Auto Transmission metal clanking sound

hauntedone

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cris
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Ive had mine fixed for over 1,000 miles now. the dealer replaced the front flange and the problem has gone away. Ive posted before but people have missed it.
Sponsored

Faris14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium
Hey guys, I think my car is developing the same issue. It's a 2016 Mustang GT Auto. The car is two weeks old and this is totally unacceptable. I took it to the dealership today and the service guy said that's normal! I spoke with the manager and he told me to bring it back on Thursday for further inspections because I have other problems which are paint imperfection and vibration starts right over 55 mph. I uploaded couple videos on Youtube. Let me know what you guys think.

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]d_cjzdB4ah0[/MEDIA]"]

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]tiMaj-LoH68[/MEDIA]"]

Last edited:

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
Hey guys, I think my car is developing the same issue. It's a 2016 Mustang GT Auto. The car is two weeks old and this is totally unacceptable. I took it to the dealership today and the service guy said that's normal! I spoke with the manager and he told me to bring it back on Thursday for further inspections because I have other problems which are paint imperfection and vibration starts right over 55 mph. I uploaded couple videos on Youtube. Let me know what you guys think.

Yep... You have the clank. Surprised it's still an issue for the 2016. Replacing the output flange of the transmission resolved it for me... Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT

Take a copy of this thread to the dealership. Primarily the posts that stated replacing driveshaft did zero to help the issue, and the front flange seems to be the fix.

Faris14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium
Yep... You have the clank. Surprised it's still an issue for the 2016. Replacing the output flange of the transmission resolved it for me... Good luck.

Sent from my LG-H810 using Tapatalk
I can't believe they didn't fix this issue. They should've handled this problem in the 2016! I'll ask them to replace the output flange. How many miles have you put on the car after you they replaced the output flange? I just want to make sure this is a permanent solution.

Take a copy of this thread to the dealership. Primarily the posts that stated replacing driveshaft did zero to help the issue, and the front flange seems to be the fix.
Thank you for the response. I'll print out what I can find, and if you know any post numbers that specify the solution, please let me know.
I wonder if this is related to the vibration +55 mph

Sponsored

bstreet5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Street
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem OF (on order)
I can't believe they didn't fix this issue. They should've handled this problem in the 2016! I'll ask them to replace the output flange. How many miles have you put on the car after you they replaced the output flange? I just want to make sure this is a permanent solution.

Thank you for the response. I'll print out what I can find, and if you know any post numbers that specify the solution, please let me know.
I wonder if this is related to the vibration +55 mph
I only have about 7400 miles total on the car. About 1/2 of that came after the repair so all I can tell you is so far so good. I had no vibration issues with mine either before or after.

Poppacapp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Took my car in for oil change today and asked them to look into the clank sound. They said the noise is coming from the front flange, and they are ordering the parts. I will update after its repaired.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
This is a 2016 GT with almost 500 miles on it. Is this the so called clank?
[ame]

Faris14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium
I took the car to the dealership and the service guy said that sound is normal! I wonder if any of you guys live in Southern California. My dealership seems to be not concerned about fixing the clanking sound and saying there's nothing to be worried about! I even printed out some of your helpful posts for them. I'm thinking about taking the car to another dealership. Any suggestions?

Sponsored

Faris14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium
Unfortunately they said that sound is normal! I'll take the car to a different dealership but I'm afraid they will say the same!

jwillis1204

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium
Just noticed this on my 2016 Mustang GT. Only 400 miles in.
Mine started clunking around 2000 miles, and now at 4000 miles it's pretty consistently doing it every time I engage reverse while the car is cold. I wasn't going to worry about it until I saw this thread... Probably going to head to the dealer sometime this week.

So excited to have a seemingly serious issue this early :ford:.

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Hey Faris14

I currently live in southern California and I have been dealing with this problem for a good time now going on 35 days that my car has been at the dealership. The noise is not normal. MY clunk noise shakes my car that you can feel it inside. The noise is intermittent, if you compare your car to another one , the noise will no be there. Is you car a v6 or v8 ? The drive line components are different for each drive train.

Faris14

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ruby Red GT Premium
Good morning Jlfierros,

I'm glad they acknowledge the issue and trying to fix it. Wow 35 days without finding a fix! My car is V8 Auto. I wonder which dealership it is so I can make an appointment with them. Do you have the vibration issue while driving in the 6th gear over 55 mph?

Jlfierros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Faris14,

There lies the distinction, MY car is a v6 you have the v8. The v8 has a different drive train with different parts. The v8 drive shaft is a piece of junk. Read all the previous threads on this site. Make sure you speak with the service manager not the service writer and show him some threads so that they can fix your car right.
Sponsored