000.00 difference.

Edit - And I didn't even mention the many other benefits of going with a production kit.

He also cut up an intake he already had, and a charge pipe he already had. Those both are included in production kits. I imagine he also cut up a downpipe he already had as well.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM

I think the OP's kit turned out great - kudos to him!
Manifold adapters aren't peanuts when they are 304 cast stainless twin scroll

The very first big turbo kit was made here at cp-e and had a manifold similar to those who are DIY-ing
(see pic)
The sad truth is they crack
Making a kit is one thing, service life and reliability are important parts of the equation as well

MagneticEB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Mustang
mad props for doing it yourself but i like the piece of mind on pre-built kits. I am not skilled enough to do something like that. Looks good and i bet when done it will be really fun.

Sponsored

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
We agree on the advantages (which is why I do not want to fab my own kit), where we don't agree is that it should not be cheaper to sources new parts on your own. The OP didn't mention anything about paying wholesale pricing either.

I do see that the MAP kit comes with a base map and some heat shielding which is nice, I would guess he is closer to being +500 or less rather than being +1000 after knowing that and what you've explained.

LOL, they better "wise up?". Read my post above in regards to the $1,000.00 difference.

Edit - And I didn't even mention the many other benefits of going with a production kit.

He also cut up an intake he already had, and a charge pipe he already had. Those both are included in production kits. I imagine he also cut up a downpipe he already had as well.

Ron@cp-e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
whoosh
Vehicle(s)
2015 EBM
We agree on the advantages (which is why I do not want to fab my own kit), where we don't agree is that it should not be cheaper to sources new parts on your own. The OP didn't mention anything about paying wholesale pricing either.

I do see that the MAP kit comes with a base map and some heat shielding which is nice, I would guess he is closer to being +500 or less rather than being +1000 after knowing that and what you've explained.
if you are looking to save money and go with an old school journal bearing turbo, then this route may be ideal

I prefer EFR turbos and the benefits of using a more more efficiently designed and quicker spooling turbo
EFR turbos are over $2200 alone

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
Agreed, but a DIYer cannot invest in casting their own parts. Maybe in 5 or 10 years with 3d printing, something similar may come about, but as you know casting doesn't pay off unless it is ordered in large batches.

That's a nice looking piece. If I were fabricating it, I would tig together mild steel flanges and something thicker than 065 wall mild steel. That and a few well placed supporting gussets and supporting braces under the turbo should stop the cracking. If that failed, I'd order the cast piece :)

Manifold adapters aren't peanuts when they are 304 cast stainless twin scroll

gte

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Focus RS
I also prefer the EFR turbos, I used a journal bearing in my post because that is what the OP had and what MAP offers in their standard kit. We're on the same page.

if you are looking to save money and go with an old school journal bearing turbo, then this route may be ideal

I prefer EFR turbos and the benefits of using a more more efficiently designed and quicker spooling turbo
EFR turbos are over $2200 alone

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Yes I modified my sw down pipe, map charge pipe and mmr cold air intake. Yes the turbo adapter is made out of 1/2" mild steel flanges and 1/8 wall sheet for the center pieces. The wastegate pipe is .120 wall dom. I'd be surprised if it cracked lol but I'll make a better one then. Lol

Sponsored
OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
I would tig but don't own one " yet "

Brad

Owner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tesla Model S - Big Turbo EB
My friend did a write up on the supra forums comparing the EFR 8374 Twin Scroll to the PTE6466 T3. BW spooled 70rpm faster but PTE had 50 more peak whp. I think the performance ascpects are minimal at best, especially when comparing smaller turbos (5862 v 7670 etc). Only reason I would get a BW is for water cooling or because of precision's quality control scarlet letter. I guess we won't really know until these kits get proper dyno runs for direct comparison.

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
O ya I'm also running the dei turbo blanket and down pipe wrap.

OP
OP
Eco85

Eco85

Mad Scientist
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Justin
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang
Here are the videos i promised and sorry for the crappy quality !!!:ford:

[ame]

[ame]

[ame]

Tune+

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Mustang Automatic
Looks and sounds great! Glad you took my advice and recirculated the external wastegate dump.

She looks nice and smooth, meth FTW!
Sponsored